amuck-landowner

Why is there no maximum wage

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Be honest: how diverse do you think a forum full of English-speaking tech enthusiasts with the disposable income to buy and operating hosting businesses and services is?
I don't think it (this forum) is as diverse as an academic study operated in some laboratory setting claims to be.  But I don't believe it is as non-diverse as a church group in my neighborhood where half the parish is related to one another.  

Heck, I am not even sure if we here blend ourselves into the middle ground or even a norm.  Fairly balanced and broad representation except for current income or aspirations for said.

Obvious that some folks here might be of certain socio-economic group in their country.  But the pure economic component even from country to country can be pretty different.  Middle class in one country and poor by standards in other.  Yes, comparing to local populaces might enjoy common higher living standard.  There are still many people laboring under caste and caste-like systems.  

Now, be fair, English speaking tongues often outside US and UK are tongues shared by other languages.  A non-native English speaker brings many different experiences, views, regional traits, etc. typically.

Utopia here?  No, but there is a good bit of diversity.  What is absent?  The same thing that is in all tech environments, women / females.   That surely indicates the biggest diversity lacking area.  That's a good discussion itself.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
What are we going to do when robots begin replacing labor en masse.  
Many sci-fi pieces have been wrote about this right?

Fairly common concept that human herd most likely will be intentionally thinned in the future.

I grew up in a steel producing town in the shadows of the smokestacks.   I saw massive and instant decline of an industry that seemed too big, too heavy, too import taxable to just up and disappear.

Folks still blame steels decline on Asia and Eastern Europe and near free labor plus no real environmental regulations.  Even though there is truth look at  all the other parts that are more under domestic control to regulate that. Tariffs come to mind first.  Voting politicians out of office for inaction comes to mind second.

At the end of the day, steels decline was starting phase of the disinvestment in the United States.  Steel hasn't been needed at scale since the 1960's in the US.  Major projects have been way reduced.   Maintaining public infrastructure has gone way downhill to nearly no investment.   The cost due to price inflation has ballooned.  While in Asia, population growth, growing populations and nearby buyers of steel for new construction.

If at the grassroots level people started cleaning up the neighborhoods (yes for now I still reside in a city), investing in run down homes, mentoring youths, interacting with their neighbors, etc. it would shuffle the deck and stem declines.

People will cry it takes money.  Yes it does, some money, not millions of taxpayer dollars.  A can of paint, some brushes, some bags, gloves, shovels.  Pretty reasonable and finite list.

In those sort of communities alternative currencies like barter will naturally develop as trust is built.  Others will gain employment through their relationships.  Economics will diversify some away from that historic company owned town employee abuse relationship.

Those communities, they'll do alright, no they'll do much better absent government handouts and entitlements. They'll do better in the new or no economy than folks think.  Problem is getting these people to realize that before violence and revolution chants are sounded.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
No LA for me, never been fond of cities in Cali.  Did live in NYC for 6 months and that was quite enough :)

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
No LA for me, never been fond of cities in Cali.  Did live in NYC for 6 months and that was quite enough :)
Louisiana suh, not Los Angeles :p.  Referencing the 'parish' quote - we're the only state that has 'em, and it's pretty rare to run into someone that remembers the original meaning of the word when not talking about government mappings.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Funny @Aldryic ;)

You go to many inner cities and it's confusion and relationships and strange family reunions these days. 

Louisiana ain't so bad.  I think it gets a bad rap.  Driving straight up the middle of the state though like I did on one trip was slow and cop infested.  No one looked happy and every home on that route was up on blocks. :)

Shh, don't hate me.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Yah, see, this is why I live down in the corner, by the Gulf :p  Baton Rouge and Alexandria are horrible places -_-.  And once you get up around Jackson and Ouchita... eeeeeeeeeeeeh almost as bad as going to Texas >_>

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Oh noted you don't like Texas.  I surely didn't like east Texas.  Hated Oklahoma (no offense to the board Okies).

Far West Texas and down in what ought to be Mexico, it's neat out there.  

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
East Texas, aye... being their neighbor is likely what caused my animosity there :p  Haven't spent enough time in West Texas or Oklahoma to form any opinion of them though.

Admittedly though, my dislike of Orange/Beaumont/etc PALES in comparison for the absolute intolerance I have of Jersey and California :3

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Intolerances :) Your sentiments are shared by me on NJ and CA :)

Montana and Idaho are appealing to me these days.  If I could just get use the winters.  

I need a winter time share location somewhere warm.

amuck-landowner