amuck-landowner

Windows Sidebar Vulnerability (Windows Vista and 7)

Magiobiwan

Insert Witty Statement Here
Verified Provider
I think the main concern is that a user could be tricked into installing a widget by some site/fake download. So long as its enabled, it's a risk.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Well old news or not, I still can't figure out why folks stick with Windows.  Soooooo many security issues (I think they are features :) ...

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Well old news or not, I still can't figure out why folks stick with Windows.  Soooooo many security issues (I think they are features :) ...
Well I can think of a few major things that's keeping Windows dominant. 

Many enterprise-level software requires Windows.  I mean yeah there are alternatives to Microsoft Office Powerpoint (like LibreOffice Presenter or whatever it's called) but Microsoft Office Powerpoint just makes making powerpoints so convenient, also because most/all company systems are already on Linux it has a higher barrier of switch to Linux (especially when other people are already used to Windows).

Going another level deep, for Civil Engineers (such as myself) AutoCAD, MOUSE, Mike URBAN, HEC-RAS/HEC-HMS, etc. tools all require Windows to run (and Wine doesn't cut it most of the time).  There's no good alternative out for Linux which sucks.  This is actually probably why I'm still using Windows, because of these software limitations.  I mean for the general users and people focused in IT it does everything you need, but specialized individuals don't have the convenience of a product in linux.  

Also, videogames.  Just putting it here.  videogames.  

Security may be an issue, but when you have no better alternative you have to tread lightly to make sure it all works and gets you from point A to B no matter how battered up you get (because there's no alternative path).  

This sucks. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Magiobiwan

Insert Witty Statement Here
Verified Provider
I'm debating keeping mine enabled for the CPU/RAM meter widget. And the HE.net IPv4 exhaustion widget. EDIT: And the sliding puzzle thing. Best time waster EVER.

Last edited by a moderator:

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
My mom's the only person I know that uses it.

She likes it for the currency watchers :p

Francisco
My Mom doesn't know much about computers. They have a laptop they keep on a desk. She knows she can move/touch the mouse and the black screen will load the desktop, and she can see the weather/temperature on the sidebar. I think she knows how to get Solitare to work, though she'd probably need reminded. Internet? Haha, no. She doesn't use it, understand it, nor care about it.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
 She doesn't use it, understand it, nor care about it.
Count my mother in on that too.

I find it interesting since I've spent so much wasted time in front of computers and hard to detox/envision a computer lite and internet low use state.   It does have it's appeal though lately.

johnlth93

I use Windows 7 but i don't have sidebar enabled, i've removed it from "Windows Features"

Just doesn't seem to be useful for me, though it seem cool when it was released along with Windows Vista. I often use the Memory/CPU widget and clock/calender widget that came with it.

But i don't use it anymore when Windows 7 is here.

Shados

Professional Snake Miner
Well I can think of a few major things that's keeping Windows dominant. 

Many enterprise-level software requires Windows.  I mean yeah there are alternatives to Microsoft Office Powerpoint (like LibreOffice Presenter or whatever it's called) but Microsoft Office Powerpoint just makes making powerpoints so convenient, also because most/all company systems are already on Linux it has a higher barrier of switch to Linux (especially when other people are already used to Windows).

Going another level deep, for Civil Engineers (such as myself) AutoCAD, MOUSE, Mike URBAN, HEC-RAS/HEC-HMS, etc. tools all require Windows to run (and Wine doesn't cut it most of the time).  There's no good alternative out for Linux which sucks.  This is actually probably why I'm still using Windows, because of these software limitations.  I mean for the general users and people focused in IT it does everything you need, but specialized individuals don't have the convenience of a product in linux.  

Also, videogames.  Just putting it here.  videogames.  

Security may be an issue, but when you have no better alternative you have to tread lightly to make sure it all works and gets you from point A to B no matter how battered up you get (because there's no alternative path).  

This sucks. 
Yeah. Same thing goes for professionals in other fields who use any sort of non-trivial design software, really (know a few people in sound production, music, etc. who are hampered by the same kind of restrictions). Gaming is honestly much less of a problem these days - wine does pretty well, and more than a third of the 250-some games I own on Steam have native Linux support. Plus, reading between the lines of statements made by Valve & gaben, it looks like they might be planning on putting some devs to work on Wine's game compatibility and integrating it into Steam for LInux.

amuck-landowner