amuck-landowner

Your motd screens

wdq

Quade
I have my MOTD show the provider, location, data center, system specifications, and price. I find SSHing into a VPS much easier than logging into a control panel and trying to find all of that information when I need to find it. 

notFound

Don't take me seriously!
Verified Provider
I hate OTT MOTD's, personally I only have the last login, I can use commands to find other things. I used to be lazy but it just got to be a bother.

Magiobiwan

Insert Witty Statement Here
Verified Provider
I never bothered modifying mine. It doesn't really make much of a difference for me.

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
My MOTD is just the default one for whatever distribution is on the server...

shawn_ky

My MOTD is just the default one for whatever distribution is on the server...
Same as mine.... but WDQ has a pretty good idea... 

I have my MOTD show the provider, location, data center, system specifications, and price. I find SSHing into a VPS much easier than logging into a control panel and trying to find all of that information when I need to find it. 
I like this one... Might be something to implement. Sure would be nice knowing which provider I am at.

VPSCorey

Verified Provider
A little loud for my taste I just prefer the standard "GET OFF MY LAWN" style MOTD's.

However keep in mind if your MOTD's first word is "Welcome" good luck taking anyone who got caught hacking your server to court.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
Can you provide that code that you used to get this going? I would like to do something similar.
Yup. Three components:

• update-motd

apt-get install update-motd

You can modify every part of the motd by editing the files in /etc/update-motd.d
  • toilet

apt-get install toilet

Code:
    toilet -f pagga system
    It is a small tool for ascii art.

Following fonts are currently supported: http://caca.zoy.org/browser/toilet/trunk/fonts
  • weather

apt-get install weather

It will display the current weather informations on a defined weather station.

weather -i ESSB

You can go to the webpage of NOAA to find your weather station of choice: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/tg/siteloc.shtml

For the current system status I am using landscape-sysinfo from the package landscape-common:

#!/bin/sh
cores=$(grep -c ^processor /proc/cpuinfo 2>/dev/null)
[ "$cores" -eq "0" ] && cores=1
threshold="${cores:-1}.0"
if [ $(echo "`cut -f1 -d ' ' /proc/loadavg` < $threshold" | bc) -eq 1 ]; then
echo
echo -n " System information as of "
/bin/date
echo
/usr/bin/landscape-sysinfo
else
echo
echo " System information disabled due to load higher than $threshold"
fi