amuck-landowner

Zeneva - Bad experience? I want to hear about it.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Looking to hear from folks who have given Zeneva (http://www.zeneva.net/) a try.   

Especially looking to hear from those who have had issues with server delivery, delays, moving of data centers and any other "issues".

You can send me a private message if you would prefer that the information not be public.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Oh Zeneva, the stories I heard while in Vegas from multiple sources.

So, the story with Zeneva is that they ran up this really large bandwidth bill to the tune of $10,000+.

Now, They rent dedicated servers with a full 100mbit unmetered port and other things like that, yet don't

keep an eye on usage, or buy enough bandwidth to cover their asses. On top of that, supposedly they owe

quite a bit to the same company that volumedrive is going to court with.

Needless to say, they have multiple good companies tied in this mess as they were going to be

signing up with him, found out about the dispute with SUPERNAP, and now they can't get their equipment out.

One such company has a few thousand dollars of equipment tied up that Switch refuses to release (since they

made need to liquidate it to cover the overdue bills).

There's at least 1 onsite worker that got completely stiffed as well, with either equipment also locked up

and or hours not paid for.

Oh the stories...the stories.

Francisco

qps

Verified Provider
One such company has a few thousand dollars of equipment tied up that Switch refuses to release (since they

made need to liquidate it to cover the overdue bills).
Switch isn't likely to liquidate someone other then Zeneva's equipment if it has been established that it belongs to a third party.  What they can do is make it very difficult for the third party to get their equipment back.

dano

I had all of the above happen with Zeneva/Tim, and the only reason I could get my equipment back, was because I knew the staff at the dc from other data centers in the Vegas area(small world, don't burn all your bridges).

My story: Zeneva had an offer on WebHostingTalk at the start of 2013 that was for $200/month for a 1/4 cabinet at Cobalt Data Center in Las Vegas. I made contact with Tim, and he seemed like a "cool" guy, but was kinda scaring me with his terms for some stuff(pretty sure he said "Jupiter router" a few times, later said Juniper), and gave me a test IP to try out. The routing to this IP address was pretty good, as it took better paths to Vegas from my location and a few others I tested. At this point, I am thinking, "I either found the right person to work with early in my venture, or I am about to get scammed out of all my money/equipment and ruin my biz plan"...I wanted to give him a chance, as he does seem like an honest guy, and has that cool thing going on that I mentioned earlier. I get coordinated and travel out to Vegas to install my equipment, but decided to just take a few items, cause my intuition was telling me that I need to make sure this person is "real". The DC staff was very reluctant to let me in to get installed - by now, I am happy I didn't bring more equipment. I was patched into the "Zeneva" switch for connectivity, but the IP range I was assigned didn't work as it wasn't assigned to him..so Zeneva gives me another IP range to use to make sure it works and starts my "billing day or move-in start" date. This process took the entire weekend, as I was waiting to get IP's, but the data center wasn't open for regular business on the weekend and I wasn't a "customer", Zeneva or Tim is, and I need permission to get in...annoying.

Now that the minimal equipment I have is connected with a single IP and not the /27 I was suppose to be given, I am almost thinking things maybe starting to work out..growing pains maybe? Zeneva/Tim told me we were going to be on multi-homed network though, but we were still on Time Warner, but he kept saying how Zayo/Above would be connected soon. I could live with a single connection for awhile, and was going to give it a quarter, and if I saw no changes, I would pull out. Next week after this, I try and ssh to my systems with Zeneva, and got no reply/connections from my assigned IP. I contact Zeneva/Tim, and asked -- he said that my network was "causing problems with their network and I was disconnected" - I have one switch, one machine, and nothing but idle/default installs with absolutely no traffic destined to these interfaces. I let him know that it would be nice if I could be on a vlan on their switch also, as I was seeing lots of broadcast traffic. He said he will contact his network person to find out and get me connected -- I asked for proof of what was happening, but was never given a real reason to just disconnect me. I am reconnected a few hours later and start wondering if I can stay with Zeneva...being disconnected without warning or contact felt very unprofessional.

About a week or two later, I am disconnected again -- contact Zeneva and he tells me that there are issues with the data center and is working on getting his upstream lines switched to ViaWest's new data center in Vegas, and talked up the facility. He tells me I should go down there and see if I can get my equipment out to move it to the ViaWest dc, as he is not on good terms at the data center and isn't sure he can get it, but will try to. This is where I went ahead and dropped off the Zeneva wagon and pulled my equipment out of Cobalt Data Center, and decided to let Tim know that I am not going forward with this venture, as ViaWest is not going to just let me "get my servers, if Tim or Zeneva stop paying their bills", and that fact was made evident with Cobalt, who allowed me to get my equipment, when they really didn't have to. Somewhere in here, he tells me to work with his "partners" company, as they have a presence in side Cobalt also - partner = network admin I am thinking.

Now that I had my equipment back, I decided to let Tim know that I am not going forward with this deal, as I signed up for multi-homed providers and only have a single upstream, wasn't given my proper IP block, only given one, and was not happy about being disconnected without contact. He addressed the upstream and said that Zayo/above was about to be plugged in, and then gave me a /26 IP block to use. I again let Tim know that I do not want to keep going, as I am not sure that I would be able to get my equipment back from Viawest, in the case that something happens, and would rather deal with a provider directly from now on, and will not be going forward with Zeneva for colocation. I let him know that with the pro-rated cost of $250, and only have 2-3 weeks of service, I should be entitled to some refund? He again asks me to call him, which I don't bother with, as he is just trying to rope me back in, and I just want out at this point.

I consider my loss minimal, but I am not happy I paid for a month and a week of colo service and only received 2-3 weeks of service that was nothing as advertised. Zeneva or Tim is a classic bait-n-switch operation, but I am happy I saw through the smoke and mirrors. I gave this provider 2 months to get me squared up, and was never provided with what they advertised -- I was pretty shocked when Tim asked me to pay my next bill...after I removed my servers and was not planning to move to Viawest(before they had to move to Switch Supernap). I let him know that I never even got my $250 of colo service from him and was owed about 15 days of service. There was never a response to my refund request.

Plain and simple: Stay away from this dishonest provider

GVH-Jon

Banned
This is why Zeneva should have jumped on the ColoCrossing wagon a long time ago. Even we wouldn't want him.

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Fixed for ya'.
Re-do :)

We?  Who is we?  I thought GVH was just a customer of CC via HVH?

I mean CC doesn't seem to care about providing services to spam cartels, organized criminal gangs and those on the NO TRADING WITH ENEMY embargo list.   What is selling to a "provider" who appears to sell imaginary resources (unlimited/unmetered servers) in comparison.... Oh wait, don't answer that,  you fancy yourself on the same massive oversell.

Note to GVH, look at Zeneva's financial "issues" due to low prices and massive BW allocations which incur massive bills collectively.

javaj

My experience is nothing like dano's but I did sign up for there $49 L5520 24gb when they were listed on LEB. His 2 to 3 business day setup turned into about a month, I asked for a refund twice, was told they don't refund once they receive payment so instead of arguing again I just waited.

When I did receive it everything seemed good and I chalked up the experience to just things happens, maybe a lot of orders etc., and I was willing to forgive it. So after being there a few weeks I saw they had a L5520 or L5639 (can't remember which) with 72gb ram for $89 bucks, so I contacted Tim asking how long it would take to set one of those up, he said a few days which I thought was acceptable and then not 5 minutes later, when I go to place my order the server is now $149 bucks. Leaving me a bit pissed off and thinking that was pretty shady I just cancelled on the spot, thought screw this I'm just outta here.

Anyway glad dano was able to get his equipment back, and in hindsight I'm now glad he raised the price at the last minute. And from the sounds of it now I'm really glad I got out when I did...

GVH-Jon

Banned
Re-do :)

We? Who is we? I thought GVH was just a customer of CC via HVH?

I mean CC doesn't seem to care about providing services to spam cartels, organized criminal gangs and those on the NO TRADING WITH ENEMY embargo list. What is selling to a "provider" who appears to sell imaginary resources (unlimited/unmetered servers) in comparison.... Oh wait, don't answer that, you fancy yourself on the same massive oversell.

Note to GVH, look at Zeneva's financial "issues" due to low prices and massive BW allocations which incur massive bills collectively.
A lot of CC based providers go thru either us or HVH and thus we together have a large chunk of the wagon so to speak. I wouldn't accept him as a client and I very much doubt that HVH would either.

And also, if you make it obvious to CC thag you're doing something illegal they'll hammer down on you hard, legit. We peaked in abuse complaints for a week and CC made us do lengthy investigations of tracking down the abusers and made us provide them with evidence that we did it

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
I wouldn't accept him as a client and I very much doubt that HVH would either.
HVH accepts some of the worst spammers around .  When my servers get hit with shit from a CC range (both spam and botnet attackers) more times than not lately it's come from an IP assigned to Ernie the Landscaper's HVH.

Hxxx

A lot of CC based providers go thru either us or HVH and thus we together have a large chunk of the wagon so to speak. I wouldn't accept him as a client and I very much doubt that HVH would either.

And also, if you make it obvious to CC thag you're doing something illegal they'll hammer down on you hard, legit. We peaked in abuse complaints for a week and CC made us do lengthy investigations of tracking down the abusers and made us provide them with evidence that we did it
@GVH-Jon I find hard to believe that being one of the two that bring the sales into CC, they don't own part of your company or somehow give you some help with the bills. I'm pretty sure that receiving special pricing and care somehow is the same as if they were financing you. Therefor they somehow own part of your company.

Now, I'm not saying that this is something bad. I have a lot of respect for you because I think that standing decently and replying with respect to people that want to bring down your business (some of them scrubs) , is not something easy. Therefor you have my respects. As for the ColoCrossing stuff, well If I were you and if they somehow own part of the company, I would openly accept it with all the glory, after all the only thing that matters is that your service maintain the same good quality.  Nobody cares about your investor or partners, who the fuck cares?

Keep up the good work.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider

"I need a /18 for 100% legit reasons and I need it all attached to 3 E3's. It's for VPS servers man, I promise.".

CC is OK with spam because it lets them populate their RDNS tables with domains, or rather, someone else went to the trouble of doing it. A scan of their ranges shows that the RDNS entries still exist.

At one point CC had 40k or so IP's listed for spam and they get new listings all the time. In fact, spamhaus now refers to them as "Colocrossing spam netblock" in listings.

Francisco

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
HVH accepts some of the worst spammers around .  When my servers get hit with shit from a CC range (both spam and botnet attackers) more times than not lately it's come from an IP assigned to Ernie the Landscaper's HVH.
Ernie is a paramedic at last check.

amuck-landowner