amuck-landowner

Down to 4 VPS

HostUS-Alexander

Verified Provider
I have 6 VPS'es in use, (4 DNS, 1 monitor, 1 VPS CP) then the rest are just sitting there. I moved all ym VPS'es into 1 cheap Dedi.

SeriesN

Verified Provider
Oh boy, here we go:

1x Crissic Solutions 512MB KVM

1x Tortoise Labs 512MB XEN - Dallas

1x Anynode 512MB (free two-month trial)

2x BuyVM (128MB OVZ - Buffalo, 256MB OVZ - Las Vegas)

1x NinjaHawk custom NYC

4x RamNode (2x 128MB SVZ-  Seattle and Atlanta, 1x 256MB CVZ - Atlanta, 1x 512MB CVZ (2IPv4) - Seattle)

1x LowEndSpirit - UK

2x Versatile IT (1x 128MB yearly - Dallas, 1x 1GB - Phoenix)

1x 512MB DigitalOcean droplet - NYC

2x SecureDragon (1x 64MB OVZ FL (2IPv4), 1x 96MB OVZ FL)

1x ServerHub 2GB OVZ Phoenix, 5IPv4

1x SwiftVM 256MB OVZ - San Diego

1x Reliable Hosting Services 512MB OVZ

1x IPXCore "Iron" KVM, 192MB - Buffalo

1x BudgetVM 1GB OVZ - Chicago

2x FrontRangeHosting (1x 256MB KVM, 1x 128MB OVZ (2IPv4))

1x Iniz 64MB yearly OVZ - L.A.

1x ComfortHost 512MB OVZ - L.A.

Totals: 25 VPS, 1 XEN, 4 KVM, 20 OVZ, 18 Providers
MY FIRST VPB Mention! YAY! I am no longer forever alone! 

And DAMN! All those vp's.

Last edited by a moderator:

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
Oh boy, here we go:

1x Crissic Solutions 512MB KVM

1x Tortoise Labs 512MB XEN - Dallas

1x Anynode 512MB (free two-month trial)

2x BuyVM (128MB OVZ - Buffalo, 256MB OVZ - Las Vegas)

1x NinjaHawk custom NYC

4x RamNode (2x 128MB SVZ-  Seattle and Atlanta, 1x 256MB CVZ - Atlanta, 1x 512MB CVZ (2IPv4) - Seattle)

1x LowEndSpirit - UK

2x Versatile IT (1x 128MB yearly - Dallas, 1x 1GB - Phoenix)

1x 512MB DigitalOcean droplet - NYC

2x SecureDragon (1x 64MB OVZ FL (2IPv4), 1x 96MB OVZ FL)

1x ServerHub 2GB OVZ Phoenix, 5IPv4

1x SwiftVM 256MB OVZ - San Diego

1x Reliable Hosting Services 512MB OVZ

1x IPXCore "Iron" KVM, 192MB - Buffalo

1x BudgetVM 1GB OVZ - Chicago

2x FrontRangeHosting (1x 256MB KVM, 1x 128MB OVZ (2IPv4))

1x Iniz 64MB yearly OVZ - L.A.

1x ComfortHost 512MB OVZ - L.A.

Totals: 25 VPS, 1 XEN, 4 KVM, 20 OVZ, 18 Providers

What do you do with all these VPS?

Awmusic12635

Verified Provider
Well Most of mine are Fliphost ofc

15 - Fliphost (I should really delete some of them)

3 - Hostigation ( 2 x 512MB , 1 x 1GB)

concerto49

Verified Provider
Well Most of mine are Fliphost ofc

15 - Fliphost (I should really delete some of them)

3 - Hostigation ( 2 x 512MB , 1 x 1GB)
I've got like 200 test instances for various things @ Cloud Shards.

1 - DigitalOcean

1 - Amazon Free

mpkossen

I know, I know, I should get a backup VPS, but I've got enough to pay for as is. I'm planning on letting some of these expire soon, then maybe I'll pick up a Backupsy. Just sayin', if you get IPv6, I'll be more "motivated".
Or use a HE tunnel. They've got a PoP in Dallas. Overhead is minimal, like 1ms for me. I've got a guide up at LEB which even lets you cope-and-paste most of it :p

Ivan

Verified Provider
The owner of Freevps.us has a heck lot if I'm not mistaken :D I've seen people will insane amounts of VPSs over at the thread at LET.

Though I really do wonder what does with all those VPSs  :lol:

wlanboy

Content Contributer
Labels:

• + rocket solid
  • # hosts important stuff
  • * playground

1x ServerDragon OpenVZ + #
1x ServerDragon OpenVZ + #
1x BuyVM OpenVZ + #
1x RamNode OpenVZ + #
1x VPSCheap OpenVZ + #
1x DotVPS OpenVZ *

1x Torqhost KVM + #
1x BlueVM KVM + *

All other vps are canceled.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
What do you do with all these VPS?
1x Crissic Solutions 512MB KVM - Too cheap to resist with KVM and /64 IPv6. I'm sure I'll find a use for it soon, I did just get it

1x Tortoise Labs 512MB XEN - Dallas - Dat control panel!

1x Anynode 512MB (free two-month trial) - Can't beat free! I'll review it when done

2x BuyVM (128MB OVZ - Buffalo, 256MB OVZ - Las Vegas) - Got these because they didn't use SolusVM

1x NinjaHawk custom NYC - To be used for DNS soon

4x RamNode (2x 128MB SVZ - Seattle and Atlanta, 1x 256MB CVZ - Atlanta, 1x 512MB CVZ (2IPv4) - Seattle) - The 2 128MBs are for DNS (though Atlanta is offline pending some maintenance after the hack), the other two aren't in use, but I'll find something soonTM

1x LowEndSpirit - UK - C'mon - $4/year? Why not? I might use it for a VPN.

2x Versatile IT (1x 128MB yearly - Dallas, 1x 1GB - Phoenix) 128MB is for DNS, 1GB is for review

1x 512MB DigitalOcean droplet - NYC - Messing around with /48 IPv6 from HE.net tunnel

2x SecureDragon (1x 64MB OVZ FL (2IPv4), 1x 96MB OVZ FL) 96MB is for DNS, 64MB is not in use, just got 'cause cheap and had double IP deal

1x ServerHub 2GB OVZ Phoenix, 5IPv4 - For all my paid development work

1x SwiftVM 256MB OVZ - San Diego - Educational sites, including CheapHTTPS.info and KnowYourInter.net

1x Reliable Hosting Services 512MB OVZ - Development on server/domain manager

1x IPXCore "Iron" KVM, 192MB - Buffalo - Just cancelled!

1x BudgetVM 1GB OVZ - Chicago - Production sites - DStrout.net, SpamLot.net, SHA1.in

2x FrontRangeHosting (1x 256MB KVM, 1x 128MB OVZ (2IPv4)) - I was using the 128MB OVZ for testing on my DNS import system for the domain/server manager (above). The KVM was just wicked cheap; I couldn't resist. These are both on the "to cancel" list, though I really like FRH. I might switch one of the other VPS's stuff to one of these, just to keep service with a good company.

1x Iniz 64MB yearly OVZ - L.A. - DNS

1x ComfortHost 512MB OVZ - L.A. - Development on a web project manager

Yes, I definitely need to work on pruning this list, but over half are in use, several more pending imminent use, and a couple more I really want to use, and I'm sure I'll find a use for them.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
Quite a lot of huge vps that are doing nothing.

Yes, I definitely need to work on pruning this list, but over half are in use, several more pending imminent use, and a couple more I really want to use, and I'm sure I'll find a use for them.
I had the same feeling about my vps list last year. So I cleaned it up.

Main reasons and insights:

• I stopped using DNS as an excuse to buy a vps. I switched to he.net and everthing was fine. Even their dyndns API was better than mine.
  • I stopped using ping times as an excuse to buy a vps. No need to buy a new vps to save 10ms. It is nice to be closer to visitors, but that means at least another country/coast.
  • I stopped using new locations as an excuse to buy a vps. It is not sane to have three vps in Buffalo from three different providers just because the vps are cheap. I stick to one provider if the offers are in the same datacenter. I choose the one with the best support and the best way of running his business.
  • I stopped using sales as an excuse to buy a vps. I don't care about sales any longer. I do have a list of "nice to have hosts". If they have a sale on the right location with the right product I buy. I just have to need that product.
  • I stopped using new services as an excuse to buy a vps. Sometimes I bought a vps just for the sake to "not mess up my running system" with a new service I am not familiar with. Outcome: A lot of idle vps. I moved quite a lot of services to a single host. I don't need a new vps for some static sites or my first node.js based site. Because I do have one playground.
  • I stopped using "test machine" as an excuse to buy a vps. I do only need one playground - a KVM. I am reinstalling it every 10 days. [quite a fun for the provider because of the disabled SolusVM] Switching OS and playing around with new Ruby/Node.js versions, importing db dumps and trying migrations all the time.
    Real tests like:
    Switching from sendmail to postfix, or switching from ngix to lighttpd, or migrating a schema from MySQL to MongoDB.
And of course:

• Keep the number of accounts/logins low.
  • Keep the number of providers low.

peterw

I am down to four servers from three different providers. Feels right to get rid of servers I don't use because they are too small.

willie

My # of vps is still around 15 but almost all of them are low end annual plans in the $15/year range or lower.  4 of them are Low End Spirit at about $4/year each (one at each LES location).  Total vps expenditure (amortized) is around $12/month which doesn't seem too bad, and imho matters more than the "body count".

Aside from storage, I just don't see much use for larger vps's (512MB or whatever) at least in my own usage pattern.  Most things I'd want to do with VPS (source control, vpn, small databases and web servers) actually are fine with Low End Spirit, though a few things (DNS) want dedicated ipv4 addresses.  Everything else is better off on a local workstation (development/compiling) or else on a dedi (unlimited cpu without other users slowing you down, and these days 32gb of dedicated ram even on a $50/month OVH server, though mine is older and has just 16GB).  With a dedi I think nothing of kicking off a task that's going to run at 100% cpu for multiple days on multiple cores.  With vps I always worry about running anything cpu-intensive for more than a few minutes.

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
I've simplified as well.  In the past, I had a grand virtual empire.

These days:

- Dreamhost for 95% of my endeavors and an endless sea of family members' blogs/photo sites/junk.  It's just easier to let someone else handle shared hosting.

- BuyVM OvZ for "I want to do something custom at the web level"

- BuyVM storage for "I want to back things up".

- Kimsufi atom dedi for "I want a no-hassle seedbox"

- Azure Linux box for "I get it free from MSDN and don't use any Microsoft technologies on it" :)

- burning off a referral credit at 6sync to run a TOR relay

There are other providers that I like (see the site in my sig) but I just don't have the need at the moment.

Another excuse I gave up (like wlanboy's list) was "I need to test something that really could be tested just fine running Virtualbox on my desktop for free".

joepie91

Oh dear.. time for a list, I guess. Some of these are paid, some of these are freebies / donations / borrowed. Also, aside from what is mentioned, most of these also run Tahoe-LAFS, and a slave daemon for my monitoring system. Most of them also run archiving scripts from time to time.

I'll start out with the good hosts...

RAM Host

Los Angeles (KVM), 768MB RAM, 20GB disk. Used as an OpenVZ testing node for CVM development.

Kansas (OpenVZ), 512MB RAM, 768MB burst, 20GB disk. Runs a few websites, like learn.cryto.net and todo.cryto.net.

Kansas (OpenVZ), 256MB RAM/burst, 160GB disk. Mostly backup and storage.

Atlanta (OpenVZ), 768MB RAM, 1024MB burst, 45GB disk. Runs my Git server (and associated services), and a website.

Atlanta (OpenVZ), 768MB RAM, 1024MB burst, 60GB disk. Runs a pile of stuff; the main cryto.net website, used to run an IRC leaf, and I usually put stuff there when I offer to host something for somebody else.

Germany (OpenVZ), 384MB RAM, 512MB burst, 30GB disk. Runs redonate.net and some other assorted stuff.

RamNode

Atlanta (OpenVZ, SSD-cached), 128MB RAM, 128MB vSwap, 20GB disk. Runs 8 (!) phenny bots, a loggy bot, lighttpd, ZNC (with 5 active users or so), a saxo bot, an IRC leaf, and a qwebirc instance. Like other VPSes, it also runs Tahoe-LAFS. Don't ask me how it fits in the RAM, but somehow it does.

Netherlands (OpenVZ, SSD-cached), 256MB RAM, 256MB vSwap, 90GB disk. Hosts the master for my monitoring system, as well as the IRC bot for it, and also used for some file storage.

Seattle (KVM, SSD-cached), 512MB RAM, 512MB vSwap, 50GB disk. Has the DDoS mitigation add-on. Will eventually serve as a reverse proxy (over VPN) for DDoS mitigation.

OVH

Kimsufi 2G in Gravelines (the 5 euro a month one), 2GB RAM, 500GB disk. Primarily used for archiving and temporary data storage.

VPS on a server of a friend (Xen), 1GB RAM, 50GB disk. Runs AnonNews.org.

Inception Hosting

Netherlands (Xen?), no idea about the specs. Still have to recover access to this one, but the Tahoe-LAFS node is still running.

Netherlands (Xen?), not sure about this one either. Same story, still have to recover access. Hosts my AfterHoursDJs liveset archive.

ServerCrate

Dallas (OpenVZ), 512MB RAM, 512MB vSwap, 500GB disk, 10gbit. For storage and archiving.

Dallas (OpenVZ), 512MB RAM, 512MB vSwap, 500GB disk, 10gbit. Also for storage and archiving. This one was unexpectedly given to me by a friend.

Other good and decent hosts that I only have one VPS of

BlueVM (OpenVZ, Zurich, Switzerland), tiny (64-128MB?) RAM, a bit of disk space. Runs an IRC leaf. Had it for ages, started out in Illinois, then moved through Buffalo to Zurich.

VPS-Forge (OpenVZ, Germany), 512MB RAM, 512MB vSwap, 75GB disk. Hosts a bunch of sites, such as books.cryto.net, a mobile proxy, and some mirrors for stuff that is/was under pressure to be taken down elsewhere. Also runs a TOR relay and an IRC leaf; the favourite of most of the users on my IRC network, because of its stability :)

TortoiseLabs (Xen?, UK), 512MB RAM, 512MB swap, 30GB disk space. Runs as a fairly high-bandwidth TOR relay.

IPXCore (OpenVZ, Buffalo), 128MB RAM, 32MB vSwap, 5GB disk. Runs an IRC leaf, and a small TOR relay.

Backupsy (KVM, Netherlands), 384MB RAM, 1024MB swap, 250GB disk. File storage, backup, Tahoe-LAFS, etc.

Undisclosed host, 128MB RAM, 128MB vSwap, 5GB disk space. Runs my IRC hub (UnrealIRCd) and (Atheme) services.

ErrantWeb (OpenVZ, Detroit), 512MB RAM, 256MB vSwap, 25GB disk. Currently only runs a Tahoe-LAFS introducer, will run more later.

Online.net (dedicated), 2GB RAM, 6GB swap (don't ask...), 500GB disk. Does archiving and storage things.

SrsVPS (OpenVZ, Romania), not sure about specs again. Haven't regained access yet. Hosts joepie91.archivingyoursh.it and a bunch of other miscellaneous things.

StyleX Networks (Xen?, Los Angeles), 256MB RAM, 1024MB swap, 10GB disk. Tahoe-LAFS node and misc. Paid 1 euro or dollar for this one-time, has been free since. They stuck to their promise :)

Shitty hosts

URPad (OpenVZ, Los Angeles), 1024MB RAM, no swap, 40GB disk. Supposedly DDoS-mitigated. Purely as a disposable cheap Tahoe-LAFS storage node. Really quite rubbish, lots of lag (both network- and disk-wise), frequent packet loss and short outages. Longer (multi-minute) outages about once a week.

URPad (OpenVZ, Florida), 1024MB RAM, no swap, 40GB disk. All as above, just a different location.

DigitalOcean (KVM, Amsterdam), 512MB RAM, 30GB disk. Frequent packet loss and outages. Temporary Tahoe-LAFS storage node.

DigitalOcean (KVM, San Francisco), 512MB RAM, 30GB disk. Same as above.

DigitalOcean (KVM, New York), 512MB RAM, 30GB disk. Same as above.

Might've forgotten one or two, but this should be most of it :)

(I like multi-level redundancy, can you tell? :D)

amuck-landowner