amuck-landowner

Zimmerman found not guilty.... Your thoughts?

jarland

The ocean is digital
Not my job to have an opinion. Not sure where everyone (not necessarily here) gets off thinking they know everything about everything. This is for people who were there to know what happened, and for a judge and jury to determine the validity of the charges filed against him. Justice is not based on passionate race bating news stories and twitter polls.

If he's not guilty of the charges, they did well. If he is, prosecution or judge or jury messed up. But then that's the job of the state of Florida, not random citizen from far away who didn't witness anything but the irresponsible news stories on both sides of the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
People revel in thinking they should voice their opinions on everything when they're ill-informed and rely on inflammatory online posts and newspapers that tend to cherry pick which facts to present in order to 'spice' things up.

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
For those of you familiar with the case, what are your opinions?

While I think Zimmerman should not have followed or confronted the teen, he was within his legal right to defend himself the way he did and I'm glad to see him walk away from it not guilty. He'll have to live the rest of his life knowing he took the life of another man, which for most would be 'punishment' enough. He acted within the law, and I'm glad to see he wasn't sentenced due to some fear of riots as the main stream media has reported.

This case is the reason why I say our country has the best Justice system in the world. Sure this case was an example of something that shouldn't have made it this far anyways. Because George Zimmerman was forced to defend himself protecting his community against a someone which was up to no good. In the end the Jury sided with George Zimmerman and did not convict someone who did nothing wrong which is the right thing to do. 

What are they protesting? The police? Zimmerman walking free? I don't know if they know what they're doing anymore.

Naruto

>8th Grader Trayvon Martin is walking home in his graduation cap and gown 
>Aryan Nation member George Zimmerman driving around in his Confederate Flag draped pickup 
>Zimmerman spots Trayvon through the night by the glow of his halo 
>The Klansman takes chase 
>The football star nearly outruns him, but he is trapped by a "do not enter" sign 
>Faced with certain death or disobeying the law, he makes his stand 
>Trayvon attempts to reason his attacker, but the illiterate racist will have none of it 
>Zimmerman steps out of his vehicle and asks "Any last words?" 
>Trayvon looks his executioner in the eye and replies "World Peace" 
>"WHITE POWER!" exclaims Zimmerman as he unloads with his fully-automatic assault rifle 
>If not for the Republican party he may have survived, but the skinhead's extended magazine, unfettered by their legislation unloads hundreds of rounds into the future Nobel Piece Prize recipient 
>Zimmerman then bashes his own head into the curb repeatedly screaming "help me!" 
>When he is finished, Hitler himself steps back into his gas-guzzling vehicle 
>As Trayvon lay dying, the last thing he sees is the "Bush Cheney 2004" bumper sticker disappear into the night

Jeffrey

I honestly think Zimmerman should have been guilty.  He has negative history before any of this happened.  He is just a wanna be cop.  He could have defended himself, during the incident without using a gun.  He caused Treyvon to hit him, he caused the scene.  I honestly think that if you kill a human, you should be thrown in jail, unless you are threatened, to where you think you will die.  

BlueVM

Verified Provider
Zimmerman was found not guilty because there was no evidence. There was no evidence and thus there could be no conviction. This should have never gone to court for that reason alone. Wait until you have evidence or simply put it's nothing but people arguing about race. If they could even remotely prove Zimmerman did something illegal I'd be perfectly happy with a guilty verdict, but you have to have evidence otherwise it's 100% an argument about race and that's not constitutional nor is it right.

If people can be convicted for things we think they did everyone would be in jail. Proof is everything.

The minute anyone has any proof that he intentionally went out that night with the idea in his head that he was going to kill someone that's when he would be guilty. Since no one has any proof he can not and should not go to prison for it.

If you feel he should we should probably lock you up for piracy as well since you've probably committed piracy.

Jeffrey

people arguing about race.

The race issue has gotten out of control.  I actually never viewed this trial as a racial issue until people have been acting this way on Twitter/Facebook.  It is not whites against blacks, Zimmerman is hispanic, not white.  Almost all of my Facebook friends are acting like he's white and it's getting annoying!  Who cares what race anybody is!  We are all equal!

texteditor

Premium Buffalo-based Hosting
The race issue has gotten out of control.  I actually never viewed this trial as a racial issue until people have been acting this way on Twitter/Facebook.  It is not whites against blacks, Zimmerman is hispanic, not white.  Almost all of my Facebook friends are acting like he's white and it's getting annoying!  Who cares what race anybody is!  We are all equal!

It's called "passing as white", which Zimmerman definitely does (especially compared to Trayvon), which is why all the hate groups so readily rallied behind him.

Also, you should look up the conviction rates for white people vs. black people when it comes to claiming self-defense (or any crime) - we are not all equal in the eyes of the law in America.

texteditor

Zimmerman was found not guilty because there was no evidence. There was no evidence and thus there could be no conviction. This should have never gone to court for that reason alone. Wait until you have evidence or simply put it's nothing but people arguing about race. If they could even remotely prove Zimmerman did something illegal I'd be perfectly happy with a guilty verdict, but you have to have evidence otherwise it's 100% an argument about race and that's not constitutional nor is it right.

If people can be convicted for things we think they did everyone would be in jail. Proof is everything.
Here's the thing: you really shouldn't be able to kill someone with a firearm and not get a default 'manslaughter' until you prove you were actually acting in self defense. All this has done is prove that as long as there are no witnesses, you can effectively kill anyone and call it self defense

Jeffrey

Man, what are they feeding these prisoners?!?!?  How in the world do you gain 100lbs while in prison?  When I think of prison, I think of working out, exercising, and shitty food.  Apparently this isn't the case based on Zimmerman's weight gain!

texteditor

Man, what are they feeding these prisoners?!?!?  How in the world do you gain 100lbs while in prison?  When I think of prison, I think of working out, exercising, and shitty food.  Apparently this isn't the case based on Zimmerman's weight gain!
He wasn't in prison, even after his first bail got revoked for perjury he was able to post the higher one.

edit: and thanks to all that sweet, sweet racist donation money in his fund, he probably ate pretty well

texteditor

The minute anyone has any proof that he intentionally went out that night with the idea in his head that he was going to kill someone that's when he would be guilty. Since no one has any proof he can not and should not go to prison for it.
That's only the requirements for First degree murder (and kinda second). Manslaughter is probably the perfect charge we have for a case like this, but he escaped that.

Manslaughter would have been the appropriate charge, rather than Murder II. Had the prosecution pushed for manslaughter rather than Murder II, they may well have gotten a conviction.
I agree, but in the wacky State of Florida the Court can find you guilty of a lesser charge (e.g., second can be dropped to manslaughter), so prosecutors are basically encouraged to swing for the fences so to speak with the charges, even if they have to settle at a lesser one.

Manslaughter was on the table as soon as the 2nd degree charge was filed.

It's really dumb, but then again so is everything in Florida

maounique

Indeed, if you kill anyone, you must prove you were in self-defense, but circumstantial evidence should also be OK.

For example, if it happened in your house, you have an already strong argument, if it happened at 2 AM and the victim was wearing a ski mask, then it is enough, even if he had no gun.

If he had a gun, it could be enough even if he didnt fire it. It depends on circumstances, if you have a 60+ person alone in home and a guy comes and gets shoot by the house owner/tenant which was being being a respected citizen without serious criminal record, even if the victim had no gun, wore no ski mask, the killer had no injuries, it is highly unlikely it was murder and the killer felt threatened because it was highly unliukely hes in any position to defend himself if the victim which was 16-30 could reach for him, unless they had some business before, are relatives or something, in which case more evidence for self defense should be brought before the jury.

It all depends on many clues and small evidence pieces, some circumstantial, to convince a jury. I was watching this and, while I was not convinced the man was not guilty, I was far from convinced he was guilty either, in this case, he walks. Simple.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
Here's the thing: you really shouldn't be able to kill someone with a firearm and not get a default 'manslaughter' until you prove you were actually acting in self defense. All this has done is prove that as long as there are no witnesses, you can effectively kill anyone and call it self defense
Read this. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57433184/fla-mom-gets-20-years-for-firing-warning-shots/

Not even killing the other person and still getting 20 years.

Strange world we live in or what?

texteditor

amuck-landowner