• Announcements

• MannDude

Current state of vpsBoard   02/04/2017

Dear vpsBoard members and guests:

Over the last year or two vpsBoard activity and traffic has dwindled. I have had a change of career and interests, and as such am no longer an active member of the web hosting industry.

Due to time constraints and new interests I no longer wish to continue to maintain vpsBoard. The web site will remain only as an archive to preserve and showcase some of the great material, guides, and industry news that has been generated by members, some of which I remain in contact to this very day and now regard as personal friends.

I want to thank all of our members who helped make vpsBoard the fastest growing industry forum. In it's prime it was an active and ripe source of activity, news, guides and just general off-topic banter and fun.

I wish all members and guests the very best, whether it be with your business or your personal projects.

-MannDude
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DomainBop

Supreme Court OKs Rule Change Allowing Gov't Hacking of Any Computer With VPN Software

2 posts in this topic

The U.S. Supreme Court quietly OK'd a rule change last Thursday that will allow the government to obtain a warrant and remotely hack into ANY computer or smartphone that has anonymity software installed on it (VPN, Tor browser, etc) and the devices of anyone who has tried to conceal their location for privacy reasons (e.g. if you turn off the location data for smartphone apps for privacy reasons your phone can be searched under these new rules) . Congress still has to approve it, but...  

(b) Venue for a Warrant Application. At the request of a federal law enforcement officer or an attorney for the government: * * * * * (6) a magistrate judge with authority in any district where activities related to a crime may have occurred has authority to issue a warrant to use remote access to search electronic storage media and to seize or copy electronically stored information located within or outside that district if: (A) the district where the media or information is located has been concealed through technological means;

the proposed rule change: http://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/courtorders/frcr16_8mad.pdf

EFF: "The first part of this change would grant authority to practically any judge to issue a search warrant to remotely access, seize, or copy data relevant to a crime when a computer was using privacy-protective tools to safeguard one's location. Many different commonly used tools might fall into this category. For example, people who use Tor, folks running a Tor node, or people using a VPN would certainly be implicated. It might also extend to people who deny access to location data for smartphone apps because they don’t feel like sharing their location with ad networks. It could even include individuals who change the country setting in an online service, like folks who change the country settings of their Twitter profile in order to read uncensored Tweets."

EFF article: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/04/rule-41-little-known-committee-proposes-grant-new-hacking-powers-government

2 people like this

Just an update to say EFF has set up a website with more info on the Rule 41 issue and there is a convenient little form on the site that will send your congressperson a message (hint): https://noglobalwarrants.org/

This is the letter that was sent to the house and senate majority and minority leaders today (a long list of Internet companies and civil liberties organizations co-signed the letter): https://noglobalwarrants.org/assets/Rule41CoalitionLetter.pdf

1 person likes this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By regis666
      I would like to know why the VPN is causing disconnection to my
      windows vps? I have used the vpn company's software and previously openvpn
      same results. I cant give you logs because I have to reboot vps when this happens
      because the vps stalls (freezes) when this issue happens - I can't do anything
      with the vps until reboot of vps.

Note: the VPS works fine if I don't connect VPN
      Thank you.
      specs of my windows 2008 server vps
          Full Administrator Access
          1 CPU Core (Intel Xeon)
          1 GB Dedicated Memory
          40 GB Disk Space
          1 TB Monthly Bandwidth
          1 GBit/s Internet Port
          1 IP (additional 10 IPs)
          Native IPv6
          Configurable RDNS
          Free DNS Cluster
          OpenVPN & PPP Ready
          Anytime Upgrades
          Variety Of Payments (see)
          DDoS Protection (480 Gbps)

• By RaidLogic.NET
      RaidLogic.NET by DTS-NET 
      Virtual Private Server line is the ideal solution for clients who require the control of a dedicated server matched with the affordability and simplicity of a traditional shared hosting account. Look over our plans, standard features, and customization options. You can order and customize your plan online and we'll get you set up right away. If you have any questions, please contact us by phone, e-mail or live chat.

URL: http://www.raidlogic.net
      Email: [email protected]
      Livechat: http://www.raidlogic.net/support/

=============================================================
      RaidLogic.NET VPS (Virtual Private Servers) Linux - Self Managed
      =============================================================

Your Virtual Private Server includes the following:

Redundant power backup.
      Automated generator system.
      Failed hardware replacement.
      99.9% uptime guarantee.
      No long term contract.
      Intel® or AMD® Processors.
      Full root access.
      Access to VPS control panel.
      Free reboot ticket submission.
      Free CISCO™ GUARD DDOS protection.
      24x7x365 technical support.
      24x7x365 network monitoring.
      Private MRTG links*
      1 IPv4 address and upgrade if you need more
      go to  http://www.raidlogic.net
      offering 50% off your first payment when using the coupon "raidlogicvpsboard". This can be applied to any payment term (monthly, annual, and 3 years)

bringing Professional, Affordable and Quality VPS solutions to users all around the globe. offer everything larger companies do & even more, but for only a fraction of the cost.

we bring you our limited time "FREE MIGRATION + SETUP + INSTALL" Virtual Private Server Packages starting @ ONLY $9.95

FREE Migration & Customizations/Installations included in all VPS, just contact us after signup
      (Ex: Migration from Plesk, cPanel and other platforms, Installation of Custom PHP5 modules, cloud, FFmpeg, red5, plex media server,ruby, java and more, just request it! )

Get Questions Answered! Call us. LiveChat with us 24/7/365

Price Match Guarantee

will price match the features and lowest current listed price of the following most popular hosting companies?

All we need is your First & Last Name Email Address Your Domain/Website Name of Host to Price Match URL of Hosting Plan to Price Match.

Send either here on live chat or click on contact us or open a support ticket.

Find a competitor with a similar level of service, network, and infrastructure with a lower price?

Contact our team today with a copy of the competitors quote and let our team match or beat their offered pricing!

Requirements for Price Match consideration:

- Provider must be a Legal company in business for 1+ Years

- Plans must include Unmetered data transfer

- The provider must offer 24x7 PHONE, Live Chat, Ticket Support Price Match Guarantee is limited to one price match per hosting plan, per client and does not apply to Promotional pricing valid for original term.
    • By drmike
      Bad guy goes using anonymous services to cause hell for ex and new fling.   Threats made.  FBI gets involved, all activity leads back to Private Internet Access, a VPN provider.
      PIA claims prior to not store information on customer activity.  FBI sends subpoena, PIA tells them uselessness since they don't have or store data on use.
      FBI goes away looking for evidence elsewhere.
      Chalk one up for a VPN company who claims privacy and now has proof legally of it, per se.
      source: https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-providers-no-logging-claims-tested-in-fbi-case-160312/
      PS:  PIA while good isn't perfect.  Throughput is subject to complaining if you are accustom to pushing fast data.  Public shared IPs, so bound to run into blocked services from others abusing things.  None of which is PIA specific, common across all VPN providers I've tried.
    • By drmike
      Excellent security dev here done by this gent to show weakness in Tor.
      Simply said, bits of data available even with Tor bundled browser originating from mouse and other hardware.  Enough to make you think plausible to use such to identify user as being the same user seen elsewhere. Over time, who knows more data and more screwed.
      Screams for more emphasis in general on dumping javascript and severely limiting viewing methods if you are sane and inclined to care about being profiled and silo'd.
      UberCookie
      During the last weeks I have been able to fingerprint tor browser users in controlled environments and I think it could be interesting to share all the findings for further discussion and to improve tor browser.
      All the provided fingerprinting methods are based on javascript (enabled by default in tor browser as of today). I have created a quick and dirty PoC called UberCookie available as a demo here:
      Try ubercookie : http://jcarlosnorte.com/assets/ubercookie/
      Source: http://jcarlosnorte.com/security/2016/03/06/advanced-tor-browser-fingerprinting.html