amuck-landowner

100TB a month challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virtovo

Verified Provider
If targeted at GVH I don't think this is a good idea.  Even if one VPS maxed out its bandwidth allocation it's likely to push GVH into overages.  Even if we look at a reasonable $4 Mbps it's going to very easy to slap $1000s worth of dollars of overages onto the company. 

This is severely going to diminish their ability to pay twelve techs and continue their plans for world domination.

I ask you all to think of the poor Buffalos.

Last edited by a moderator:

mtwiscool

If targeted at GVH I don't think this is a good idea.  Even if one VPS maxed out its bandwidth allocation it's likely to push GVH into overages.  Even if we look at a reasonable $4 Mbps it's going to very easy to slap $1000s worth of dollars of overages onto the company. 

This is severely going to diminish their ability to pay twelve techs and continue their plans for world domination.

I ask you all to think of the poor Buffalos.
$4 per Mbps what crack are you smocking.

alot of datacentres will do it for less then $1 per Mbps and some even below $0.50

NodePacket

Verified Provider
I'm waiting to hear about when he suspends the servers for the 'Violations'. I hope he has some money saved up to pay the BW overages.

Virtovo

Verified Provider
$4 per Mbps what crack are you smocking.

alot of datacentres will do it for less then $1 per Mbps and some even below $0.50
Crack?  You do understand overages are paid for outside of your initial commit.  You generally don't benefit from commit pricing with overages.  $4 is a very reasonable overage rate and was my best case.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Theoretical, haven't tried this myself to see if it'll even work.

Remotely mount the GVH VM's /dev/null to a couple of machines that can actually use their CPU/etc, and have bandwidth to spare.  'DD' out test files the size of your choice to the mounted path.. for example, creating a 100TB file should continuously push data to the GVH, which dumps the incoming right into /dev/null without using disk or really that much CPU, while eating away at the bandwidth.

mtwiscool

Crack?  You do understand overages are paid for outside of your initial commit.  You generally don't benefit from commit pricing with overages.  $4 is a very reasonable overage rate and was my best case.
why don't they just get an unmeated 1gbps like :)

datashack $300 (0.29296875 per Mbps) + $45 colo fee + ip address at $0.50 each

or if you want to go crazy Fdcservers 10Gbps $399 inc colo ip's are $1 each ($0.03896484375 per Mbps)

GVH-Jon

Banned
Define legitimate.  And how about some proof that you won't be capping transit?
Legitimate as in not downloading files back and forth from one server to another or running any useless scripts that only just consume bandwidth. And we don't cap transit. How about you provide us some proof that we do?

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Legitimate as in not downloading files back and forth from one server to another or running any useless scripts that only just consume bandwidth.

And how exactly do you plan on checking this, outside of snooping on your clients' data?

And we don't cap transit. How about you provide us some proof that we do?
According to your VPS Page: [bW]* @ 1Gbps

So, let's do some math.  100TB is 102400GB per month.  1Gbps is 128MB/s.  If we take a month with 31 days, that's 334,800GB per month (60s * 60m * 24h * 24d == 2678400 seconds * 128 == 342835200MB / 1024 == 334800GB).

So what you're telling us, is that you guarantee a client can burn 1/3 of the 128MB/s (a constant 42MB/s) all month?

Virtovo

Verified Provider
why don't they just get an unmeated 1gbps like :)

datashack $300 (0.29296875 per Mbps) + $45 colo fee + ip address at $0.50 each

or if you want to go crazy Fdcservers 10Gbps $399 inc colo ip's are $1 each ($0.03896484375 per Mbps)
Most likely because they are with Colocrossing/HVH in Buffalo, NY.

joepie91

Legitimate as in not downloading files back and forth from one server to another or running any useless scripts that only just consume bandwidth. And we don't cap transit. How about you provide us some proof that we do?
So you can't run anything that "just consumes bandwidth", but you can't use a lot of CPU either (which leads to only being able to use bandwidth)? I'm not sure how exactly anybody is supposed to "win" this challenge.

mtwiscool

So you can't run anything that "just consumes bandwidth", but you can't use a lot of CPU either (which leads to only being able to use bandwidth)? I'm not sure how exactly anybody is supposed to "win" this challenge.
website with loads of photos and meme then post to reddit.

Virtovo

Verified Provider
Well at least everyone now has Carte Blanche to try.  This is going to get ugly. 

William

pr0
Verified Provider
We'll give a free iPad mini to the first person who can legitimately use 100TB.I
Ok, i'm in. Currently doing around 700TB in NL and 100TB in Austria, i just migrate a reverse proxy to you.

Deal?

No matter how shitty that line is, i manage to push 100TB easily, and trust me - I will take you on it and pay not a single cent. And sue you if you don't give me the iPad then with some vague reason, that also.

Mun

Never Forget
If they accept bitcoin, local caching TPB proxy <.<

Mun

NM.... "pirated software"

Virtovo

Verified Provider
We'll give a free iPad mini to the first person who can legitimately use 100TB.
Possible to limit it to those who have already posted in this thread?  That way someone who then manages to use it won't get a "Sorry, someone has already claimed it"

Mun

Never Forget
Ok, i'm in. Currently doing around 700TB in NL and 100TB in Austria, i just migrate a reverse proxy to you.

Deal?

No matter how shitty that line is, i manage to push 100TB easily, and trust me - I will take you on it and pay not a single cent. And sue you if you don't give me the iPad then with some vague reason, that also.

.. what are you plannning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
amuck-landowner