amuck-landowner

100TB a month challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
So are the 100TB offers still continuing  to be offered or did CC/HVH put a stop to this insane raping of their pocketbook yet?

GVH-Jon

Banned
drmike -- I explained this in depth to you via PM.

also yes the iPad is new. We'll order it straight from Best Buy and have it shipped.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
drmike -- I explained this in depth to you via PM.

also yes the iPad is new. We'll order it straight from Best Buy and have it shipped.
Is it fine if I post extracts of that PM Jon?  I don't want to go Skylar on you with this out of the blue.   Other folks are interested and I think you mean well and have a fight + hammering some things out with upstream and customers.

GVH-Jon

Banned
No, it's fine. I will post a summary of the conversation we had here.

Basically, what is happening right now is that a lot of our advisers and also our upstream is expressing a major concern for us regarding our LET plans and I have been approached several times by many key people with requests to immediately pull stock on all the 100TB plans. Now I know you guys may be skeptical and think, "Why would ColoCrossing or HVH care about what GVH does if it's going to earn them cash?". The answer to this is simple. Despite what everything is doing to try and depict them as devil childs/conspirators, they are people too; and good people to say the least. I genuinely, genuinely believe that. You guys don't know how much I try to defend our upstream and such on a daily basis, however I'm strictly prohibited from doing so. But since this isn't anything really sensitive to business, I just want to put it out there that the people that work at ColoCrossing and the people that work at Hudson Valley Host are really kind, passionate, and caring and I've formed strong friendships with many of them. And much like in any strong friendship, during cases like this, your own personal money gain in the situation doesn't become a facor -- your concern for whom you consider a friend is.

Now putting all of that to the side, I just want to say to everyone here that we don't have any bad intentions with our 100TB bandwidth plans. We really don't, I swear it. We want to provide a good service and we try very hard to do so. Part of what Curtis (MannDude) said is correct, we are using the 100TB as a marketing ploy and we aren't really looking to make much of a profit out of it. It got people talking about us, and it very much worked. There's all of these threads about us now, and I'm finding myself constantly being pushed to handle public relations which is essentially a good sign and I don't really mind. We legitimately would allow a customer to use 100TB if they were using it for a legitimate purpose, such as a retail VPN service, proxy service, etc. However though, these threats to utilize our virtual servers for the sole purpose of uselessly burning bandwidth with tasks such as downloading files back and forth between virtual servers, we can't allow that and we're going to be putting new policies in place in our Terms of Service to prohibit such actions. We want our vrtual servers to be utilized for legitimate uses only and we are not looking to screw anyone or BS anyone in any way.

.. I don't really know what else to say. We don't have any bad intentions. We want to provide a good service and we try very hard to do so and I don't see why we have to be attacked for it.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
To put it bluntly... it's your attitude.  Case in point:

success.png

Is Fabozzi really that much of a role model to you?  And sure, it's great that you want to be friendly with your upstream.  But you should not let that blind you others' experiences.  Call a spade a spade - no matter how nice Biloh is to you directly, the plain fact is that he has no qualms with screwing other people over (such as the "leased" hardware stolen from us).  Reputations are rarely earned out of hearsay - for every generally vague "they are dishonest" thread about CC, you can find an individual that can tell you a direct example of how they were poorly treated.

As to why you're being attacked?  It has very little to do with your CC affiliations.  Your blatant lack of humility, and downright lies when attempting to brag about your company are what bring those reactions.  And to clarify - yes, you are a liar.  You've shown sufficient savvy that surely you couldn't actually think a few weeks worth of improved sales justify a major growth trend.  The logical conclusion is that you attempted to brag, got caught with your pants down about it, and have been directly evading since.  You never did answer my questions in the other thread that would prove otherwise.

But let's suppose, just for the sake of arguement, that you truly are stupid enough to think that a few weeks worth of decent sales is enough to warrant rapid expansion.  If you were that stupid, you'd have no hesitation about posting more figures, something that you continue to evade.  Not to mention the logistics - there is simply no way you could've gone from a pitiful 5k/mo income (before expenses) to "one of the largest/best" within a month.  Not on your own.

And that's where CC ties in - Biloh is already proven dirty, and it's well established that he backs shell companies such as yourself.  A low end provider simply couldn't pony up that kind of capital in a short time - that is simply fact.  Not to mention that you've been their little crusader from the start - and with Fabozzi becoming more and more a liability, you're simply being pimped up to eventually take his place in fronting the ColoCrossing VPS division.

The absolute best thing you can do, is simply say "I will not say another word on this matter", and walk away.  But do NOT think you can insult an entire community with such obvious lies, and not have someone take the piss of you for it.  You're not just insulting independent providers that actually worked hard to get to where we are - you're insulting the clients, hobbyists, and other folks here by thinking they would actually be stupid enough to believe you.

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
"a lot of our advisers and also our upstream is expressing a major concern for us regarding our LET plans"

Do you have advisers, like people semi versed with say bandwidth and above say the age of ummm nicely, 35?  I ask because the basic functional math component in a 100TB offer is lacking.  Equally lacking are the Terms of Service, which I am a stickler about and often a heckler of.

While this is an interest generator, 100TB for $5 along with a truckload of RAM and 4 cores and a heap of disk, using the resources within ToS / AUP would be very hard to impossible.  It's really too close to being false advertising.   There are regulations over such things by law, as there are regulations about having contests and not issuing prizes.   Ho hum..   VPS Kickstarter x2....

"depict them as devil childs/conspirators, they are people too"

Some book of wisdom told me, "You shall know them by their deeds".  Arguably Chairman Mao and Adoph the Hitler were both people too.  Just saying, if it's made of meat, walks upright, less hairy, few other identifiers and yeah, human too :)

You point of them being helpful, meh, you are cash flow positive, current on invoices, etc.  Who are they to tell you?  If my upstream was impacting my sales and efforts or threatening / helping such like this I'd be shopping elsewhere and quick.  Cause, way I feel, seems like maybe they don't like the house brands being upstaged and perhaps you aren't the dirty house brand.

"We legitimately would allow a customer to use 100TB if they were using it for a legitimate purpose, such as a retail VPN service"

Don't think it was said here, but was in PM's.  Disallowing of ToR forthcoming.   ToR vs. VPN, meh, much of the same bad behavior and legal implications.  Depends on the VPN provider and target niche.  Certainly troubling traffic though.

This drawing of opinion on what is legitimate use is TROUBLING.  I can draw one parallel.

I picked up a MagicJack for calling.   Cheap, darn near free in big picture.   Went and dialed a radio listen line.  The number is disallowed.  Dialed another network, same thing.  Here they limit my calling based on their policies, be them random.

Contrast that to other VOIP providers / options that just a tad more, well none of the blocks and random might be an issue type thing.

Dylan

We don't have any bad intentions. We want to provide a good service and we try very hard to do so and I don't see why we have to be attacked for it.
"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

You may well believe that what you're doing is both good business and pro-consumer, but it's neither and anybody with a modicum of business and/or technical sense can see that.

So there are two possible conclusions to be had here: one, you're full of it; or two, you genuinely don't know what you're doing.

I'm not sure which is worse.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
In fairness, many providers have idle capacity. 

So offering a few big deal giveaways is understandable.   Saw that with the storage VPS craze and 1TB at $10-14 / month.

Now you don't see many folks playing in that niche at that price.  Why?  Because eventually more users actually use their resources and the cash flow is so low that if solely running that mainly in sales pipe, well, self starvation.

Offering 100TB on each plan, math isn't there and risk is so high that it will end bad.   I think we saw the alpha stage here today on this thread and actual use starting.

blergh

Verified Provider
I use to love some KEXP... still love some of their shows.. Wo' Pop tonight... rocks.
Yeah, too bad they discontinued the uncompressed streams, or at least their website says so, haven't visited in a good while so wasn't aware of it.

Awmusic12635

Verified Provider
In fairness, many providers have idle capacity. 

So offering a few big deal giveaways is understandable.   Saw that with the storage VPS craze and 1TB at $10-14 / month.
I still get requests for the 1TB for $7 that I did once and that was almost a year ago :p

texteditor

Premium Buffalo-based Hosting
So where does William's example of swapping you in for one of his reverse proxies/caching frontends stand?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Yeah, too bad they discontinued the uncompressed streams, or at least their website says so, haven't visited in a good while so wasn't aware of it.
I never realized they had uncompressed streams :( sad.   What sort of bit rate were those streams?

Status
Not open for further replies.
amuck-landowner