amuck-landowner

A sad state for VPS offers

SkylarM

Verified Provider
Wow, that is pretty annoying.  What happens for an EC2-like setup, where you spin up a VPS for a few hours?  Does that count as a static address?  Is it possible to get a VPS on such a basis?  Are there VPS address pools that don't come from ARIN?  What about ipv6?  Thanks.
I wouldn't be able to tell you how that works. IPs for a VPS Provider are applied for as an ISP-based allocation, so it follows the same rules as ISP-based allocation requests. ARIN assumes that when you report on an IP block that most of that information hasn't changed so they don't typically ask for more information on older IP blocks. I'd expect a provider that does a lot of spin-up to try and work around that by using the temporary-users that are using the IP space? I wouldn't know for sure.

As far as IPv6 I wouldn't be able to tell you, I applied for my initial /36 and that was it. I'd expect it to function similarly, but different rules as far as allocation inquiry are concerned. (typical with arin is a /25 and greater for further justification).

Last edited by a moderator:

willie

Thanks, this is creeping me out a bit.  I do a fair amount of web surfing through proxy daemons on vps's, to help stay out of marketing databases and so forth.  I always figured LE or whoever could get my info from the VPS hosts if I were doing something dodgy (which I'm not), but they'd have to at least go out of their way to ask for it. It's not so great if all the info is already turned over to a central location ahead of time.  Sounds like a marketing bonanza to me (among other things).  My home ISP uses dynamic addresses and that suddenly looks more private despite the geolocation.

DamienSB

Verified Provider
There are almost no rules on IPv6 - if you are able to get at least 1 IPv4 allocation (/22 or greater) you can get a /32 of IPv6.

Also, ARIN does not give out /36 to ISP's. Only /32’s as per their policy manual.

DamienSB

Verified Provider
ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS.

They *refused* to give me a /36 and demanded that i take an entire /32 or zilch.

DamienSB

Verified Provider
But to be fair, when we got the IPv6 allocation our anual fee didnt go up. because you dont pay IPv4+ipv6, it is whatever is more.

Now im mad as hell. ima go get hotcakes from mc donalds

*grumbles*

KuJoe

Verified Provider
If we had got anything larger than a /36 our annual payments would have doubled. A /36 is plenty for our needs since we just assign a /48 per location so a /36 will let us expand to 4000 locations and 268435456 clients which is more than I'll ever need. If we reach 1 million clients or 100 locations I think I'll be hiring somebody else to deal with the networking stuff by then since I hate it. LoL.

SkylarM

Verified Provider
There are almost no rules on IPv6 - if you are able to get at least 1 IPv4 allocation (/22 or greater) you can get a /32 of IPv6.

Also, ARIN does not give out /36 to ISP's. Only /32’s as per their policy manual.
I got a /36 but that's because I was still in that bracket. I prob should have just gotten a /32 though as I'm in that appropriate bracket now. Oh well.

SkylarM

Verified Provider
Thanks, this is creeping me out a bit.  I do a fair amount of web surfing through proxy daemons on vps's, to help stay out of marketing databases and so forth.  I always figured LE or whoever could get my info from the VPS hosts if I were doing something dodgy (which I'm not), but they'd have to at least go out of their way to ask for it. It's not so great if all the info is already turned over to a central location ahead of time.  Sounds like a marketing bonanza to me (among other things).  My home ISP uses dynamic addresses and that suddenly looks more private despite the geolocation.
 Keep in mind it's ARIN that is taking first and last name ONLY. No address, no email, nothing else. If you're SERIOUSLY worried about it, ask a provider for an IP in one of their older iP blocks (for example my 162.218 and 162.220 IP ranges would not go back to ARIN with up-to-date information when I fill my 23.XX /20).

TECHNICALLY SPEAKING there is no way for ARIN to validate any of the information, they just use first/last name as a baseline to try and prove that the IP ranges are in use -- if they didn't you'd have tons of companies just applying for new IP blocks and saying "oh yeah it's full, trust us".

Keep in mind that even if a provider is leasing their IP space (say from CC) they still have to provide justification when they ask for larger IP blocks, as CC has to provide this information to ARIN. The policies on this are a bit out in the wind as far as formatting goes, but the basic information would be: http://crissic.net/docs/IPJustification.pdf (this is our form for large IP allocations). While it does not specifically ASK For first/last names a provider could request that information, and then forward it up to ARIN to provide reason as to why you have such a large IP block. All large allocations have to be documented with ARIN and a justifiable reason as to why a company/person is assigned say a /24 instead of a /25. You can't simply say "well because they said they need it" you need some form of documentation saying it's in use.

peterw

TECHNICALLY SPEAKING there is no way for ARIN to validate any of the information, they just use first/last name as a baseline to try and prove that the IP ranges are in use -- if they didn't you'd have tons of companies just applying for new IP blocks and saying "oh yeah it's full, trust us".
Some providers play the game "you get a free vps for 1-3 months" and then assign about 20 ips to the vps. Troublesome if these 20 ips are connected to someones name.

amuck-landowner