amuck-landowner

A sad state for VPS offers

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
The IPV4 hording and signing up for space as "providers" and even hijacking allocations is out of control at Colocrossing.

Does ARIN have a standard complaint mechanism about things like this?

FHN-Eric

Verified Provider
CC locations are pretty much saturated, mainly Buffalo but some titles are out of hand for example one linked in this thread since CC doesn't have presence in Swiss no need to use it really unless well its a last hope marketing strategy.

We started to use no buffalo - New York City though :)
I could very easily go contact ocityhosting.com, get a dedicated, and claim not cc.
The IPV4 hording and signing up for space as "providers" and even hijacking allocations is out of control at Colocrossing.

Does ARIN have a standard complaint mechanism about things like this?
Not that I know of, but at least singlehop, and softlayer can handle IP addresses properly.

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Okay group, for the IP allocation experts (providers) that have clear abuse examples on CC's network, private message me.

This could be many things.  Including offers on nearly free VPSes bundling multiple IPs out of CC. 

RyanD

Verified Provider
Okay group, for the IP allocation experts (providers) that have clear abuse examples on CC's network, private message me.

This could be many things.  Including offers on nearly free VPSes bundling multiple IPs out of CC. 
Nothing in ARIN's policies say you can't "give away" IPs. Thats just a marketing tactic.

You do however, have to ensure that they are justifiable and maintain records of such.  You'll also find that a representative of your organization will also have to sign an attestation that the records are accurate. Falsification of such records is grounds for IP de-allocation. I hope thats not the case here. 

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Nothing in ARIN's policies say you can't "give away" IPs. Thats just a marketing tactic.

You do however, have to ensure that they are justifiable and maintain records of such.  You'll also find that a representative of your organization will also have to sign an attestation that the records are accurate. Falsification of such records is grounds for IP de-allocation. I hope thats not the case here.
Sure. ARIN still wants accurate and justified usage. What happens when they start asking for MAC tables and you have 1000 ip's bound under a single MAC because it's an OVZ node with a bunch of /24's? I know they have at least 1 staffer that doesn't like VPS' at all and kept questioning us if each server really needed an IP or if we could just NAT everything.

Francisco

SeriesN

Verified Provider
Sure. ARIN still wants accurate and justified usage. What happens when they start asking for MAC tables and you have 1000 ip's bound under a single MAC because it's an OVZ node with a bunch of /24's? I know they have at least 1 staffer that doesn't like VPS' at all and kept questioning us if each server really needed an IP or if we could just NAT everything.

Francisco
Sounds like an smart individual tbh though. 

Magiobiwan

Insert Witty Statement Here
Verified Provider
Don't forget our Zurich location. That's not ColoCrossing. Our Kansas Location is WSI. We have our servers with ColoCrossing, but that doesn't mean we ARE ColoCrossing.

RiotSecurity

Don't forget our Zurich location. That's not ColoCrossing. Our Kansas Location is WSI. We have our servers with ColoCrossing, but that doesn't mean we ARE ColoCrossing.
Okay, pardon me.

The only part of bluevm I like is the main sites hosted on WSI ( http://204.12.2**.**/~bluevm )

SkylarM

Verified Provider

Records required for small allocations are all fairly basic, and there's no "proper" format for justification forms for larger allocations (they typically only inquire relating to allocations larger than /25's, sometimes smaller but rarely from the 3 times I have applied). Information for small blocks/individual IPs is simply a client name, and that's that.

There are "guidelines" to what they want for IP justification, but there's no way for them to validate any of the information.

Edit: Requirements are based off of my experience with an initial application, and 2 ip requests thereafter (I have a /22, a /21, and a /20) - not sure what the process is like for larger allocations.

willie

Records required for small allocations are all fairly basic, and there's no "proper" format for justification forms for larger allocations (they typically only inquire relating to allocations larger than /25's, sometimes smaller but rarely from the 3 times I have applied). Information for small blocks/individual IPs is simply a client name, and that's that.
Wait, do VPS vendors routinely give client names (matched to IP addresses) to ARIN or anyone else?  I'm not doing anything sketchy on any VPS's but I still would have thought this was private info, at least unless there was an actual problem.  :(

SkylarM

Verified Provider
Wait, do VPS vendors routinely give client names (matched to IP addresses) to ARIN or anyone else?  I'm not doing anything sketchy on any VPS's but I still would have thought this was private info, at least unless there was an actual problem.  :(
It is required for ARIN IP requests, yes.
https://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#four24

(C2) For any static assignments to customers, such as leased line, colocation, or virtual private/dedicated servers, list each IP/subnet assigned along with the corresponding customer name.

(C3) For any shared web hosting platforms, list each IP address used and provide only one customer domain hosted on each.

(C4) For any internal utilization, list each IP/subnet assigned and the corresponding device name and purpose.

SkylarM

Verified Provider
Say hello to the NSA if you are using your own vps for vpn sessions.
Yeah, the NSA sure gets a lot from your name and nothing more. They just have a list of "John Does" and their IPs lying about and they poke at them from time to time for funsies when they are bored.

amuck-landowner