amuck-landowner

Antivirus

abyssis

Hi I was wondering what Antivirus do you guys use, if any? I was recently reading some reviews on the internet and majority of them seems kinda off. So I was kinda hoping I could get more "serious" answers here. I was thinking of installing Avast (free edition). Would that be a bad idea? I haven't used any Antivirus since now because I never really needed one but right now I just feel like I should probably consider getting one.

Thank you.

blergh

Verified Provider
I use NOD32, been using for a good few years now. It's doing what it's supposed to, not using too much resources & not adding any bloat.

Magiobiwan

Insert Witty Statement Here
Verified Provider
I use Microsoft Security Essentials on my computers. It's free, it WORKS, and it has relatively low resource impact. It has pretty darn good detection rates for everything BUT Zero-Days. Like any other Antivirus solution, it doesn't work alone, you need to pair it with things like CommonSense.exe and InternetSenseAndNoToolbarInstallation.bat. 

abyssis

I use Microsoft Security Essentials on my computers. It's free, it WORKS, and it has relatively low resource impact. It has pretty darn good detection rates for everything BUT Zero-Days. Like any other Antivirus solution, it doesn't work alone, you need to pair it with things like CommonSense.exe and InternetSenseAndNoToolbarInstallation.bat. 
Gotcha.

WebSearchingPro

VPS Peddler
Verified Provider
Microsoft Security Essentials (free) with common sense - it works and its extremely quick to deploy.

The downside is its not techncally licensed for business usage, you would need to use Microsoft Endpoint Security in a business environment (not free).

datarealm

Verified Provider
+1 for microsoft security essentials, or otherwise avoiding windows when possible.  virtualbox works great for times that you really need to get something done under windows, and then it can be shut down.

Magiobiwan

Insert Witty Statement Here
Verified Provider
Windows 8 comes with Microsoft Defender, which is MSE plus a bit of Antimalware built in. You should really consider upgrading to the full Windows 8, as the Previews are going to stop working soon. 

abyssis

Windows 8 comes with Microsoft Defender, which is MSE plus a bit of Antimalware built in. You should really consider upgrading to the full Windows 8, as the Previews are going to stop working soon. 
I'm pretty much just testing and I will most likely be going back to Windows 7 anytime soon. Thanks for all the replies!

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
On my personal and my friends computers I use Microsoft Security Essentials.

On my work computer I use Symantec Endpoint Protection (.Cloud version)

Riccardo_G

I use NOD32, using one years . Is doing what it is supposed to, do not use too much resources and do not add any bloat.

amuck-landowner