/13

/15

/16

/17

/21

/22

/23

/24

We're in progress now getting some space, hopefully.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dillybob

Noobie Question here:

But, once the blocks are all out for ipv4, will ipv4 ip's become 'legacy' and hosts will most likely charge extra for them? (for the ones they have un-used by ex-clients)

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Noobie Question here:

But, once the blocks are all out for ipv4, will ipv4 ip's become 'legacy' and hosts will most likely charge extra for them?
You can expect the price of each IP address to float up within a year or so.

It's possible V6 will explode in popularity and the whole V4 drought never happens, but most expect at least 5 - 10 years before V6 has any claws.

Francisco

ItsChrisG

Verified Provider
I am getting plans and funds in place to start buying blocks of IPs at this point - theres no avoiding it; unless you just stop selling services that require IPv4's you dont have or take back all the people you gave tons of IPs to for basically nothing.

A lot of people are going to realize how stupid they were including a /24 with a $60-$150 server when they cant setup new customers or expand whatever they need to.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I am getting plans and funds in place to start buying blocks of IPs at this point - theres no avoiding it; unless you just stop selling services that require IPv4's you dont have or take back all the people you gave tons of IPs to for basically nothing.

A lot of people are going to realize how stupid they were including a /24 with a $60-$150 server when they cant setup new customers or expand whatever they need to.
Well that's just it. There's multiple providers (some good ones too), that are giving /24's to burn blocks and to get more. They make a lot of sales because of it, but they keep burning up all their IP space. They also get into trouble because they usually sold the servers are barely profit just to compete and get more.

I'm waiting to see which provider is going to bump current pricing up (even current customers) in hopes of shedding their biggest cows.

Francisco

gordonrp

Verified Provider

How much do you expect to pay to buy IPs?

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Well, market value is ~$10/IP one off, depending on block size.

What's likely going to be easier is to find brands that are barely keeping afloat that have ARIN allocations (even small ones) and buy them out for as cheap as you can.

You're going to end up with a crap ton of /21's and things like that, but it'd at least have revenue attached to it, especially if you have good lease agreements.

Francisco

ItsChrisG

Verified Provider
I won't pay more than $6/IP at this point - theres plenty available at that price or less.

Anyone asking for more is not in tune with current market (June 17, 2015)

I've done 2 deals (either for just IPs or with company/clients attached) for $2.50-$4/IP thus far

ItsChrisG

Verified Provider
Well, market value is ~$10/IP one off, depending on block size.

What's likely going to be easier is to find brands that are barely keeping afloat that have ARIN allocations (even small ones) and buy them out for as cheap as you can.

You're going to end up with a crap ton of /21's and things like that, but it'd at least have revenue attached to it, especially if you have good lease agreements.

Francisco
When you do a deal like that, typically (at least IMO), the revenue/clients attached are trash anyways and you close out the business (as smoothly as you can) after the purchase to avoid any of the hassle, problems, etc that you would take on with the customers associated with such a company and enjoy your new IP allocations.

gordonrp

Verified Provider
Will be interesting to see how things are in 12 months. $2.5-$4 per IP sounds like a steal that is too good to last. Heck, many clients rent IPs for $1/mo. Personally I've not seen anything available for less than $6.50.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I am an observer mainly in this IP transaction inevitability.

The $10 per IP was on big big blocks multiple times of many years.   Lots of shops aren't holding that many IPs and have smaller blocks = smaller cash.

Accumulation approach on the IPs for holding is a deferred investment with rental / lease intention to get back some of the investment.

The IP pool depletion is going to matter to end buyers when the market as a whole ups prices. Whole market price uptick is a ways out.  Lots of DCs sitting on big piles of IPs and able to throw fat blocks to make deals happen.

DCs should have enough allocation (if they don't, they better  get to selling the place off).  There is always their actual BW upstream and their allocations available.  BW provider side will use this to up per Mbps cost via IP bundling.  Considering how far cheap BW has gone down - the IP addon are welcomed oxygen for them.

Near term small deals $6~ per IP doable I think top side.  Prices are being torn by the accumulated IP just to sell them folks ...

gordonrp

Verified Provider
I want to know where Chris is getting these $2.50 IP ranges, supposedly. I'll take a /17 at $2.50/ip.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I want to know where Chris is getting these $2.50 IP ranges, supposedly. I'll take a /17 at $2.50/ip.
Exactly what I said, defunct brands that had a few smaller ranges.

Anyone that can swing a /17 or something is probably not looking to get out of the market this very second or for $2.50/ea.

You might find some brands that are hard up for funds and could use the $80,000, but not common.

Francisco

ItsChrisG

Verified Provider
Go shopping for some of the TONS of Chinese that opened "USA Entities" and got IP's out the ass and would love to get $100K so they can get married, buy a house, and not worry about shit for the rest of their lives.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
0.11 left. Still on track for July or August run out.
Not been any huge bites as of late. A /16 and I think a /15 recent, but I was expecting someone to get a /13 or something by now.

Still, end of July seems accurate.

Francisco

rds100

Verified Provider
A /13 went to TIme Warner Cable today and the stock is down to 0.07. Not much more left to give. The largest block they have left is a /13 now.

And Linode got a /15 too. They were lucky to catch the last train it seems :)

amuck-landowner