amuck-landowner

ARIN Stock Changes Feb 2014 - Down to 1.38

SkylarM

Verified Provider
Yeah I don't know how they justified a /10.

All I can think is that for such huge organizations, ARIN allows them to justify more than just 3 months of growth. That has to be like "We don't need IP space for the rest of our existence."

I'm really happy to see that i'm wrong and that there isn't a /22 policy. I'm waiting on TeamARIN

to confirm on twitter but from what I've read there isn't, they just have much more strict policies.

To anyone that has got a subnet recently, what was your turn around time from start<>finish? I know

Nick/etc mentioned 5 weeks earlier, but anyone else?

Francisco
Ours took about the same if we didn't argue with ARIN about the information they demanded. Spent an additional 2 weeks or so going back and forth with them on that.

willie

OVH announced a new policy where you can get up to 256 ip's on a server with zero monthly costs, just $3/IP setup fee.  It's like everyone WANTS to burn through IP's.

SkylarM

Verified Provider
ARIN is down to its final /8 of available space in its inventory and has moved into Phase Four of its IPv4 Countdown Plan. All IPv4 requests are now subject to Countdown Plan processes, so please review the following details carefully.

All IPv4 requests will be processed on a "First in, First out" basis, and all requests of any size will be subject to team review, and requests for /15 or larger will require department director approval.

ARIN's resource analysts will respond to tickets as they appear chronologically in the queue. Each ticket response is treated as an individual transaction, so the completion time of a single request may vary based on customer response times and the number of requests waiting in the queue. Because each correspondence will be processed in sequence, it is possible that response times may exceed our usual two-day turnaround.

The hold period for returned, reclaimed, and revoked blocks is now reduced to 60 days. All returned, revoked, and reclaimed IPv4 address space will go back into the available pool when the 60 day period has expired. Staff will continue to check routing/filtering on space being reissued and will notify recipients if there are issues.

When a request is approved, the recipient will have 60 days to complete payment and/or an RSA. On the 61st day, the address space will be released back to the available pool if payment and RSA are not completed.

We encourage you to visit the IPv4 Countdown Phase Four page at:

https://www.arin.net/resources/request/countdown_phase4.html

ARIN may experience situations where it can no longer fulfill qualifying

IPv4 requests due to a lack of inventory of the desired block size. At that time, the requester may opt to accept the largest available block size or they may ask to be placed on the Waiting List for Unmet Requests. Full details about this process are available at:

https://www.arin.net/resources/request/waiting_list.html

Please contact [email protected] or our Help Desk +1.703.227.0660 if you have questions about these procedural changes.

Regards,

Leslie Nobile

Director, Registration Services

American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN) _______________________________________________

ARIN-Announce

You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to the ARIN Announce Mailing List ([email protected]).

Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:

http://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-announce

Please contact [email protected] if you experience any issues.

ocitysolutions

Verified Provider
It took us about five weeks when we were going through the initial request process a few months ago. Allocations like this one are plain stupid in my opinion. I dont see how there can be such different treatment of different sized organizations.

SkylarM

Verified Provider
Find it pretty interesting that the last big IP allocations have gone to similar stuff.

/14 to Time Warner Cable (I think it was a /14?)

/12 to Cloudflare

/10 to Akamai

Last edited by a moderator:

Dylan

Akamai powers the world. Without Akamai you won't get Windows updates and you'll all be hacked. ARIN gave Akamai those IPs to save us from destruction.

/end sarcasm.
On any given day 15-30% of all internet traffic is delivered by Akamai. They're one of the few large companies actually using their big allocations and are the last ones we should be complaining about.

concerto49

Verified Provider
On any given day 15-30% of all internet traffic is delivered by Akamai. They're one of the few large companies actually using their big allocations and are the last ones we should be complaining about.
Having Internet traffic doesn't mean you need ips.

Kris

Having Internet traffic doesn't mean you need ips.
To be fair, neither does a small DC in Buffalo with a few Quadranet PoPs, but your uplink pulled off a /14 allocation (around 500,000 IPs) 

Akamai will actually put the IPs to good use, meanwhile... 

Still wondering who @ ARIN got a new car from my favorite knockaround guys  :lol:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
CC paying ARIN off....

I've heard jokes about a CC guy dating someone at ARIN... No idea if they are two dudes dating though...

CC justifies their IPs, I just think they are IP justifying with fraudulent data in mass.  More on that in the future when someone trips on something or ARIN is run around and IP justification data goes out in public or at least to someone with some authority to audit something properly.  As-is ARIN is just a PITA and  my opinion incompetent about justifications.

concerto49

Verified Provider
To be fair, neither does a small DC in Buffalo with a few Quadranet PoPs, but your uplink pulled off a /14 allocation (around 500,000 IPs) 

Akamai will actually put the IPs to good use, meanwhile... 

Still wondering who @ ARIN got a new car from my favorite knockaround guys  :lol:
You can complain to and about Colocrossing. Isn't my problem. I'm not going to hug them like a bear like some people :p

I have nothing further to say on how they work, but if you feel they aren't justified as well, feel free to scream.

Kris

You can complain to and about Colocrossing. Isn't my problem. I'm not going to hug them like a bear like some people :p

I have nothing further to say on how they work, but if you feel they aren't justified as well, feel free to scream.
I'd have better luck getting support from Solus or WHMCS.

Just an observation, there are bigger fish to fry than Akamai  :rolleyes:

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
So...did it last?

ipv4 still looks available on demand and cheap.

Now it's September... ;)
ARIN's going to empty faster than their own predictions just because a lot of large corporations haven't picked up their last space. ARIN got a /12 from IANA yesterday but that doesn't change much.

I don't think i've seen Amazon, rackspace, etc, get anything in the past little bit so they're bound to take a fairly healthy bite out of whatever's available. Microsoft got a good sized block not too long ago but if their cloud is growing at an insane rate, they'll be back for more w/o issue. We could very well see some /12's or even another /10 go out the door to the right large corporation.

August was probably a bit early, but given how quickly things dropped to 1 it wasn't an unreasonable view.

Francisco

SkylarM

Verified Provider
Helps that ARIN now takes WEEKS not DAYS to complete requests. That adds to the appearance that IPv4 isn't depleting at a rapid rate.

amuck-landowner