amuck-landowner

ARIN Stock Changes Feb 2014 - Down to 1.38

coreyman

Verified Provider
Yes I've heard it a million times 'because it was the agreement'. Why aren't they making new agreements? Clearly other areas have more of a need than afrinic right now.

Are you saying Africa doesn't deserve the IPs? This doesn't sound right.
No I'm saying they have no immediate need, I didn't say they didn't 'deserve'. Other areas 'need' them more since they have over an entire /8 to give out in their pool already.

qps

Verified Provider
Yes I've heard it a million times 'because it was the agreement'. Why aren't they making new agreements? Clearly other areas have more of a need than afrinic right now.

No I'm saying they have no immediate need, I didn't say they didn't 'deserve'. Other areas 'need' them more since they have over an entire /8 to give out in their pool already.
The geographic areas covered AFRINIC currently have very low Internet connectivity penetration.  As the continent develops, there will be a need for IPv4 space.  Just because they don't need it now doesn't mean they won't need it in the future.

I suspect we'll even see some new providers opening up shop in AFRINIC areas because they have IPv4 space available, which will stimulate the economies in these countries from taxes, jobs, etc.

If you need IPv4 addresses in the ARIN zone, you can get them on the open market.  There's tons of space available.  Sure, it's not cheap like getting it from ARIN, but there's no shortage of space out there.

coreyman

Verified Provider

The geographic areas covered AFRINIC currently have very low Internet connectivity penetration.  As the continent develops, there will be a need for IPv4 space.  Just because they don't need it now doesn't mean they won't need it in the future.

I suspect we'll even see some new providers opening up shop in AFRINIC areas because they have IPv4 space available, which will stimulate the economies in these countries from taxes, jobs, etc.

If you need IPv4 addresses in the ARIN zone, you can get them on the open market.  There's tons of space available.  Sure, it's not cheap like getting it from ARIN, but there's no shortage of space out there.
Before that ever happens we will all be using IPV6 so the need for ipv4 will be null and void. I didn't realize that the main ipv4 authorities were worried about economic development in certain countries, or even that it was relevant.

qps

Verified Provider

Before that ever happens we will all be using IPV6 so the need for ipv4 will be null and void. I didn't realize that the main ipv4 authorities were worried about economic development in certain countries, or even that it was relevant.
IPv6 won't be the answer for a long time.  Especially with all of the second hand gear that will probably get deployed in some of these locations.  Just trying to look at it from another point of view.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider

IPv6 won't be the answer for a long time.  Especially with all of the second hand gear that will probably get deployed in some of these locations.  Just trying to look at it from another point of view.
I tend to agree, I still think V6 is going to be mostly for large ISP's that don't want to give their users dedicated IP's on their more budget plans. Grandma/Grandpa with their 5Mbit plan that they check their email with won't care that their service is NAT'd, they just care about their emails and their youtube cat videos.

There is just so much older gear that doesn't do IPV6 in general, nevermind IPV6 in hardware mode. There's many switches that are very popular to this day that do V6 in software, meaning a small DDOS attack is going to blow the whole unit up.

Francisco

qps

Verified Provider
45.2.0.045.3.255.255ARIN2015-09whois.arin.netALLOCATED 45.66.0.045.67.255.255RIPE NCC2015-09whois.ripe.netALLOCATED 128.201.0.0128.201.255.255LACNIC2015-09whois.lacnic.netALLOCATED 131.196.0.0131.196.255.255LACNIC2015-09whois.lacnic.netALLOCATED 137.59.0.0137.59.255.255APNIC2015-09whois.apnic.netALLOCATED 139.5.0.0139.5.255.255APNIC2015-09whois.apnic.netALLOCATED 139.26.0.0139.26.255.255AFRINIC2015-09whois.afrinic.netALLOCATED 139.28.0.0139.28.255.255RIPE NCC2015-09whois.ripe.netALLOCATED 144.48.0.0144.48.255.255APNIC2015-09whois.apnic.netALLOCATED 144.168.0.0144.168.255.255ARIN2015-09whois.arin.netALLOCATED 149.248.0.0149.248.255.255ARIN2015-09whois.arin.netALLOCATED 152.89.0.0152.89.255.255RIPE NCC2015-09whois.ripe.netALLOCATED 157.119.0.0157.119.255.255APNIC2015-09whois.apnic.netALLOCATED 161.123.0.0161.123.255.255AFRINIC2015-09whois.afrinic.netALLOCATED 164.163.0.0164.163.255.255LACNIC2015-09whois.lacnic.netALLOCATED 192.141.0.0192.141.255.255LACNIC2015-09whois.lacnic.netALLOCATED 192.142.0.0192.143.255.255AFRINIC2015-09whois.afrinic.netALLOCATED

coreyman

Verified Provider
Yeah  ARIN emailed earlier today saying they got a /14 and it was burned up right away giving one /15 and two /16's   anyone here one of those lucky 3x people?

The actual waiting list is here - [SIZE=11pt]https://www.arin.net/resources/request/waiting_list.html#report[/SIZE]

That's funny since I've been waiting over a week after sending 'ACCEPT' to their 'largest allocation policy' for my /24 range to be assigned. They are jumping right on that waiting list as SOON as they were assigned ips.

Edit: Maybe I should change my answer to be put on the waiting list and get what I was qualified for even faster?

Last edited by a moderator:

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
As of today, we are down to 0.0007% of a /8

(46 /24's)

Make that 38 now.

A few more days? Maybe even next week?

The /24's lasted a lot longer than I had figured. I was sure they would've all been gone last month, but ARIN has been very slow to reply to tickets.

Francisco

rds100

Verified Provider
Who cares about the remaining /24s? I consider ARIN's ipv4 depleted from the moment they only had /23s and /24s left.

Nett

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
Saw one of the CC shells (or maybe just operating in Buffalo?) receiving a /24. Are they that desperate?

msp - nick

Verified Provider
Well.

i got approved for my /20 that I applied for back in June. Only got told a few days ago.. However going on the waiting list for the ips now.

they did say I could have a /24 but for the $500/yr it doesn't sound worth it as for $500 more you get 15 extra blocks. When they have them that is...

ill get them. Eventually.

coreyman

Verified Provider
Well.

i got approved for my /20 that I applied for back in June. Only got told a few days ago.. However going on the waiting list for the ips now.

they did say I could have a /24 but for the $500/yr it doesn't sound worth it as for $500 more you get 15 extra blocks. When they have them that is...

ill get them. Eventually.

You could be waiting years, you might as well take a /24 and and apply for your range again in 3 months. (IMO)

msp - nick

Verified Provider
Hmm, yes understanding, that would've been a better idea... We'll see what happens in the next 12 months, it's there anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner