amuck-landowner

Backupsy dumps Colocrossing :)

wlanboy

Content Contributer
Does anyone really use IPV6 in production? I mean until all carriers get on board globally there really isn't a benefit in having IPV6 other than the fact people want it so they can ping google IPV6.
Noone will use IPv6 if noone is providing services through IPv6.

So for me it is a must that all important things (web, mail, ftp, ..) are accessible through IPv6.

ryanarp

Catalyst Host
Verified Provider
Noone will use IPv6 if noone is providing services through IPv6.

So for me it is a must that all important things (web, mail, ftp, ..) are accessible through IPv6.
I really think it will take complete IPV4 depletion before everyone gets serious about IPV6. I have tunnel broker setup on all our servers, just don't hand those out by default since it isn't native IPV6. 

concerto49

Verified Provider
I really think it will take complete IPV4 depletion before everyone gets serious about IPV6. I have tunnel broker setup on all our servers, just don't hand those out by default since it isn't native IPV6. 
You want to get people started so at least they can transition when shit hits the fan. You don't want a Y2K bug type of scenario.

budi1413

Hehe, me too!
Me three.

I think the correlation here is that you gain business by choosing more wisely your upstream. :p

I think if more people pulled out and there were more diverse options the industry would be better. No shortage of CC hosts, so no one lists them as a criteria. Lots of folks have the criteria of anything but CC... so go for it. Dump them.
I'm actually tried Backupsy once. But CC network is meh, too much packet loss. So i canceled the service. IMHO, this is the most brilliant decision that Oktay did. Let's attack Backupsy then. :D

I think he has servers in another Dallas facility as well as Incero. Not sure though. 
IIRC his VpsDime brand using Incero.

Last edited by a moderator:

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I'm wanting to know why this happened. I believe Oktay praised CC from time to time, so I don't see him leaving unless something bad happened. He's still selling out of CC on his other brands so I'm hoping he'll grace us with his presence and let us know.

serverian

Verified Provider
Well, for starters I did not dump Colocrossing. I recently purchased a full cabinet with them.

I'm using them for VPSDime, Winity (new brand coming soon), GetDedi and Cloudive.

I also have lots of servers with them for Backupsy.

I did not migrate anyone from Colocrossing Datacenters to other datacenters.

I'm using their Buffalo, Dallas and Chicago locations for Backupsy.

Their Dallas location did not have space when I needed to put a server online. I'm good friends with Harry and wanted to try out their services for Dallas, so I've put the new server there. It's been fantastic.

As you see, my Backupsy servers use lots of incoming traffic and Atlantic Metro offers free unmetered incoming traffic, that's why I've gone with them for New York and Chicago locations for the new servers.

It came to a time where I don't have space in old servers which are with Colocrossing and that's why I've changed the test IPs to the new locations in the homepage. That's probably where you came to this conclusion.

For the record, Colocrossing's Dallas and Chicago locations are top notch.

Chicago stats from Nodeping: Uptime for last 30 days: 100%

Dallas stats from Nodeping: Uptime for last 30 days: 100%

And Buffalo improved a lot after the Level 3 coming into the blend:

Uptime for last 30 days: 99.997%

Believe or not, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Colocrossing's services. They have hired lots of people lately and response times have been improved dramatically.

I understand the whole LET purchase thing, the Aim2Game things and Chicago VPS drama somehow makes Colocrossing looks bad. Honestly, I do not care for any of those things. All I care is if my servers are online and I get support replies fast. Colocrossing satisfies my needs on these matters.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
But there will be no more Backupsy in CC, correct? Only existing clients will be there? New Backupsy clients, will not?

Am I understanding this correctly?

serverian

Verified Provider
But there will be no more Backupsy in CC, correct? Only existing clients will be there? New Backupsy clients, will not?

Am I understanding this correctly?
At the moment, no. If people cancels their services in those servers in the following months and we get a stock of 10 at least on a server, then yeah, we can put the server back into accepting new VMs.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
It came to a time where I don't have space in old servers which are with Colocrossing and that's why I've changed the test IPs to the new locations in the homepage. That's probably where you came to this conclusion.
Absolutely!

We can pretty much say that expansion at CC is done.   Filled and to stagnate.  

So while CC didn't get dumped, they did get demoted, at least for the Backupsy brand.  Not a single CC location now listed on public site :)

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Does anyone really use IPV6 in production? I mean until all carriers get on board globally there really isn't a benefit in having IPV6 other than the fact people want it so they can ping google IPV6.
We have a good number of clients that find production use for v6.  Aside from IRC, which is pretty common, I see a fair amount of v6 traffic.  No clue what it is (privacy, etc), but someone found a use for it.

It's not about it being used in production it's about it being available. If all the customer wants to do is ping google then they should be able to.
If the customer wants to ping6 google, then they should be able to find a host that allows them to do so.  One of my biggest pet peeves (and a very good way to start off on the wrong foot with us) is to come in making demands on the basis of "So and so does it, so you're going to do it for me too".

Believe or not, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Colocrossing's services. They have hired lots of people lately and response times have been improved dramatically.

I understand the whole LET purchase thing, the Aim2Game things and Chicago VPS drama somehow makes Colocrossing looks bad. Honestly, I do not care for any of those things. All I care is if my servers are online and I get support replies fast. Colocrossing satisfies my needs on these matters.
I think you're one of the few that have had a positive experience.  Not only we were downright lied to (and stolen from), but multiple times Biloh leaked confidential information to "his friends".  The network was always substandard, even after L3.  Support was a nightmare - never once did one (or even just two) of their "staff" complete a ticket.  It was always a fustercluck passed back and forth between monkeys with the excuse of "I'm forwarding this to X department".  In quite a few cases the techs were downright belligerent, lied about the problems (such as a network outage they caused, but attempted to blame us for), and even went so far as to make threats.

Now, I do wonder one thing - do you own your hardware with them, or are you leasing it?  I have noticed a trend where they are significantly nicer to the folks with rented hardware - I've made a comment before along the lines of them being desperate to keep gear from going unused, and I have a pretty good feeling that ties into it.

serverian

Verified Provider
Now, I do wonder one thing - do you own your hardware with them, or are you leasing it?  I have noticed a trend where they are significantly nicer to the folks with rented hardware - I've made a comment before along the lines of them being desperate to keep gear from going unused, and I have a pretty good feeling that ties into it.
Mostly colo. All Backupsy servers are colo, one rent for another brand and some RTO.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Oh... So you're not 'leaving' Colocrossing, you like them, but you're not putting new clients for Backupsy there either... but if stock becomes available on existing machines, then a new order may be placed on a CC server? If they work well for you, that's great. Why not just issue new stock there then, too? Seems like it'd be less complicated instead of temporarily phasing them out. You already have gear and a rack there.

Though I bet you use a lot of bandwidth for Backupsy, right? Is that where the problem is?

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner