amuck-landowner

Best free DNS hosting?

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
I do as well. 

Check out Amazon Route 53, I'm currently transitioning all my sites over there. :)

Edit: Sorry, not free, but darn cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kris

I just realized that even Rage4 displays email address in SOA record of the domains added :(
Granted, but you can choose the email to use at domain creation, doesn't default to the account address:

Mz7w2Do.png

I had an issue with an unused DNS vanity domain getting 1million+ queries per month, with no explanation. Higher TTL, nothing. I got IP logs, but they didn't quite help. I ended up just getting a partner plan as I was going to anyway.

I do wish the logs were more descriptive - I got 1MB+ all I saw was 'wow that's a lot of IPs... so what the *** do I do?

I ended up deleting that domain and moving it back to Zerigo. For the most part I'm happy with Rage4.

peterw

After trying some of the DNS services I moved my domain to dns.he.net.

No limits, no CC information and no public email needed to use this service.

mrrob32

I would not recommend using a free DNS service. That's just asking for trouble. You should look into DNS Made Easy, they are prices much lower than all of their major competitors and offer a level of service and security that you would not find with a free provider. Hope this helps.

Zach

Verified Provider
By the way, HE.net's DNS is now limited to only 1 domain, just saw that today.

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
I would not recommend using a free DNS service. That's just asking for trouble. You should look into DNS Made Easy, they are prices much lower than all of their major competitors and offer a level of service and security that you would not find with a free provider. Hope this helps.
I don't like DNS providers that nickel and dime customers, DNS Made Easy being one of them.

Dylan

My problem with DNS Made Easy is that their prices, while reasonable at first, increase outrageously if you go above your plan's included number of queries. They're definitely competitively priced if you stay within those limits, but if you go over just once or twice Amazon Route 53's flat pricing ends up being the better option.

As for free services, I don't think CloudFlare can be beat. You can disable the CDN and use them purely for DNS if you want and then you get a very fast (trading places back and forth with Dyn in most comparisons lately) totally free anycast service.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
Level of service for DNS? You're kidding. For me it is all about location/uptime. Not a lot of providers can beat he.net

By the way, HE.net's DNS is now limited to only 1 domain, just saw that today.
Where?

sen8dz.jpg

Amfy

Hi guys,

I've seen some of you have mention my service dns4.pro and I really have to thank you all. We're (Yes, 'We' - someone joined me about two months ago helping me with the new panel, he is also well known to the LEB/LET/VPSB community) really happy about that.

Without hosting your own DNS servers there is no way to accurately track your query usage.  The maker of DNS4.Pro explained to me that essentially it takes more resources to track the queries then it's worth so it's simpler just to answer them, DNS isn't a heavyweight system so unless you were using a truly massive number of queries per month the resulting bandwidth bill would be modest.  
Right, that's what I said to you on IRC and I still have that opinion. However, since so many asked for GeoDNS, this already needs more resource than usual dns, I decided to write something small to be able to provide stats to our users. This will be available in the new version!

Is this project run by someone we know at LET/VPSB? Unless I know who is behind it, cannot put my domains on it. There is no info on the website.
Yes, this is run by me. I'm new to VPSBoard, but I think many of you still remember me from LET and the #LEB IRC Channel.

As I've already mention, we're currently developing a new webinterface, are there any features you'd like to see there? (Besides GeoDNS and stistics where we are already working on). Regarding our network: If you're often in the #LEB IRC you might have already noticed me talking about it: We do now have 18 locations that are online, another two (or three) will come next week. To ensure the best redundancy, I've setup some internal routing system with iBGP, so behind each PoP are more servers that receive traffic.

Also I've seen lots of users sign up with us, adding domains but not switching them completely to us (aka they have not changed the nameserver for their domains), if there is anything we can help with (dnssec is a bit difficult to use and understand in the beginning), feel free to send me an e-mail.

dns4.pro <-- Looks nice, haven't switched my DNS yet because no GeoIP support, but they do support DNSSEC
Thanks for mention!

dns4.pro is the best free solution i've seen so far.
Also thanks for mention!

vanarp

@Amfy, Thanks for joining VPSB and making the post.

I was quite excited about dns4.pro when I first knew about it, but there is always hesitation to switch to it.

Basically there are questions like these in my mind that stop me from switching to your service:

- Who is exactly behind this and with what intentions?

- Will I ever be kicked out for some unknown reason?

- What practical limitations does this service has?

- What happens if they suddenly change mind to charge for the service and I am not prepared enough for it?

Zach

Verified Provider
Level of service for DNS? You're kidding. For me it is all about location/uptime. Not a lot of providers can beat he.net

Where?

sen8dz.jpg
Huh, strange, yesterday it was saying I was only allowed to have 1 domain.  They must have changed it.  But yeah, HE.net dns is probably the best DNS solution and with low TTL's too.

Amfy

Hi @vanarp,

Thank you very much for your interest and question.

I can initially understand some of your worries about the service dns4.pro, on the other site take a look what that project already required...

However, please let me clearify a few things: I also started as you all with only wanting (or able to) to spend a few dollars for internet stuff like a few VPS from LEB. That already shows that I'm not going to charge people using the dns service for private usage an arm and a leg. But of course, on the long term I have to finance this thingy, since operating such a network isn't done by buying the cheapest $2 VPS. Also this is not just a hobby done on one weekend. This project has its own ASN, it's own /24, it's own /48. Getting IP Space these days is extremely difficult; operating an proper anycast network within a low budget is even more difficult. I've spend months of work into this project. I had a lot of issues that I had to go through. There is and will be no reason why I should take it offline.

Now back to your questions:

- Who is exactly behind this and with what intentions?
I think the question who is behind this project, is already solved by my last post and the first paragraph of this one. And my or our intentions? Getting more experience, it's a awesome project where we can learn a lot from and on some point it might even make some money for our hard work.

- Will I ever be kicked out for some unknown reason?
Definitely not for 'unkown reasons', if there will be an issue we have to take care of, you can be sure that we're going to find a solution and at least tell you why we need to take your domain offline.

- What practical limitations does this service has?
There are no special limitations, besides the usual things you always have, like the content must be within the law, etc. If you think we might not be happy hosting your domain, just contact me upfront to prevent any issues :)

- What happens if they suddenly change mind to charge for the service and I am not prepared enough for it?
Hm, I guess that's something I can't answer, however, take Google Reader, even projects from *so big* companies like Google sometimes disappear. But again, I'd like to refer back to the first paragraph. The next version of our panel includes a Zone export which offers the ability to make a backup of your Zone(s).

I'd also like to note that we'll really try to stay with that "5 domains for free" plan and only charge for additional domains. If we're going to change that (which I absolutely do not think) on some point, we give our users enough time to make a decision or move away :)

I've been using namecheap mainly but I guess it's time to check dns4.pro
Sounds good, if you need any help or have further questions, please let me know admin (at) dns4.pro

amuck-landowner