amuck-landowner

BlueVM - S1-NY Disk Failure

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Not to be the resident d!ck again, but I thought recent threads elsewhere about BlueVM outages were odd.

Stuff like Server 1-3 and 6-9 experiencing issues at some location.

I'll ask, is there a lot of slabbing going on at BlueVM?

BlueVM

Verified Provider
@drmike - We do slab some of our nodes. Especially those nodes where we run BLUE0.5 and BLUE0 VPS.

You might be thinking "oh well they do that to squeeze more profit out of a node"... in reality we do it to make the VPS cheaper and more stable for our lowest plans.

1. We don't like nodes that have over 100 VPS, they tend to crash... they tend to find abuse easily and they can hit the max process count on linux.

2. When you sell VPS for $5 per year it takes a lot of them to fill up a node... Just to "fill the ram" using these plans you're looking at 150 - 400 VPS per node. We put extra disks in these systems to help improve the disk I/O and for the most part the load on these machines stays at about 5.0 total.

3. When you have a large number of VPS on a node you'd prefer to make sure that if one person abuses their service not everyone on that node is effected.

So yeah... we do it when it's justified and when it improves the overall user experience.

Virtovo

Verified Provider
We're working on keeping them low. Our AVERAGE (over this 3 month period) is about 2-4 hours (depending on priority, and support status. LImited Support Products get a lower priority). We're under a heavy load right now due to the disk failure (people want credit and want to complain), and I personally won't be answering tickets most of tomorrow, Christmas, and a day or two after (family stuff). The day or two after Christmas will be busy too, dealing with any backlogs from the days off. 
I wouldn't consider 2-4 hours slow.  Thanks for the clarification.

amuck-landowner