Hi,

I am in need for a budget dedi with the following specs minimum:

A decent CPU supporting virtualization

4GB RAM or more

1TB HDD; If RAID support, better

100Mbps unmetered or 1Gbps with atleast 5TB

4 or 5 usable IPv4

IPv6; native will be better

It will be used for creating a maximum of 3 KVM VPS, one for testing, another for a hobby project that send mails and one for Backup.

Let me know the lowest pricing that can be offered for the spec. Payment will be through PayPal either monthly or quarterly.

rds100

Verified Provider
We don't do unmetered or gigabit ports but if you nevertheless like any of our offers (check my signature), let me know. We do have native ipv6 and a /29 is included for dedicated servers, SWIP-ed to your name.

bizzard

We don't do unmetered or gigabit ports but if you nevertheless like any of our offers (check my signature), let me know. We do have native ipv6 and a /29 is included for dedicated servers, SWIP-ed to your name.
I checked your site. Is Ivy Bridge Pentium G2030 good enough for running 3 KVM's, with modest loads? If it does, it seems like a good deal for around USD 45.

rds100

Verified Provider
It depends what the KVMs are doing of course, but the G2030 is not a bad CPU. It's a dual core with CPU benchmark score 2985. You can see comparable CPU benchmarks here - http://www.cpubenchmark.net/mid_range_cpus.html

It is also a CPU that is currently in production and sold by Intel, not something that went End Of Sales 5 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

bizzard

It depends what the KVMs are doing of course, but the G2030 is not a bad CPU. It's a dual core with CPU benchmark score 2985.
One KVM will be for backup with disk encryption. Other two will run LAMP, mostly PHP applications with MySQL/MariaDB as database.

Do you offer any moneyback guarantee or coupons for the deal?

rds100

Verified Provider
There is 7 day money back guarantee of course. If you don't like it you can cancel within 7 days and get a refund.

If you tell me (PM) the exact configuration you like i can check tomorrow what we have in stock and we can talk.

About the CPU - it should have more than enough power for this usage. You should be more worried about the IO operations per second, since you want a mechanical HDD.

bizzard

There is 7 day money back guarantee of course. If you don't like it you can cancel within 7 days and get a refund.

If you tell me (PM) the exact configuration you like i can check tomorrow what we have in stock and we can talk.

About the CPU - it should have more than enough power for this usage. You should be more worried about the IO operations per second, since you want a mechanical HDD.
Thanks, Have PM'd you.

Hope an enterprise HDD will be good enough to handle the IO. If you can provide a 2 disk setup with a smaller SSD and 500GB HDD, that might also work fine for me.

rds100

Verified Provider
The enterprise 1TB HDDs we currently use are Seagate Constellation ES.3, which are quite good and reliable. However enterprise 500GB HDD costs almost the same as enterprise 1TB HDD, so it almost never makes sense to get an enterprise 500GB HDD. On the other hand we could make something custom with a 500GB non-enterprise HDD (cheaper) plus a small SSD. I will run some numbers tomorrow and PM you.

Of course no matter the HDD configuration you should always keep external backups. Any HDD or set of HDDs can fail unexpectedly.

concerto49

Verified Provider
This is not going to be used to sell VPS, but only for personal use. So, I am not interested in anything more than 8GB RAM as of now. If you can cut down the RAM and reflect that on the price, it would be great.
That is our base price - it's $49/month otherwise without the unmetered part, but that was part of your requirement.

bizzard

That is our base price - it's $49/month otherwise without the unmetered part, but that was part of your requirement.
I am not expecting something above 6TB now. So, if your $49 plan can accommodate that, I'll be more happy to go with it. And Xeon L5520 seems like a pretty good CPU, actually best among the offers I received.

The reason I don't need more RAM is that it will tempt me to make more virtual machines out of it, when I see more idle resources, which I am sure to have with the 24GB RAM in the specs.

concerto49

Verified Provider
I am not expecting something above 6TB now. So, if your $49 plan can accommodate that, I'll be more happy to go with it. And Xeon L5520 seems like a pretty good CPU, actually best among the offers I received.

The reason I don't need more RAM is that it will tempt me to make more virtual machines out of it, when I see more idle resources, which I am sure to have with the 24GB RAM in the specs.
https://getdedi.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=14 here it is. 10TB @ 100mbit

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Go grab a DelimiterVPS server, I've had one for a few months now and it's pretty impressive for $29/month. Setup time took less than a week for me and my co-worker also. Network isn't the greatest but uptime has been 99.995% since I signed up 53 days ago.

HP BL460C Dual L5420, 16GB, 1TB Disk, 10TB Bandwidth @ 1Gbps, 1 IPv4, and /64 of IPv6 - $39/mo @ http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1359553

I have the following plan running ESXi with over 8 VMs on it without any issue:

HP BL460C Dual X5150, 16GB, 500GB Disk, 5TB Bandwidth @ 1Gbps, 1 + /29 IPv4, /64 IPv6 - $29/mo

The default hardware RAID and ILO access are a nice touch also.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Go grab a DelimiterVPS server, I've had one for a few months now and it's pretty impressive for $29/month. Setup time took less than a week for me and my co-worker also. Network isn't the greatest but uptime has been 99.995% since I signed up 53 days ago.

HP BL460C Dual L5420, 16GB, 1TB Disk, 10TB Bandwidth @ 1Gbps, 1 IPv4, and /64 of IPv6 - $39/mo @ http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1359553

I have the following plan running ESXi with over 8 VMs on it without any issue:

HP BL460C Dual X5150, 16GB, 500GB Disk, 5TB Bandwidth @ 1Gbps, 1 + /29 IPv4, /64 IPv6 - $29/mo

The default hardware RAID and ILO access are a nice touch also.
See I really kinda want that Dual L5420, but the 40/month rate is only available at a quarterly rate.  

KuJoe

Verified Provider
See I really kinda want that Dual L5420, but the 40/month rate is only available at a quarterly rate.  
Better than paying annually. ;)

The only thing I don't like about it is I forget when my next invoice is due so I have to make a mental note to save funds each month for the invoice since it's bigger than I'm used to paying in one shot.

Also I wouldn't put anything critical on their servers until I've had at least a year to test it (and even then after my CM incident I would still be cautious). I consider it a disposable server so I use it for any testing, development, and as a playground for when I don't want to tie up CPU cycles on my other boxes.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Better than paying annually. ;)

The only thing I don't like about it is I forget when my next invoice is due so I have to make a mental note to save funds each month for the invoice since it's bigger than I'm used to paying in one shot.

Also I wouldn't put anything critical on their servers until I've had at least a year to test it (and even then after my CM incident I would still be cautious). I consider it a disposable server so I use it for any testing, development, and as a playground for when I don't want to tie up CPU cycles on my other boxes.
Haha well that's true.  Like you said though, it is a pretty big chunk of cash though ;)

What happened at CM?  Last I recall you were fine with them but was planning on moving things out of there because you're in Colorado now.  

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Haha well that's true.  Like you said though, it is a pretty big chunk of cash though ;)

What happened at CM?  Last I recall you were fine with them but was planning on moving things out of there because you're in Colorado now.  
The only reason I left CM is because they stopped accepting online payments and I didn't want to deal with mailing them a check every month and I wasn't going to move away from a monthly billing term with them either.

amuck-landowner