amuck-landowner

BuyVM announces free backups for all 256MB+ OpenVZ plans!

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Hello everyone!

While I know we discussed charging for backups (10% - 15%), we've decided to include free nightly backups

for all 256MB+ OpenVZ plans.

We will be installing the nodes sometime next month and should have the upgrades to stallion in beta within the next

week or two.

Fear not fellow 128MB lovers, backups will be available for a mere $0.10/month, or $1.20/year extra. You're

not required to order this if you're a 128MB, but it will be available.

What new features do backups allow?

Users will be able to not only restore from a full week of nightly backups, they will be allowed to also take

user controlled snapshots as well as create templates.

Users will also be able to mount a backup as read-only and be able to copy whatever data they may

need out of a backup/snapshot at any time.

Snapshots?

Snapshots are a fantastic way to test out if an upgrade goes properly or not. It blow up on you?

No problem, roll back.

We don't have a hard set figure of how many snapshots we'll allow per VPS, but I'm favouring 3.

Creating Templates?

From inside Stallion, customers will be able to create a template based off an OpenVZ of their choice.

Templates will be limited to a maximum size of 2GB each, more than enough to install even cPanel, etc.

You'll then be able to build/reinstall an OpenVZ from these templates at any time.

We don't have a hardset number in mind for how many to limit this to, but we'll probably do 10.

Thank you everyone for your continued support!

Francisco

Last edited by a moderator:

nunim

VPS Junkie
Will customers be able to download their OVZ templates or snapshots?  I don't have a BuyVM but these features would probably make me buy one.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Fear not fellow 128MB lovers, backups will be available for a mere $0.10/month, or $1.20/year extra. You're

not required to order this if you're a 128MB, but it will be available.
So.... free and almost free?

Sounds good to me.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Will customers be able to download their OVZ templates or snapshots?  I don't have a BuyVM but these features would probably make me buy one.
Not right away. We're using rsync w/ hardlinking to chop down the overall space usage. We'll probably throw some extra layers of deduplication as things progress.

I did a round about way of explaining that, but since we're not tar.gz'ing peoples filesystems, offering a backup link isn't as easy as just piping it through.

I'll likely do something similar to amazon where it'll just email/contact you with a download link once it's ready.

Templates will be much easier since those will be a tar.gz.

Francisco

Amitz

Damn, Fran, Good news! :)

But update your bloody website already, it still says Buffalo on it!

<3, Amitz

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Damn, Fran, Good news! :)

But update your bloody website already, it still says Buffalo on it!

<3, Amitz
Blah blah blah >_>

I got a new site on the way. We hired one of our own customers actually to do the new setup.

I'm sad because i'm out probably $1200 in previous designers that didn't "get" us. The fellow

we hired now took a few kicks to get things figured out but he's on the right path and we've

all been really happy with how it's looking.

Francisco

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Oh, and I forgot to mention.

NJ storage sometime next month as well :) We're not sending a lot of nodes to start (mostly to feel out the market).

Current customers get first dibs, of course.

Francisco

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony

NJ storage sometime next month as well :) We're not sending a lot of nodes to start (mostly to feel out the market).

Francisco
He forgot to mention - there is not a waiting list yet (so please don't open a ticket this early >_>), and we're not gonna do pre-pay/etc to hold a spot.  I will do a mass mail (and reply here or a new thread) when we are ready to start accepting said dibs, though :p

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent

Francisco
Reserve a 250GB block in NJ in my name.  I am buying.

As for the backup cost.  Geez, so you can actually buy something for a dime these days.

Unsure how you guys pull it off.   Keep it up!

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
@Aldryic C'boas & @Francisco is there any ETA to upgrade NJ nodes to pure SSD?
No ETA yet.

The amount of power we gained in NJ isn't enough to handle the temp gear we'd need to get the SSD's in place.

We lucked out that in LV we had like 5 - 6A spare so we could handle the SSD upgrades w/o too many headaches. In NJ we only gained 3A or so.

Don't worry, NJ will get the same love soon enough ;)

Francisco

johnlth93

"Users will also be able to mount a backup as read-only and be able to copy whatever data they may

need out of a backup/snapshot at any time."

This is some serious feature. Although it won't be any much useful for my business nature but someone is going to find this really useful.

As always +1 to fellows at buyvm ~ good job and keep it up  :)

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
"Users will also be able to 
mount a backup as read-only and be able to copy whatever data they mayneed out of a backup/snapshot at any time."

This is some serious feature. Although it won't be any much useful for my business nature but someone is going to find this really useful.

As always +1 to fellows at buyvm ~ good job and keep it up  :)

The mounting controls are my favourite future feature so far ;)

As of right now i'm just testing out restoring a backup via stallion to see how it goes.

The codes going quite fast and I expect to have the backups part in private testing this weekend.

Francisco

amuck-landowner