amuck-landowner

Capisso VMPanel

clone1018

No, while our source will be completely public, you'll need a license to install and use the software in production.

Zen

Per node. $3/mo is fine. $5/mo with added support SLA? Up front fee is fine but I don't recommend it - I would say change it to a master fee (the panel being the master and the nodes being the slaves) of $10/mo. So like Solus you pay $10/mo base and add on with nodes as you go.

Add a bunch of support options while retaining decent support offerings on the base fee and you'll make just as much money.

Zen

Money money money
That's the aim of the game. Why do you think Phil from SolusVM doesn't give a shit? He pays a bunch of Indians $1/ticket to say "This will be forwarded to someone who knows something" and then he does 1 hour of development per week and tells people "soon"..and everyone falls for it. Why do you think it's so easy to knock SolusVM off their horse? One competent development team needs to come together, pay a design team, and spend 2 weeks pumping out miracles..and tada, provided they aren't morons - SolusVM dies in an instant. Literally.

Curse the guy. When you make that much money, you stop developing, and you hire developers, and then more, and then more, and then more. With the client base he has, the monopoly he has, and the money he has, the panel should be competing with high end cloud services.. not stuck in the dark ages using mysql_.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chronic

The more the merrier. I think having providers pay per node is pretty fair, or at least it seems to be.

jarland

The ocean is digital
I like what you appear to be doing, but would you mind if I asked for you to introduce yourself here for everyone? Personally, I'm a little turned off by people being anonymous right now in light of recent events. I think that it's fairly justified.

vanarp

No, while our source will be completely public, you'll need a license to install and use the software in production.

Pardon my ignorance, but I never heard of Open Source software that needs to be paid for using it on own. I can understand if the payment is for the support and quick fixes.

XFS_Duke

XFuse Solutions, LLC
Verified Provider
I like what you appear to be doing, but would you mind if I asked for you to introduce yourself here for everyone? Personally, I'm a little turned off by people being anonymous right now in light of recent events. I think that it's fairly justified.
I like the project, but I second this... Please let people know who you are...

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
LOL.

Yeah, because the fact that your source being completely public won't make it completely trivial to null the license checking, right?  Right?  Oh, wait, yes it will.

rds100

Verified Provider
It's not a problem that people would null the license. People do this even for encoded software.

But if you null the license you will look like an ass in the eyes of your customers, which you probably don't know.

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
It's not a problem that people would null the license. People do this even for encoded software.

But if you null the license you will look like an ass in the eyes of your customers, which you probably don't know.
Uhh, LOL.  I do not think anyone would care about someone removing a pointless license check from a piece of open source software.  See also: the giant X-Chat Win32 debacle of last decade.

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
Not to talk smack but 100% of the people I have mentioned this to believe it's going to either:

• be a disaster.
  • not be completed.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Pardon my ignorance, but I never heard of Open Source software that needs to be paid for using it on own. I can understand if the payment is for the support and quick fixes.
vBulletin < 3 (and possibly 4?) were like this? Jelsoft used to spend a fortune on their legal team to DMCA all the people running nulled copies.

Francisco

clone1018

Hey there, I'm Luke Strickland, clone1018 is my online alias. I'm a software developer and hosting fanatic, but it's understandable you've never heard of me, I don't generally make new products like this. In case you're curious these are some of my other projects that I've created. If you'd like to know anything elase please just ask away and I'll do my best to help you.

It's understandable really, there aren't many companies even dealing money that are open source. But there are companies doing it, and we're one of them! Also about your "quick fixes", those would be committed for everyone to use, free of charge :p.

There are some really great companies that are following this movement, here are some of my favorites.

LOL.

Yeah, because the fact that your source being completely public won't make it completely trivial to null the license checking, right?  Right?  Oh, wait, yes it will.

Sure! And I fully expect 80% of our "customers" to be people who have nulled the software, piracy happens no matter what you do. And I don't plan on hurting my product by trying to protect against it. Hell, all you have to do is remove the license modules (I'll post source when it's done) and then remove the requirement from the validator of the form. 

Profits of a company are needed for security audits, advertising, support and development. My hope is that by licensing out the software, I can continue to devote time to fixing and improving it. If the software was open source and free there would be no possible way to support/develop the project after it's "complete", it would just fall off and become "that free panel". 

Not to talk smack but 100% of the people I have mentioned this to believe it's going to either:

• be a disaster.
  • not be completed.

I sure hope not :(.

Module for WHMCS?

Of course!

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner