amuck-landowner

Centarra Migrates Data Centers Some Customers Not Notified

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Centarra a provider offering out of Dallas, Texas, appears to be right now doing a crazy data center migration.  Customers allegedly were not told of the migration and are living through the unplanned downtime.

As per their website: http://centarra.com/

Migration is in progress.
In order to serve customers better, we are migrating our systems to a larger, higher density facility. Expected downtime is approximately 1 to 2 hours.

The emergency migration is nearly complete!

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
ChrisK, owner of Centarra said dedicated customers were notified about the move prior.  VPS folks however were not.

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
1-2 hours downtime... and 'Emergency Maintenance' - sounds a bit like running away from something, no?

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
So something you knew way in advance you opted to wait until last second to do anything about and didn't notify people properly, so called it "emergency" maint? Sounds pretty bad :p
It's possible he was trying to get them to give him better pricing and to save him the pain of migrating. It's also likely that they said 'lol no' and simply ramped his pricing way too much.

Francisco

Robert

I have a colo with Chris, and I was informed that there would be an upcoming migration at least a month ago, even though my gear personally wasn't being moved. Unsure why all clients weren't notified when there was obviously going to be a major migration... Not even something on the "server status" page: https://billing.centarra.com/status/

MattKC

Its was not a "payment runner", our lease was up with our existing datacenter.
So you knew well in advance but decided to exclude certain customers from notification, then called the move "emergency maintenance" when it was a scheduled move (and chose to not update your status page accordingly). Got it. Honesty goes a long way in this industry. I've never understood why providers choose the opposite. A move can be a positive thing if done to benefit customers in the long run. When you try to hide it, customers will lose trust in your service and be left to wonder why you chose to hide it.

Last edited by a moderator:

qps

Verified Provider
Some colo companies play hard ball on renewals because they know that a high percentage of the time they are going to get whatever they want so the company doesn't have to migrate somewhere else.  Migrations can be a big pain.  Not saying that's what happened here, but it could be.  

GS-Dylan

Sounds quite odd they told some customers then called it emergency... call me old fashioned but doesn't emergency imply you weren't planning for the event hence why it's an emergency? I'm also going to guess it was something to do with a renewal issue. However I still find it odd they only told certain customers. I feel like you would want to let all your clients know to prevent clients being upset and possibly leaving.

Wintereise

It's possible he was trying to get them to give him better pricing and to save him the pain of migrating. It's also likely that they said 'lol no' and simply ramped his pricing way too much.
This is most likely what happened, quite common in the industry sadly.

amuck-landowner