amuck-landowner

ColoCrossing and vpsBoard

Status
Not open for further replies.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
While ColoCrossing has zero involvement with vpsBoard (to my knowledge), they are receiving a lot of attention here, about 50% of the attention they get at LowEndTalk.com (a site that they own), this is both saddening for those of us paying for advertisement and for those who visit this forum to get away from LowEndTalk. A lot of us migrated here to get away from this BS. While I understand this is a more open, uncensored forum compared to LET, this should not be the LET dumping ground. Hopefully things will change in the future but if this continues to be ColoCrossing territory then there will be a 125x125 ad spot available soon (not that it will have any impact since there are so many companies lined up to order one, but it doesn't seem fair that ColoCrossing benefit so much from this site while I have to pay for a fraction of the ad space they get for free).

Google: colocrossing site:vpsboard.com

About 494 results

Google: colocrossing site:lowendtalk.com

About 921 results

TheLinuxBug

The CC shit defiantly got old a long time ago.  Though the main drama drive to vpsBoard has been CC shit, so its no surprise it has been let go this long.  It is about time for bufalooed to find a new home for his drama machine, or at least tone it down as this isn't a conspiracy site.  While some of the information is useful, I must admit, most of the new stuff has been a snooze and not so interesting. 

While I find the advertisements here to be a bitter taste in my mouth to begin with per the original promises made when this community began, having a provider that participates here and believes in the site enough to put their name on it is appreciated.  I will agree that this type of stuff needs to be refined a bit if we indeed intend to call this a community.  Community is about positive outlook and positive communication, not bashing people.  Sure, CCs misdeeds did bring people here, and sure it was of importance originally to those who were uninformed in the community, but at this point it is starting to backfire and just provide more promotion to them and makes it hard to be a community.

Hopefully we can find a happy medium or at least move the tar and feathers to a hidden forum that isn't constantly being spammed to the top of new content page.

Cheers!

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Feel free to start topics that aren't about them.  Notice I don't use their name this time.

I am a bit freezer on the ad part.  It's part of why the entire who you work for, who you take money from, what are the background agendas are so concerning - not you --- but anyone operating one of these sites.  Plus all the background friendships, don't pick on whoever, blah blah.  Seems like a strong arm tactic.... Do what I say or I take your dollars away.

I am sure you mean well and you of all people know what happened on those other sites, the history, the deception.  It started out being non biased and don't pull anything or we call you out.  Now look.

Hey, I am that person that calls them out.  Blame me.   I say let's ban me :)

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I have a recommendation, and I brought it up before, eons ago.

BAN all CC offers and CC hosts.

Problem solved.  As long as we have an open forum, with them offering through shell co's and being the end beneficiary, I take it I will be here in some manner bantering about them.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I have nothing against offers from CC or hosting that use CC. I have everything against all of the threads revolving around CC that do not add anything to vpsBoard. If all of the CC-related threads were in the Offers/Requests areas I would be happy, but instead we have tons of "Industry News" to inform us of the staff there or the way their network is setup.

Seriously, I know the whole goal is to bash CC and spread negative information but when you make one company the most discussed company on a website it doesn't hurt them at all. I know people don't believe the saying "there's no such thing as bad publicity", but it's true. When you get people talking then people start to embed that company into their brains whether they want to or not.

So yes, every negative thread about about CC is an advertisement for CC whether you want it to be or not.

The only saving grace for me is that I can still visit WHT where they don't have CC reporters giving me the latest scoop on a company I have no interest in.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
So we should have a posting standards board now? (not entirely horrible, it's just time cycles from humans)  Threads must "add something" to vpsBoard.  More standards documents and moderation, again not a horrible idea.

We can't quarantine my CC posts in offers because the nature of them isn't offers.  There were two I plugged in news, that the moderators can freely move to Off Topic, no objection to that. 

On those I get your gripe, your own News post got bumped downward.  

The Iranian hosting being illegal in the United States, well that's news, even if you don't like the host brought into it.   I can gladly go digging for same behavior on other ASN's if you think that would be more fair and balanced approach.

Major point there to make you/others happy would be for that Industry News not to be per se for companies like you that participate, but that for the general larger industry, while another Provider News section maybe nested under the VPS groupings.

The approach of ignore them and do not utter there name will not correct the situation.  If susceptible minds buy on name recognition which should be equated to equine manure at this point, then the shit for brains deserve the situation they contract into.

I can report on your company too.   Start breaking rules, drop your morals and ethics.   No thing such as bad publicity right?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
See, I'm conflicted here.

This site was made to be relatively censor free and lax in moderation.While some of these CC posts share no new information to me, perhaps they do for someone else. I've not seen anything on here that I would consider an 'advertisement' for them, as I do not subscribe to the theory that all bad press is good press.

I'm not a huge fan of all these posts as they call things like this into question, and it always puts me in a tough spot. Do I censor these threads? Do I lock them? What do I do? Do I ban someone for simply posting some thoughts / opinions and/or their research? What's a Mann to do here?

I don't like being in this position, and ideally, there would be a much higher ratio of other content that isn't CC/CVPS/Whatever bashing and a higher percentage of great tutorials, VPS reviews, and just overall general VPS related discussion.

I welcome anyone who's not a fan of this content to help vpsBoard remain a quality place by simply responding to threads that do interest you, ignoring those that do not, and creating great threads and discussion of your own.

I'll read through this thread now and touch-base on individual responses.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Hopefully we can find a happy medium or at least move the tar and feathers to a hidden forum that isn't constantly being spammed to the top of new content page.
This might be able to be done, but it messes up too much other stuff. For example, if I made this content hidden in The Pub / Off Topic Discussion, it will not display in the 'View New Content' tab but I believe it will also be hidden from forum search results. IPB is wonky like that. I'll look more into it.

I have a recommendation, and I brought it up before, eons ago.

BAN all CC offers and CC hosts.

Problem solved.  As long as we have an open forum, with them offering through shell co's and being the end beneficiary, I take it I will be here in some manner bantering about them.
No, that won't happen. Lot of legitimate and honest folk using them too. People posting VPS offers are required to list their actually physical datacenter location of their machines as well as the actual datacenter used. So for those who don't wish to use CC, they don't have to. (Unless they get tricked because someone said Quadranet instead of CC or something)

Let's implement a filter that changes ColoCrossing to Voldemort and call it a day.
Haha, nah.

Echelon

Verified Provider
I agree that the CC-centric posts on a daily basis are starting to really drive me up a wall, but on the same tone I'd really hate to see censorship start to flourish yet again. Honestly, it's one of those cases where I'd seriously hope users would simply take consideration to what they're posting before they post it. There's so many other things you can touch on that would be beneficial to the community, and CC isn't the only one.

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
There is an alternative here which I think the vast majority of people would appreciate;

buffallooed - tone it down :)

Everyone loves a bit of gossip and a bash and, if we're all being honest, this community grow exponentially because of just that. All the crap revolving around CC/LET/LEB/CVPS generated so much ill feeling that people wanted to find a new home. Now while we can't lose sight of what created the community, we can't continue to look back on the past - it doesn't work. We need to work on building the community as a whole (not just one little niche) and concentrate on what makes it good.We have a large number of skilled, experienced and knowledgeable members who have already contributed greatly with their help, comments and tutorials. Why don't we spend a little more time being a community rather than a playground?

Buffalooed, I appreciate what you're doing and to a degree, I can understand why but I think it's time you toned things down a little. Perhaps just have the 1 thread where you post up all the information you've managed to dig up. That way you get something out of the community (sharing information you believe should be public) and the others can pick and chose if they want to read it. Meanwhile, the rest of the community gets to sit round the camp fire playing their guitars, singing kumbya and having a good old laugh at whatever Fran has managed to 'Fran' that particular week.

:)

wlanboy

Content Contributer
There are days where I see a page full of rant threads and I just close the tab.

I see some displaced members too. Not willing to the read the same complains again and again.

Maybe merging all that threads to one "ohh they are sooooooo bad" thread would help.

• Limiting the number of cc threads
  • A playground for buffalooed

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I don't have an issue with a concentrated thread. Actually started one for that purpose and as I recall back then people complained.

Best way to do things is by leading.  Feel free.  Get to posting.

AnthonySmith

Verified Provider
Well the last time I got completely sick of the exact thing KuJoe is talking about I was made to feel like I should just stfu and not read them if I don't like it, when I dared to challenge that I was made to feel like I would get dragged in to the mind of a conspiracy nut case too further backed up by one of the mods questioning the legitimacy of my own offers.

So yeah I am with KuJoe, they get toned down or 2 x 125x125 ad spot will be available, I like the community but it its turning savage, its great to have an anti censorship community in theory in reality a few nut cases can ruin it when the obsessions take over and it seems a lot of the crap on LEB/LET that annoyed people is actually gone for the most part... coincidence? even big tim is back :)

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Feel free to challenge whatever and feel free not to read whatever.   Unsure why folks like you don't have an ignore filter on your eyeballs.    You can't stay out of the threads, you have to come chugging along, backing traffic up at the traffic accident.

This isn't preschool and it isn't mob rule either.  If I hurt your feelings and someone else did, tough, it isn't personal.  No harm meant.

As far as the ad spots and the money = extra pull, you can put me down for Anthony's 125x125 if he's not renewing it.  

nunim

VPS Junkie
.. So yeah I am with KuJoe, they get toned down or 2 x 125x125 ad spot will be available, I like the community but it its turning savage, its great to have an anti censorship community in theory in reality a few nut cases can ruin it when the obsessions take over and it seems a lot of the crap on LEB/LET that annoyed people is actually gone for the most part... coincidence? even big tim is back :)
While I support this idea, did you really just threaten to pull your ads? lolz.

Honestly this place could do with a bit less ads, I'm all for it being self supporting but the level of ads on here right now are way beyond that and eventually if it grows into something bigger we'll be right back where we started with LET. 

I'd like to buy a banner that says "LEAVE COLOCROSSING ALONE!"  that links to the YouTube video. I also like the idea of ColoCrossing IPv6, LOLWUT??

There's a line between mass censorship and effective moderation, the level of stupid has increased dramatically recently and I definitely  support a heavy hand of moderation against stupid and pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
amuck-landowner