amuck-landowner

Colocrossing / ChicagoVPS / Lowendtalk / Lowendbox the dump

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Can anyone briefly explain why we should hate CC? 
Don't hate the company based on the words of others.  But be VERY well aware of some of the shady practices from some of their employees that have come to light, and decide for yourself whether their actions are sufficient to blunt your trust.

SkylarM

Verified Provider
Unfortunate to see it go down, regardless of what happened a community is a community. Gotta get dat dose of dramaz somehow. Pretty amusing though "WE GOT HACKED, don't worry we fixed it. Just kidding we got hacked again - WE FIXED IT FOR REAL THIS TIME. Just kidding"

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
This was posted on WHT.  Interesting due to the time of events with ownership of LET/LEB:

http://www.webhostingchat.com/forum/...ps-host-3.html

04-11-2012, 03:21 AM #24 jbiloh 
One provider that is making a big splash recently is ChicagoVPS with their $7/month 2GB VPS. The folks over at lowendbox have really been going crazy over that offer. Their website is ChicagoVPS.net | Chicago Based VPS and Dedicated Servers if you want to look at it yourself.

4-11-2012, just a few weeks after Lowendbox and Lowendtalk were attacked. Along with WHT being put offline over a week period.

What happened? First week of March attacks on those sites. Linode didn't want to deal with the bad traffic and sent the Lowend sites packing. 

Colocrossing ended up hosting and/or buying the Lowend sites as of March 2012.

So we have Biloh saying, my buddy has a VPS company and this little site I own called Lowendbox.

Funny.

Not so funny when a few hours later on another site we have:

http://webhostingforum.com/vps-forum...up-server.html

04-11-2012, 06:51 AM

I think you're on the right track when it comes to considering a VPS -- they are inexpensive and will suit your needs well. I would suggest you look at www.chicagovps.net or www.buffalovps.com, both have packages which will fit your requirements.

Additionally you could look at low end box for other cheap offerings. 

Good luck in your search 

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Thank yous won't buy Biloh another Mercedes, but ad money will.

It's umm, how would you say?  Ironic?  That Colocrossing dragged their feet for over a year to put a Thank You button back.  Ungratefuls..  You should have asked for a Hate You button instead.

Kris

Can anyone briefly explain why we should hate CC?
Terrible Network.

Buffalo went from Level3 (Tier 1) single-homed, while Jon called Cogent "goent" - only to later drop Level3 from the mix (but probably had ol G. Monk Stanley) keep it on the route table, with less than 2% of traffic.

Routes that go from the middle of the US -> San Jose -> Buffalo. 105 MS from Colorado -> Buffalo. Under 60 MS to every other DC in the tri-state area.

Saturated uplinks / switches. I literally watched them turn up XO one day when I was complaining about the over-saturated bandwidth. Ol Jonny Boy said there wasn't any issue, but an hour later routes magically went over a new XO path.

That was the 1 week issue which was blamed on "dust in the uplink" - Until I had to go back and forth 15 times would they only check it without charging remote hands fees.  No Jon, it was due to you over-selling your return path over as you say 'Gogent' - As soon as XO magically was announced, took separate paths, and was able to push more than 20 KB/s.

I can go on about hardware issues - which ensued in CC only offering to do memtests during the day, or techs who simply lied about '3-5 hour RAM tests'

If you want a bunch of kids in a day-care managing your servers without the real names of who owns the company / operates it (G Monk / Gary Gibson) CC is your choice!

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Lowendtalk now is an advertisement for Nginx and the ability to withstand bad traffic.

403'ing still.

shovenose

Verified Provider
I am now in the process of a PayPal dispute with ChicagoVPS/NewWaveNetconnectLLC because they did not provide the service I paid for. So now I hate them too!

SeriesN

Verified Provider
I am now in the process of a PayPal dispute with ChicagoVPS/NewWaveNetconnectLLC because they did not provide the service I paid for. So now I hate them too!
But you kept saying "They are great, they are good, I love them, blah blah" for both CC and CVps? What happened to it? All the love turned into hate in a matter of second? What is this? Middleschool love at first sight?

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Ha!  During the entire time this happened you constantly argued with the rest of us about how you loved CVPS.  Now you suddenly change your mind?  Someone's obviously going with the popular vote here.  

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner