amuck-landowner

Do you guys use FraudRecord or similar blacklists?

NodeWest-Dan

Fraud record does show who reported what. Often shows company name. We then have to research what to trust. We don't trust everything in there. We make our own call at the end of the day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KuJoe

Verified Provider
If a provider puts 100% faith into FraudRecord without applying common sense then you wouldn't want to be a client of theirs IMO.

As for the privacy concerns, it's completely safe since the only way to pull client info is to submit the client info first so people can't just pull random people.

ryguy222

We use it as well, and typically only report customers that spam/botnet/other illegal stuffs. 

If someone has 1 or 2 reports, they may or may not be a threat. Depends on who posted it. But like in that sample with 8 or 9 reports, thats usually a dead giveaway. 

It would be nice if the fraudrecord module could hold orders if they have a record, and require manual review, rather than manually check customers. A good key part of fraud protection is to deny their order, and not take their payment. Once you take a payment your susceptible to charge-backs etc. 

Last edited by a moderator:

iWF-Jacob

Verified Provider
We certainly use FR, but it's not the only tool in our toolbox. We actively report people on it to build up the community, but don't heavily rely on it.

S4S-UK

We use FraudRecord its help us a lot, highly recommend FR or any thing else in this type of business.

HostSailor

Verified Provider
A great tool to add to our toolbox! besides that maxmind, and ofcourse using your experience with fraudulent orders will help a lot.

Lee

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
I went through all the issues with this software on WHT a while back, in particular that it does not meet data privacy rules within the EU so no provider in the EU should be using it.  Any provider that is using it must have it in their ToS, most don't.  And there is still no robust process for having details removed that are incorrect, it's purely based on a "we will see what we can do", but no clear policy.

It may well be good and help identify real abusers however it's too easy for providers to "take the huff" with clients and report them.  Then it becomes a "he said, she said" battle to be removed.

Nice idea, technically decent but lacks any real business acumen in it's execution.

sean

We've finally added it to our systems but there is one thing I cannot get my head around: hashed addresses!

As you know, you send over hashed data which is used to search their database. Before you hash, you remove all spaces and lowercase everything.

However, I can't imagine everybody is producing addresses in the same way before hashing them. For example, I am currently doing the following:

• full address
  • full address minus commas
  • street + post code
  • street + post code minus commas
An address will typically include some of the following data:

• First line of address
  • Second line of address
  • Town / City
  • State / County
  • Zip / Postal code
  • Country
Unfortunately, each system may concatenate these in a different order, they may miss some fields out completely, they may have slightly different data from a hard-coded set (e.g. "United Kingdom" vs "Great Britain" or "CA" versus "California").

Is there some sort of standard I should be using that I'm not aware of?

HostNIT

Verified Provider
This project has been very helpful in stopping spammers. Granted it's not A 100% effective, but it really helps. I would most definitely recommend this,.

amuck-landowner