amuck-landowner

Favorite OS for your VPSes?

Mike

Verified Provider
CentOS for anything server related.  Used it for over 12 years so just seems right to continue using it.

For home I use Windows.  Only reason I use Windows is because I tend to game a lot.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
On VPS? May I know why you prefer this distro?
I typically use Debian for my VPSes.  I did have Gentoo on one for awhile.. but ended up moving it to Deb as well (I prefer being able to update/patch/issue commands/etc to all of my stuff at once).  I do use Gentoo on a couple of home machines - originally tried it out for the 'challenge' perceived from its reputation;  and started to thoroughly enjoy working with it.  There's also that nice smug feeling when some of my "linux user" (read: Ubuntu) friends sit at my workstation to do something, and are thoroughly lost.  :D

sDsB

This topic would be even better if people stated why they prefer a certain distro.

I run Debian, cause... well I really have no good reason (d'oh). I started off with Ubuntu and ran into some crap I couldn't resolve, switched to Debian and never really looked at anything else again, it just works.

Abdussamad

I used to use CentOS. Then I read on LET that Debian used less RAM out of the box so I looked into that. Now I use Debian on my server and OpenSUSE at home.

ihatetonyy

CentOS. I learned the basics with Debian/Ubuntu, but helped my friend beat things into working order or do other stuff on his cPanel server, and so got used to CentOS.

It works well. yum misbehaves on little RAM, and low RAM VPSes are the only ones I'll use Debian on.

(Plus, building RPMs is way easier than building debs, IMO.)

concerto49

Verified Provider
So it's more or less like a virtualization type OS?
It is an actual OS made especially for "Cloud". It is used as the hypervisor. Provides zones (which is same as OpenVZ but since it's Solaris-like, it only support Solaris) and KVM. So you can run KVM on SmartOS. We delayed our KVM on CentOS products to take a look at this instead.

wilbo

CentOS, I have just always used Redhat variants.  No reason, it's just what I'm used to.

amuck-landowner