amuck-landowner

Favourite Web-dev IDE?

WebSearchingPro

VPS Peddler
Verified Provider
I agree, I'd rather keep the code on my machines. I also don't like working from within the browser.
Would be nice to have a self hosted IDE that we could have on our own VPS, now that I wouldnt have so much a problem with but just randomly giving out code to some company on the internet thats offering a free service - I think not.

Sublime Text gets even better when you start using plugins such as Emmet (http://emmet.io/)

WebSearchingPro

VPS Peddler
Verified Provider
Though to be fair c9.io is open source, however they have not packaged it nicely, they just dump all their code in a github repo when they feel like it, likely missing features and having large amounts of bugs.

zim

The Invader
Verified Provider
been trying sublime for a few days and it is a pretty awesome IDE

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
Ew, web-ide's -,-

Good IDE:

Sublime Text 2, 3

Horrible IDE:

Everything else

Sublime pictures(text 2 - file: CVE vulnerability for plesk panel - linux local mysql backup):

51851db722a5c75ce9793c950091a508.png
So you want to make dead certain that you run date from the canonical location, but not cat?  mysql and mysqldump can run from wherever they are in your path?  And why expose the MySQL password in the process table?  Code review failure!

I tease...I tease because I love.

But anyway...other than cost, what features does Sublime have that Notepad++ doesn't have?

Regardless...vi on a Unix box is light years faster than any GUI app, because it can invoke any of the Unix text processing tools (sed, awk, cut, paste, join, scripts you write, etc.) and have them process the text you're working on.  The only competition is emacs, which is the ultimate tool.  

There are good reasons to use an IDE for large complex development projects.

amuck-landowner