amuck-landowner

Favourite Web-dev IDE?

Jono20201

Verified Provider
Hey,

I'm looking for alternative IDE to use. I love Coda on my Mac but unfortunately most of my time I am developing on my custom built Windows machine, so I am unable to use it. I've tried Dreamweaver and Komodo Edit, but don't feel like I have found the ultimate IDE. Notepad and Notepad++ are a little too bare for my liking.

What do you use?

WebSearchingPro

VPS Peddler
Verified Provider
https://koding.com/ looked rather interesting - neat features but still in development

http://c9.io would be in the same class as koding for a web-based IDE

I have been using Sublime Text 3 and it is wonderfully simple as well as light enough to be an everyday text editor. Aptana studio 3 is okay too, but its just too heavy for me. Likewise with Dreamweaver.

Lucashayes

I cringe at the words IDE and web development being used in the same sentence.

Sublime 2/3 with Package Control and a good number of helpful plugins should be all you need.

Source: I'm an actual web developer with a career in web development. Not a freelancer or weekend warrior.

Wintereise

Webstorm is great if all you're trying to do is basic webdev, nothing backend.

It's by Jetbrains s.r.o, but sadly is not free.

Sublime Text 3 is what I'd recommend if Jetbrains' IDEs aren't your cup of tea.

Last edited by a moderator:

RiotSecurity

Ew, web-ide's -,-

Good IDE:

Sublime Text 2, 3

Horrible IDE:

Everything else

Sublime pictures(text 2 - file: CVE vulnerability for plesk panel - linux local mysql backup):

51851db722a5c75ce9793c950091a508.png

WebSearchingPro

VPS Peddler
Verified Provider
Light Table is pretty interesting.
Looks pretty neat, rather similar in appearance to Sublime Text - with the preview area on the side. I'll have to keep this on my watch list.

Edit: After further inspection it looks rather neat to be honest - I'll probably get a copy of it if its cheaper than Sublime Text. I estimate it'll be ~$50 once its released.

Lee

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
Sublime is great, light, easy and straightforward to use.  I hate all the bloat of other IDE's

amuck-landowner