amuck-landowner

Flash Finally Dead? Blame HackingTeam.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Facebook security chief tweeted the other day:

Alex Stamos@alexstamos

It is time for Adobe to announce the end-of-life date for Flash and to ask the browsers to set killbits on the same day.

Then a fellow over at Firefox dropped a boot on Flash

Mark Schmidt

@MarkSchmidty

BIG NEWS!! All versions of Flash are blocked by default in Firefox as of now. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/blocked/p946  #tech #infosec
CJ13dmHVAAAdYeH.jpg

And.... Why?

Cause our "friends" at HackingTeam were using TWO exploits in Flash to hack folks. (see: )

Last edited by a moderator:

HBAndrei

Verified Provider
It's about time this security hole (Flash) to get buried once and for all... it's funny remembering back when apple didn't want to support it on their idevices and everyone was all up in their faces asking why this and why that.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I wish Microsoft's Silverlight was available on Linux, in terms of streaming content it is leaps and bounds better.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
And.... Why?

Cause our "friends" at HackingTeam were using TWO exploits in Flash to hack folks.
imho there were likely 'more reasons' than that for abandoning Flash, i.e.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
This would explain why half the damn sites are giving me Adobe Flash Plugin errors in Iceweasel.

Why does the PayPal login page even use Flash? I've not seen it. Same with other random sites (GMX mail, for example).

Oh well.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
This would explain why half the damn sites are giving me Adobe Flash Plugin errors in Iceweasel.

Why does the PayPal login page even use Flash? I've not seen it. Same with other random sites (GMX mail, for example).

Oh well.
Ads or real functionality?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Ads or real functionality?
No idea. I can't really see any difference in these pages. I just paid a SecureDragon invoice and the PayPal gateway prompted the browser warning, and earlier when I signed into a GMX email address of mine (webmail) the warning also displayed.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
our "friends" at HackingTeam were using TWO exploits in Flash to hack folks.
I noticed @drmike says 'folks' a lot, then I involuntarily re-read the above to myself in the casual tone of Obama saying "we tortured some folks"—well, more like the soundbite echoed 'in my head' without my ability to control its emergence—that's about it

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I noticed @drmike says 'folks' a lot, then I involuntarily re-read the above to myself in the casual tone of Obama saying "we tortured some folks"—well, more like the soundbite echoed 'in my head' without my ability to control its emergence—that's about it
Hahaha that's my schtick for this persona.  Demoting folks usage for a bit, intentionally.   Sorry that word banged around in the old gray matter. 

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
Surely convincing X% of their listeners to stop using Firefox was part of the plan.

amuck-landowner