amuck-landowner

Forum downtime / maintenance RFO

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Forum was down for several hours while Martin and I got everything sorted. In short, we had to restore a DB from about 5AM EST, I put the site in matineance mode around 6AM(ish) so it was a slow period, not many (if any) posts were lost.

Chat log from IRC because I am tired:

11:40 <@Manndude> Well here is the series of events

11:40 <@Manndude> Saturday night, MannDude had some beers

11:40 <@Manndude> NOT A LOT

11:40 <+TheHackBoxPie> oh crap

11:40 <+TheHackBoxPie> he franned it

11:41 <@Manndude> The post stats in the backend were broke. They were displaying the wrong numbers for the days. It was saying that prior to the 18th the forum was getting liek 40 posts a day. The 18th we had 777 posts exactly, I remember because it was 777

11:41 <@Manndude> Soooo

11:41 <@Manndude> I do a DB dump, and THEN run the optimize tables tool

11:41 <@Manndude> Things were faster, but I noticed some threads were archived that should not have been

11:42 <@Manndude> So I tried to fix that

11:42 <@Manndude> By turning off archiving and setting it to UNarchive anything

less than 365 days old (everything)

11:42 <@Manndude> then I noticed the CVPS thread went from 700+ posts to 350 something

11:42 <@Manndude> So locked her down

11:42 <@Manndude> Said 'nuh uh, not today'

11:42 <@Manndude> And started drinkign coffee

11:43 <@Manndude> But the DB dump was too big for PMA which is my only point of access to the remote server and doing it via SSH took a long time

11:43 <@Manndude> plus there was an hour or two trying to figure out how to proceed without doing a DB restore

11:44 <@Manndude> That's the RFO

As of now, 11:50 GMT-5, the board is currently unarchiving threads and will be doing so for some time.
Screenshot - 06232013 - 11:59:14 AM.png

That is the screenshot of the post stats now. That is completely wrong and much lower than what it should be. The 18th we had exactly 777 posts.

I believe this has to do with all the thread archiving. I enabled archiving but didn't specify the proper settings, thus damn near everything archived. I goofed, it was my fault. I'm paying the price for it now at noon with no sleep. Everything should be unarchiving now.

The way this works is there is a scheduler that runs on it's own unknown (to me) interval that does this in bulk, 250 at a time. It looks like it took quite some time for everything to archive, so I suspect it'll take quite some time for everything to UNarchive.

That's the RFO for now.

acd

Thanks, manndude. I hope it doesn't take too much longer to sort out so you can get some sleep; I hear you're still on an all-nighter.

best regards,

-tw

upsetcvps

lots of posts from cvps thread were lost :(  It was a very long thread so it may be related to thread length?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
lots of posts from cvps thread were lost :(  It was a very long thread so it may be related to thread length?
IDK. When the thread was archived, all the posts were there. The info is in the DB, no data was lost. Then it finally 'UNarchived', making it available, and half the posts are gone.

I locked the site down and restored from an earlier backup due to this. I as under the impression this happened due to running a tool to optimize the tables which had never been ran, so before I did that I created a backup. Shortly after I noticed the thread was messed up so locked the forum down to restore. The archiving is my fault, started it with bad settings and didn't realize it'd fuckin' go and archive active threads. It's set to archive only things that not been responded to in a year now, which nothing should be archived by that rule.

Not sure what to do, I'm tired, haven't slept in 24 hours now. The info is in the DB as the posts restored properly but then was removed from view when the thread UNarchived. IDK.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Yeah, lots of posts no appearing in public.

How you are able to get it figured out and documented for long term sanity.

bizzard

I use the New Content link all the time to catch up with what's going on hera, and with the mainatainance, the content from my last visit is reset. Hope these won't be happening frequently.

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
None of the posts have been lost so don't worry. It's just IPB and its archive feature that appears to have 'removed' them from thread visibility.

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
Well, that appears to be the problem. It's a bit stupid I agree.

Jack

I noticed the post thing, started reading the CVPS thread at 6AM then got to page 26 of 37 or something came back at 1PM and it was like page 13 of 13 I was like OK? 

Gallaeaho

Verified Provider
Going to assume that the events of moments ago were the fault of someone attempting to learn SQL. :p

amuck-landowner