amuck-landowner

FYI: Planned vpsBoard maintenance will be occuring later this evening.

Mid

Possible to set the time gap after which the next post isn't merged with previous post? I have waited a while for it to be not merged, but it got merged with my previous post.

The same ads could be repeated and the advertisers could only feel happy about it. And currently you are not having one near the editor and I think you are missing on that (I am not any experienced BTW, just a thought).

libro22

I'm not backtracking so forgive me if this has been posted earlier..

the header ad's length is ruining the responsive design in mobiles -- specifically, it hides the navigation until you zoom out and look for it.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Understood. With most changes it will take time. People complained about the WHT upgrade/change but after a few days of using the site you forget what the old one was like.

I'm about to go see WTF is going on with my IPB ticket that I sent Wednesday... Too much delay for support for a paid product.

clarity

Can you set a max-width on the theme? I am running a pretty high resolution, and the 100% width makes the site hard to use.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Yep, I am aware. Still waiting on IPB to pretend like they want me as a customer. Submitted ticket on Wednesday about the issues that occurred after the upgrade. Very pissed off.

Special characters should have never been broken. During the upgrade process I was forced to convert the DB to UTF-8, and during the process I had the option of keeping special characters at the expense of a larger DB or replacing them. I chose the first option to keep them. And yet, shit still broke.

It's on the list of things that I sent them.

Very let down. 

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
One of the most frustrating parts is that we were promised our problems and our concerns will be addresses by upgrading from the 3.x to the 4.x version.  

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I'll chime back in and say the update is an improvement from my end.

Probably due another thread or something to track other missing parts (think some folks aren't seeing same usage / functionality they were use to).

I remain entirely DISGUSTED by IPb's lack of responsiveness with all the issues that support should be fielding.   Bunch of broken stuff in their software.  

joepie91

I'll chime back in and say the update is an improvement from my end.

Probably due another thread or something to track other missing parts (think some folks aren't seeing same usage / functionality they were use to).

I remain entirely DISGUSTED by IPb's lack of responsiveness with all the issues that support should be fielding.   Bunch of broken stuff in their software.  

I honestly can't say that I'm surprised. IPB doesn't exactly have a reputation for following up on bug reports and such, and it hasn't had such a reputation for years.

Mid

Why pay and suffer?

Use opensource like FluxBB (they are probably moving to Flarum http://flarum.org/ with next version). You could see it ( http://demo.flarum.org ) now and possibly use it with a new site (A dediboard?)  ;-) 

I just clicked on a 60+ posts thread and it shows all the posts on the same page, its good, no 'next/prev page' links and URL changes on the address bar while scrolling down.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Why pay and suffer?

Use opensource like FluxBB (they are probably moving to Flarum http://flarum.org/ with next version). You could see it ( http://demo.flarum.org ) now and possibly use it with a new site (A dediboard?)  ;-) 

I just clicked on a 60+ posts thread and it shows all the posts on the same page, its good, no 'next/prev page' links and URL changes on the address bar while scrolling down.

Haven't tried it but Flarum seems rather JS heavy.  Unsure of the experience where JS disabled.... 

The same page URL stuff is concerning.   Search engines pretend to deal with it, but less than optimal.

Other than that, I am 100% agreeing on the open options vs. this dinosaur company behind IPB.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Why pay and suffer?

While It'd be great in an idealistic way, (and I hate to say this since they're not being helpful at all right now), the purpose of using a proprietary forum software is that it comes with support.  There's someone we can talk to and actually get to fix these problems.  Now obviously it's not working right now, but this is in theory why we use softare like this.  Also similar reason why some Enterprise companies prefer VMWare over KVM or OpenVZ.  VMWare have support staff available to fix problems whenever they happen.  

Some of the big Open Source project do have people available for these, but most of the open-source forum softwares don't really offer this level of support (and a common attitude you receive is "just play with it" or "mess with it" and sometimes like we've seen with Sentora, "you shouldn't be complaining because it's free..  in fact you should be contributing because you're using our work").  It's just much easier for a company/organization to put the responsibility of support to an external organization that's much more knowledgable.  In addition, our job and goal here is to focus on a cool community, not having to worry every other day about what will break on the back-end.  With open source solutions, there's no easy way of getting this taken care of without a major time investment whenever something breaks.  

So you want to know the actual definition of "Enterprise-Level Support" or just anything "Enterprise Level"?  It's this.  Not some person who knows how to install OpenVZ via a script and has their baby sister or some rando do their work for them by paying them pennies.  Now if IPB Staff would get on the ball with this problem :)

Last edited by a moderator:

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
An update, finally: They are looking into the link issue now.

We were not the only one with this problem.

HBAndrei

Verified Provider
One thing I noticed, and please allow me to apologize in advance if this was mentioned before, the board keeps refreshing in the background, while I'm on other tabs... I don't think it was doing this before the upgrade and I don't think it should be doing this because of a list of reasons, out of which most importantly the fact that it generates ad impressions which aren't really impressions.

HBAndrei

Verified Provider
Sorry for the double post, but I just noticed something else... and again sorry if it was mentioned before.

There should be a space here:

keRj6Al.png

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Another loose end for IPB:

You and likes this

Be first to thank someone and you get that fubared English.....

HBAndrei

Verified Provider
Also, any way to remove this annoying format when posting? It rarely works and it's only annoying me more and more rather than helping, I always liked raw BB or html code much better when posting.

qps

Verified Provider
It seems that hyperlinks aren't working in posts or in signatures.  The hyperlink links back to the post instead of the intended location.

amuck-landowner