amuck-landowner

Good resources for learning PHP?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
My PHP skillset is heavily lacking. What's a good modern resource for producing clean and standard code?

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I use the Google.

Full Disclosure: I am not a PHP developer.

P.S. - VPSM is sitting at 1301 lines of code (PHP) right now. :)

Novacha

Content Contributer
I use the Google.

Full Disclosure: I am not a PHP developer.

P.S. - VPSM is sitting at 1301 lines of code (PHP) right now. :)
Speaking of which, when will you be pushing that to Github. I wouldn't mind looking through it, and maybe even objectifying it. 

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
Learn by doing. Think of a project and do it..use Google and go from there :)

Tyler.S

Verified Provider
Learn by doing. Think of a project and do it..use Google and go from there :)
There is NO better way, even schooling teaches this way. There is some fundamental courses offered by Udacity (free online college).

bizzard

Search Engines + PHP.net Manuals + Stackoverflow. That's my combination for PHP. And yes, learn by doing something is the best way.

Lee

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
See I disagree with the school of "just decide on a project and Google"

That might be okay if you have an understanding of PHP however if you are very new to it then how do you know what to google and then whether it's good or right.

Personally I would go for a good project book, not a long winded one, but one that get's you right into the coding and build something you can then related what you are learning to and use a reference later.  Granted there is no perfect text that will cover everything but you can at last get a good foundation to then build on.

Sitepoint has a good resource http://www.sitepoint.com/php/ and also a nice intro book for using php and mysql over here http://www.sitepoint.com/store/php-mysql-novice-to-ninja/

In my view that is going to get you started both quicker and more efficiently to allow you to then move on and develop your apps.

There has been a lot of things happen lately due to poorly coded software/apps involving php so it's a good move to get the fundamentals right.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
See I disagree with the school of "just decide on a project and Google"

That might be okay if you have an understanding of PHP however if you are very new to it then how do you know what to google and then whether it's good or right.
Thank you. I share the same opinion really, as everything I've worked on so far is more 'cut and paste' programming than it is me actually having a solid grasp and understanding of PHP.

VPSCorey

Verified Provider
+1 code academy and a good PHP book.  Php hacks for servers is also a good book or was that python lol.

Abdussamad

Thank you. I share the same opinion really, as everything I've worked on so far is more 'cut and paste' programming than it is me actually having a solid grasp and understanding of PHP.
In that case start with code academy. They get you right in the action. You have to do exercises straight away and it's completely interactive.

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
I read one of the O'Reilly Head First books and liked it.  I can't say I've read the PHP one, but I like their overall approach.

amuck-landowner