amuck-landowner

Google plus is now part of google mail

peterw

Google tries hard to get google plus everywhere. Now they put google mail into play: http://gmailblog.blogspot.de/2014/01/reach-people-you-know-more-easily.html

Have you ever started typing an email to someone only to realize halfway through
the draft that you haven't actually exchanged email addresses?
If you are nodding your head 'yes' and already have a Google+ profile, then you’re in luck,
because now it's easier for people using Gmail and Google+ to connect over email.
As an extension of some earlier improvements that keep Gmail contacts automatically
up to date using Google+, Gmail will suggest your Google+ connections as recipients
when you are composing a new email.

My answer is NO. I do not start writing an email to someone I don't know. And I do not try to phone someone whos phone number I am not knowing.

I use g+ as a feed reader for some .NET gurus. I don't want that everyone can send me emails because I am following the feeds.

Next bullshit:

Have you ever wondered why Gmail asks you before showing images in emails?
We did this to protect you from unknown senders who might try to use images to
compromise the security of your computer or mobile device.

But thanks to new improvements in how Gmail handles images, you’ll soon see all
images displayed in your messages automatically across desktop, iOS and Android.
Instead of serving images directly from their original external host servers,
Gmail will now serve all images through Google’s own secure proxy servers.

Time to get rid of googlemail.

SrsX

Banned
Google tries hard to get google plus everywhere. Now they put google mail into play: http://gmailblog.blogspot.de/2014/01/reach-people-you-know-more-easily.html

Have you ever started typing an email to someone only to realize halfway through
the draft that you haven't actually exchanged email addresses?
If you are nodding your head 'yes' and already have a Google+ profile, then you’re in luck,
because now it's easier for people using Gmail and Google+ to connect over email.
As an extension of some earlier improvements that keep Gmail contacts automatically
up to date using Google+, Gmail will suggest your Google+ connections as recipients
when you are composing a new email.

My answer is NO. I do not start writing an email to someone I don't know. And I do not try to phone someone whos phone number I am not knowing.

I use g+ as a feed reader for some .NET gurus. I don't want that everyone can send me emails because I am following the feeds.

Next bullshit:

Have you ever wondered why Gmail asks you before showing images in emails?
We did this to protect you from unknown senders who might try to use images to
compromise the security of your computer or mobile device.

But thanks to new improvements in how Gmail handles images, you’ll soon see all
images displayed in your messages automatically across desktop, iOS and Android.
Instead of serving images directly from their original external host servers,
Gmail will now serve all images through Google’s own secure proxy servers.

Time to get rid of googlemail.
"Google will not serve all images though Google's own secure proxy servers"

So does this mean now people can upload illegal images and Google will happily host them....?

Good luck Google.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nathan

Am I surprised? Nope.

I do wish more alternatives offered the same features as Google Mail, such as Two-Factor Authentication.

GIANT_CRAB

Are people still using tin foil hats made of aluminum?

Mine is made of lead.

Lead poisoning is a conspiracy to stop people from using lead as a tin foil hat material.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Even if you put aside Google's issues concerning privacy - why would you put stake in a product from a company with a proven track record of abandoning 'long term' projects?  g(Plus|Mail) is just eventually going to take the same route as Wave, RSS, etc.

Eased

Switched from Gmail about a year ago now and never looked back. Using my own hosted Zimbra mail server solution. In love with it. 

Google and the NSA can kiss my...

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Gmail is fatally f'd for me... I run normally with javascripple off.   So, as of a few weeks ago, logging into Gmail went to a Google Plus URL post login.  Since I block that and all other social media crap, well, blank screen.

Google is g'damn stupid with their social crap.  People want lives, not love affairs with machines and being ball gagged and bound to a machine 24/7 forever.  Use online to schedule offline.

So, now, I only check Gmail via IMAP client.

Noticed on a paid Gapps account I use on a lightly filtered box that they are showing ad crap there...  on a paid account.   I consider Google shameless these days.

Noticed one email account  tethered to a device (yeah I setup random created personas per account) is receiving Google / GPlay-Market emails multiple times per week... Must of had 40 emails from those tools in there.   Day I am totally free of the Gagglers will be a happy one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Magiobiwan

Insert Witty Statement Here
Verified Provider
Google is g'damn stupid with their social crap.  People want lives, not love affairs with machines and being ball gagged and bound to a machine 24/7 forever.  Use online to schedule offline.
I don't think the majority of people know what a life is, unless it's something you can grow in Farmville on Facebook. 

ThePrimeHost

Verified Provider
G+ was just too late to market in my opinion and not enough people are interested in adoption of it's services. FB owns the social media market just like google owns search engine market.

*Interesting Food for Thought* - What if googles does an unofficial penalizing of sites without a G+ business page? I'll take my tin-foil hat off now. ;)

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
*Interesting Food for Thought* - What if googles does an unofficial penalizing of sites without a G+ business page? I'll take my tin-foil hat off now. ;)
Google would never do that outright.  However,  it likely is already a rank signal for search rank.   Good luck proving such and even if you did the bastards have already argued in the Courts that algorithms are "free speech" under the First Amendment.  Meaning, no harm and no foul, even if they murder your business and defame you onto page 10 of results for your entirely unique business/name.

amuck-landowner