amuck-landowner

Gorack $25.50 1U Special

BlueVM

Verified Provider
On your 1U how long is setup typically (Assuming the server appeared in FL today)?

What's the difference between your budget and your premium bandwidth? I assume cogent vs L3 or something?

On your full rack with a 1 Gbps line what's the max power allowed at your facility?

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I hate to be a snob but I personally dislike their network blend.  I mean I'm not saying it's bad but only having nLayer, Level3, and tw...  

http://bgp.he.net/AS19844

Although I will admit for those prices, definitely not bad at all

Erm @BlueVM I don't think @earl works for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

earl

On your 1U how long is setup typically (Assuming the server appeared in FL today)?

What's the difference between your budget and your premium bandwidth? I assume cogent vs L3 or something?

On your full rack with a 1 Gbps line what's the max power allowed at your facility?
Hehe.. I'm not affiliated with gorack nor have I used their services.. I'm just posting what I thought seem to be a good deal for the folks looking to colo.. but if anyone who knows would like to chime in, that would be appreciated!

So far I think this must be one of the cheapest offer for a 1U..

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Gorack's network in the past year had issues especially getting to Time Warner's own network.  All while having TW as an upstream.

Unsure if they've resolved the issue, which was greatly variable latency with quite high latency at peak times.

qps

Verified Provider
Gorack's network in the past year had issues especially getting to Time Warner's own network.  All while having TW as an upstream.

Unsure if they've resolved the issue, which was greatly variable latency with quite high latency at peak times.
tw telecom is not the same company/network as Time Warner Cable.  They used to be related, but not for a long time.

SkylarM

Verified Provider
Sometimes "deals" like this are to good to be true. Is there data center good? Who knows?
We have our equipment in their facility. However it is on a separate network not part of theirs, so cannot comment on that part really.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
No IPv6 and an otherwise meh network. If I were looking for colo, I probably wouldn't go here, unless I needed super-cheap. You get what you pay for.

qps

Verified Provider
tw telecom just like Time Warner Cable is a weird company.

tw telecom was formed in 1993 between US West and Time Warner Communications.

Unrelated?  I guess, they had their own IPO party.

Peering shows:

http://bgp.he.net/AS4323#_peers

27 Time Warner Cable Internet LLC
us.gif

AS7843

On the flip side:

AS7843 Time Warner Cable Internet LLC 12 tw telecom holdings, inc.
us.gif

AS4323

Definitely appear to be peered.
Some of tw telecom's network is built on Time Warner Cable's fiber and other crazy stuff like that.  It wasn't really a "clean" split when they separated tw telecom from Time Warner Cable.

dnwk

tw telecom is not the same company/network as Time Warner Cable.  They used to be related, but not for a long time.
But when I was a Time Warner Cable user, 90% of their traffic go through TW Telecom. That's 2010

qps

Verified Provider
But when I was a Time Warner Cable user, 90% of their traffic go through TW Telecom. That's 2010
If you read above, this is Time Warner Cable's network: http://bgp.he.net/AS7843

I've only ever seen TW Telecom show up for routes destined for TW Telecom's network.  They don't use them for transit.

I've had Time Warner Cable for over 10 years and I've not seen much TW Telecom traffic in that time frame.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Did anybody see the date of that post... it's over a year old so I'm fairly certain this isn't one of those "too good to be true" deals and they will be around for some time. If I was still in Florida I would probably have a personal server or 2 with them since I've used them in the past and they are awesome.

06-10-13, 11:29 AM

danielm

GoRack has been around for a few years now and I've heard mostly good things about them and the facility. If we were looking for colocation in that geographic area, we would consider them, although likely run our own network.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
GoRack has been around for a few years now and I've heard mostly good things about them and the facility. If we were looking for colocation in that geographic area, we would consider them, although likely run our own network.
Since they are the only data center in the build (Federal Reserve of Atlanta) and it's a government facility I'm pretty sure there are extensive hoops to jump through to get any new upstreams in there.

Additionally, anybody who plans to drop off the server in person make sure you don't have any weapons or anything illegal in your car because their bomb sniffing dog is sharp and the officer searching the car is thorough. Also, pay no mind to the assault rifles the guards carry, the shotgun ports, the anti-personnel measures, the gunshots from a few floors up, or the millions of dollars in cash on display right after the man-traps.

Also make sure you don't have any outstanding warrants or you will be arrested before you get past security (this happened to a contract worker when they first moved in).

wlanboy

Content Contributer
Additionally, anybody who plans to drop off the server in person make sure you don't have any weapons or anything illegal in your car because their bomb sniffing dog is sharp and the officer searching the car is thorough. Also, pay no mind to the assault rifles the guards carry, the shotgun ports, the anti-personnel measures, the gunshots from a few floors up, or the millions of dollars in cash on display right after the man-traps.
Your joking?

All because it is a government facility?

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Your joking?

All because it is a government facility?
Not joking, they also have a lot more stuff but I don't want to get a knock on my door for posting it publicly.

I would say "you'd need a tank to get in there" but they have measures in place that will stop a tank at the front gate.

amuck-landowner