amuck-landowner

Gotcha!

joepie91

Soooo... who remembers this thread on LowEndTalk?

original_owely20140129-19006-1mg8lky.png

I was bored yesterday, and I figured I'd dig a little. And guess what I found?

Have a look at the who.is page that the above thread refered to, and be sure to note the date:

original_owely20140129-19006-1lhb1fu.png

Well, big deal, right? That WHOIS data must be from before Chris got the domain, right?

Ah, but no. Here's a capture from the Wayback Machine... again, notice the date:

original_owely20140129-18987-1horlzz.png

Whoops! The capture of the (live and running) ChicagoVPS business website was three days before the capture of registrant details!

Let's backtrack to the comments thread at the start of this post, and single out a particular comment with some emphasis...

original_owely20140129-18968-1vuuctd.png

So what does this mean? For at least 3 days, ChicagoVPS was a running business, while the domain was still owned by ColoCrossing.

The consequences:

• The statement from "Kevin Hillstrand" is a clear and proven-without-a-doubt lie. The Wayback Machine captured a live business site (not a GoDaddy parked page!) while the ChicagoVPS domain name was still owned by ColoCrossing - and it's the exact site that ChicagoVPS has used during its early business, so not a "temporary" site either.
  • Why would you run a company and have your domain owned by somebody not under your control? This evidence strongly suggests, if not outright proves, that ChicagoVPS has been a shell company of ColoCrossing from the very start. They appear to have pulled a classic shell company trick; realizing after setup (incubation) that the brand would be better off appearing independent, and quickly changing its information, in the hopes that nobody has noticed its original owner. This is, in fact, the exact way I could track down a comprehensive list of shell companies of iMesh (aka Bandoo / Discordia).
I sure wonder what excuse will float up this time, from ColoCrossing's side..

"Kevin Hillstrand was just an employee, his information was wrong because he simply didn't know the true story"?

"I gave Chris the login to the domain without changing registrant details"?

Or maybe just a straight-out "We owned ChicagoVPS all along, you didn't know?"

EDIT: Edited to include a hyperlink to the Wayback Machine capture.

Last edited by a moderator:

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Whoops! The capture of the (live and running) ChicagoVPS business website was three days before the capture of registrant details!
Cough...lowendbox.com search box...the first CVPS offer was October 16th, 2010 so better make that "For at least FIVE days, ChicagoVPS was a running business, while the domain was still owned by ColoCrossing."

http://lowendbox.com/blog/chicagovps-6-95-128mb-xen-vps/

edit: from the 1st LEB offer:

"They are backed by ColoCrossing in Chicago, which is part of Velocity Servers — at least their WHOIS says this way."

edit again: humor from the 2nd LEB offer on October 29th (after the WHOIS was changed to Fabozo's name):

"Domain is registered by Chris (a Velocity Server sales/support guy)"

http://lowendbox.com/blog/chicagovps-6-45-512mb-xen-vps-exclusive-offer/

more humor from Chris:

"We are not overcommiting RAM, what you buy is allocated to you and just you. Just wanted to clear that up :) We believe in quality!"  :p

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
What a shock! I never would have guessed that something like this could happen!

Seriously though, not a surprise, and since the margin is so slim (five days), CVPS will happily point their fingers at that. If they bother responding here at all.

from their 1st LEB offer:

"They are backed by ColoCrossing in Chicago, which is part of Velocity Servers — at least their WHOIS says this way."
It seemed weird to me to see language like that, since I forgot that LEB wasn't always a ColoCrossing piece of crap.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
The first few BuffaloVPS offers in 2011 contained similar language.

"They are reselling the servers from ChicagoVPS/Velocity Servers/ColoCrossing"
Yeah, we actually had good 'ol LEA taking a good look at the offers to make sure they (and the companies behind them) weren't crap.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
This is information that bear and anon-e-mouse at WHT would probably like to see.  Fabozo and all involved were banned from WHT for his shady antics, and they're frowning pretty hard on CC right now.
In the first BuffaloVPS offer Chris offered to sell someone a server in NYC which is strange since CVPS/BVPS never had a NYC location and he claims he never worked as a saleman for CC/Velocity (who has a NYC location).

"(P.S. We can do a custom setup if you want in NYC, but will be a bit more pricey, email me or talk to support.)"

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
"Domain is registered by Chris (a Velocity Server sales/support guy)"

http://lowendbox.com/blog/chicagovps-6-45-512mb-xen-vps-exclusive-offer/
Ahahahahahaha!

Now you joepie and you domainbop you both get gold stars for this performance. Well played. :)

"Domain is registered by Chris (a Velocity Server sales/support guy) and Jeremiah (network guy, tech support and many other hats)."  From the LEB offer lead in copy....

So....

Someone said:  

You are a former CC employee. Jon is your best friend.

No conflicts there.

It's like asking a hole in a wall. You never know who the devil on the other side is.
and...

CVPS_Chris said: [ ]

Stop saying that, its not true. Why am I being brought into CC drama. Go talk to Jon and ask why he posted my name on there when I was never an employee. Im sick of this bs made up lies.
and those were May 2013....

But somehow on LEB, back in October 2010, it said:

Chris (a Velocity Server sales/support guy) 

So, is the issue again that I didn't say the right company?  I said CC = ColoCrossing employee and here ChrisFab was actually an employee of Velocity Servers?

I'm flat out of popcorn.  Maybe CC should write a check to make me and everyone else forget about all of this.  Certainly would cost less than other umm public induced causes of loss and unintentional negative PR.   I'm off to have some slabs for lunch.

SkylarM

Verified Provider
So, is the issue again that I didn't say the right company?  I said CC = ColoCrossing employee and here ChrisFab was actually an employee of Velocity Servers?
So what this means is Chris has been under Biloh's desk giving free handjobs for a lot longer than assumed?

Wonder when cVPS is going to issue a press release for them owning BlueVM. Or are they waiting until there's public proof about it, going dark for a few months, and then issuing a press release alongside a new LEB listing like they did with UGVPS?

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Joepie91 said:

Why would you run a company and have your domain owned by somebody not under your control?
Technically, Chris was running a business but not a company during the first 5 1/2 months that ChicagoVPS operated.  NewWave Netconnect LLC wasn't incorporated until March 30, 2011.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Guess I can step back and let the pros do the heavy lifting now...  :)   Rocking!  Much more fun reading this stuff than toiling under info and taking forever to fact check, find, link, write, etc.

toadyus

Article Submitter
What I find the most hilarious out of the whole CC / BuffaloVPs / UGVPS / other shill yet to be found / etc is that they run LEB / LET and yet none of these craptastic adventures have made the top 3 or better yet the top 10 on their own top provider lists. I think that in it's own should give anyone a good understanding of how shitty they really are.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
... they run LEB / LET and yet none of these craptastic adventures have made the top 3 or better yet the top 10 on their own top provider lists. I think that in it's own should give anyone a good understanding of how shitty they really are.
... if you only knew how much this irritated Biloh ...

jarland

The ocean is digital
Forgive me if I don't see it but giving someone a domain name does not necessarily mean changing the whois details immediately. Who knows how long Chris could have had it before changing the details. Jon could have just said "here's the godaddy login." They are friends after all. I just don't see any new information here, sorry. The word "give" has to be taken too literally to do so and people don't always speak so literally in conversation.

You know I believe the conclusion you're drawing I just don't think this does anything to advance evidence.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
I'm with @jarland on this, remember taipres and his try to make another "better" LEB? He named it Cheapvpsdeals and after launch he got the .net domain from Uncle Sal. The whois information was unchanged for a "long" time after the change was made. Does this make Prometeus the owner of Cheapvpsdeals ? It is now owned by vps6.net so it's old news ... nevertheless it is a similar situation.

The story doesn't get better then the storyteller.

tchen

Ditto with Jarland. The investigative bar needs to be a bit higher before I bite. There are plenty of business that don't own their domains for a variety of reasons from leasing, stupidity with free domain sign ups, or just plain friendly transfers as pointed out. None of which makes the business registration any less valid. While in the ideal world, everyone would own 100% of all their company assets the day it becomes relevant, the real business world doesn't find itself artificially bound that way.

We all know Chris used to work in some fashion with Jon, either as an employee or contractor - like many of the associations other members have with each other on this board. Their tight bond can surely be questionable at times but that can exist without CC having any ownership of CVPS. Before embarking on random fishing expeditions down that dead end trail, substitute any other vpsboard member's name in that 'gotcha' report before hitting send. If it sounds weak, then know that's how it sounds to the rest of us who have no skin in this game.

As an example (no disrespect meant) BuyVM has a few employees who've worked with CC, EIG, and even DirectSpace. No one in their right mind would say this means BuyVM is a shell company of any of these. You would have called it grasping, tinfoil territory. Enough posts like that and all it does is to drown out any real evidence.

P.S. Until I can filter out these posts, I'm going to be THAT guy since you're making me read this.

P.S. Until I can filter out these posts, I'm going to be THAT guy since you're making me read this.
 I'm confused, is someone putting a gun to your head and making you read such threads? Let the thread run its natural course or a mod/admin step in to put an end to it. That's how it usually works here and in LET afaik.

tchen

I'm confused, is someone putting a gun to your head and making you read such threads? Let the thread run its natural course or a mod/admin step in to put an end to it. That's how it usually works here and in LET afaik.
 We'll end up nowhere fast if we keep arguing why I bother replying to posts that annoy me.  You don't have to read nor comment on my post, and I don't need to comment on your reply to my reply to your reply ad nauseam.  

This thread is currently in General Talk, part of something I read daily.  It has problematic fundamental issues regarding how it's making leaps from point A to point B.  So I have two options.  Ignore it and stand the real chance that the bar for future discussions about CC is set so low that posts about what Chris's cat eats for breakfast is proof positive that Biloh is the devil incarnate start popping up.  That ends up in the place where LET was when I started reading this board more frequently.  People were tripping over each other on getting the scoop that the signal to noise ratio pretty much died.

Or I can speak up now and voice my two cents on keeping things at least somewhat grounded.  

I'm not your mother, I'm not your moderator, and you don't need to listen to me to tone it down.  But I do hope that as a honest person, those posters who aren't just trolling will reflect on what they're posting before hitting send.  We're currently all playing in the same sandbox as everyone else.  If one of your sandbox mates stands up and tells you that it's not kosher, you can either kick them in the teeth or treat them with respect and actually listen to what they are asking for.  Elsewhere, I'd be preparing to hand-block my mouth, but I believe VPSboard is a better place than that.  Please don't prove me wrong.

amuck-landowner