amuck-landowner

GVH suspended after minor use of 100TB plan

tmzVPS-Daniel

Verified Provider
I prefer to wait to post the screenshot until after I get the amusement of the clown rushing to their site to delete the photo I linked to. )

kDvkcvu.png

Honestly, I CANNOT stop laughing hahahaahaha. My wife think's i'm nuts and my new born is making faces. 

- Daniel :)

Jack

why not fair? since you buy 100TB plan??? I still don't get it.

for example I run backup script every 1-2 hours, and consume about 500 GB that not allowed?? :)
That's a fair use... but wget'ing files to run up a bandwidth quota isn't.

texteditor

Premium Buffalo-based Hosting
Why did the botanist choose GVH to host his tulip image database?

He heard the staff had loved working with petal-files

SkylarM

Verified Provider
why not fair? since you buy 100TB plan??? I still don't get it.

for example I run backup script every 1-2 hours, and consume about 500 GB that not allowed?? :)
To be fair, there's a difference between utilizing your VPS and abusing resources for the sake of abusing resources. I've terminated and refunded many people who wget cron test files to fill up disk space then rm -rf it, or consume large amount of network for no valid reason.

If you're going to use your resources, use them properly. Don't be a dick. I will say that 100tb plans are practically begging for people to do that though.

Dylan

I'm on ny1 (signed up at about the same time as Mun, I think) and I haven't even hit 20MB/s once in a DD test. This is actually a pretty high result for me (usually it's about 11 MB/s):

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync

1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 61.6477 s, 17.4 MB/s

Though that's downright speedy compared to the IOPS:

ioping -c 10 .

10 requests completed in 10431.1 ms, 7 iops, 0.0 mb/s

I'm so glad my brand new VPS was provisioned on a "really, really old" node :\

Last edited by a moderator:

GVH-Jon

Banned
Well, that's pretty much all you can expect when the provider can't afford their own gear.
We actually are going to be buying our own Dual L5420s and colocating them in our own rack space, however as you may have been aware of already, ColoCrossing is currently having issues with space in their facilities and we're waiting on them to get the things that we need to get done. Our 1st priority right now is improving conditions for our existing clients by moving them over to pure SSD raid 10 nodes as soon as possible.

Jack

We actually are going to be buying our own Dual L5420s and colocating them in our own rack space, however as you may have been aware of already, ColoCrossing is currently having issues with space in their facilities and we're waiting on them to get the things that we need to get done. Our 1st priority right now is improving conditions for our existing clients by moving them over to pure SSD raid 10 nodes as soon as possible.
L5420s love power.. 

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Come back to this quote when they get another /14 in a month or so.

Francisco

Jade

NodeServ
Verified Provider

Jade

NodeServ
Verified Provider
I was referring to their capabilities to handle a bigger work load
How can something perform a bigger work load when it is far less efficient, slower, and a dinosaur in processor years compared to an E3.

A single E3 will run circles around a dual L5420 and will use half the power

texteditor

Premium Buffalo-based Hosting
How can something perform a bigger work load when it is far less efficient, slower, and a dinosaur in processor years compared to an E3.

but but our tests

I'm so compelled to lie that I even try to bullshit benchmarks

GVH-Jon

Banned

When you sell the plans that we do, it'll be more beneficial to have extra RAM and extra cores. Primarily for the extra RAM though, we'd prefer the Dual L5420.

Jade

NodeServ
Verified Provider
When you sell the plans that we do, it'll be more beneficial to have extra RAM and extra cores. Primarily for the extra RAM though, we'd prefer the Dual L5420.
You say for more cores? They both primarily have the same amount of cores. The L5420 may have more physical cores than the E3's, but no hyper threading like the E3's. When it comes to work load they out perform the 5420's. You want to be able to put more RAM into a 5420, however the problem you'll face will happen far before you could even use the amount of RAM you're looking to put in one.

& By the plans you sell, are you wanting to add more RAM to a 5420 to be able to over fill the node so much that its I/O is completely un-bareable?

amuck-landowner