amuck-landowner

Home Network Setup

Nikki

I'm pretty interested to see what other people have, I love complex home networks with a bunch of machines to handle whole-house streaming etc.

Our network is pretty simple, just a basic Modem + Router + Home Server. Motorola SB6141 for Comcast, Asus RT-AC68W (White version of the AC68U - Paired with a PCE-AC68 on my desktop for near-gigabit over AC), and Ooma Telo for VOIP (Something like $3.50/m for taxes + fcc/whatever fees, the service itself costs nothing and has some amazing features). Using an Atom D2700 with 4GB memory + 2TB of storage for local media streaming (uShare for UPNP/DLNA, Samba for Windows, NFS for Linux/Mac/XBMC) and LXC Containers (Local OwnCloud, Postgres database for random projects)

Last edited by a moderator:

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Wireless from next door (with permission) connected to PC, connected to old netgear switch and everything else wired in directly.

Nothing fancy. It works, most the time.

I'm soon going to have fiber installed directly, just haven't been in a big rush since it'll offer me little improvement over existing setup. Next door has fiber and they don't mind me using it. Everything I do is very low usage. I don't download anything large and the only time I stream items is at night after they're already asleep.

EDIT: Local fiber company can do 300Mbps+ connections to my home... Maybe I should host some Raspberry Pi servers or something :p

linuxthefish

Server 2008 R2 for DHCP and DNS, Procurve 2610-48 100mbit switch for all ports around the house and 8 port switch for places that need gigabit and for file server.

Internet is via android hotspot right now to wireless on PC's and laptop, as i'm too cheap to pay for good internet!

JahAGR

Residential cable modem into pfSense on ESXi. LAN comes out one NIC and is distributed via consumer switches. Want to get some better ones eventually

Two wireless APs, one is a TP-Link running dd-wrt and the other is some ugly plastic Belkin thing that more or less works most of the time

Internet access is load-balanced via VPN across two VPSes.

In terms of the actual devices using the network...

TP-Link AP is dedicated to some IP cameras that are on wireless.

Three hypervisors, one NAS, desktop + laptop + few other random machines. Some of the VMs are on separate networks but those are internal to ESXi

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Right now I'm on a Comcast Business line with the following network configuration:

The standard Motorola Modem from Comcast (I didn't put this in place), Server 2008 to handle DHCP and DNS (a total pain to deal with at times) connected to a 28 port switch. This 28 port switch connects the third floor rooms (where this setup is located), and also connects to the switch on the 2nd floor and the 1st floor. Each floor runs their own Access Points with the same SSID and all that. Entire house itself is wired with CAT6 cables.

In addition to Server 2008 running the essential work, we have several desktop-grade servers on the network operating as file systems, streaming servers, and whatever else that's needed.

It's not pretty, I never set it up (I actually don't manage it because I'm not the designated Network guy), but it gets the job done.

tonyg

I have ATT Uverse and use two separate isolated networks.

One network is for VMware machines used for testing and web browsing. On this network I run my wireless.

The other network (no wireless) is for my backup servers, media server, printers and two workstations.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
My network is bailing wire and chewing gum right now :)

Wiring is swell, all gigbit and a 24 port fully gigabit switch.

WIFI is blah, working on replacing that with something new and better and ideally outside (I am not a fan of transceivers in my home or office).  Contemplating some solar powered outdoor wifi - two units working together to cover my land.

Have to get new "modem" installed - rocking old beat down provider gear that is BLAH.

And working on a proper-like media storage server to feed the TVs and Rokus.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
And working on a proper-like media storage server to feed the TVs and Rokus.
Can Rokus access files on a local media server? If so, awesome. I just thought they could do like.. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, YouTube, etc type stuff.

mojeda

Can Rokus access files on a local media server? If so, awesome. I just thought they could do like.. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, YouTube, etc type stuff.
You could setup a local Plex server, I believe there is an app for that.

Wintereise

LR fiber handoff into Media converter -> L3 handoff from ISP -> FreeBSD box.

Using pf to run a pseudo NAT, and a couple Unifi APs for wireless. FreeBSD box / router also acts as a media / home server.

Schultz

Pretty basic setup; modem+wifi combo, wifi network & cable, also have a storage server for movies & TV shows.

We're suppose to be getting fiber here "soon" cant wait. Download speed is about 4MB/s - 5MB/s and upload 0.5MB/s.

MCH-Phil

Verified Provider

Roku's require a lot of media to be transcoded.  I, personally, hate transcoding media.  I have a WD LiveTV that plays everything I throw at it without transcoding.  Roku is just gathering dust, sadly.

My home network is really basic though.  CenturyLink modem -> Netgear R6250 -> devices.  

All my media is stored on my desktop.  Few TB's of media, streaming to the WD LiveTV.  I have a new 4tb disk I need to add to the collection also :D

Simplicity is the best way.

sv01

Slow but sure
Asus Modem/Router -> Debian (act as Gateway/Pron Filter/Squid Proxy/DHCP Server/DNS Server/Fle Server -> TP-LINK Switch 30 Port -> Devices

download speed : 10 mbps upload 1 mbps :(

SPINIKR-RO

Verified Provider
Comcast box in bridge mode

|

UBNT Edgemax Router

|

Switch

|__ work/private vlan

|___ Wifi vlan

As much as I dislike Comcast for various reasons, I get a steady 50/5Mbps 24/7.

SGC-Hosting

Verified Provider
Our home office has a VPN server, a 12TB file share (where we store documentation, ISO files, VPS templates, config files, etc..), a "test" datacenter on its own vlan (for when we are getting ready to test new configs or send out a bunch of servers  to a datacenter), backup-backup server (our deployed servers backup to individual backup servers... then those backup servers backup to this one machine)...

My apartment has a VPN server, plex server, a file share, and several access points scattered throughout -- those are the only permanent servers.. i have a small "cloud" rack that gets re-purposed almost weekly for personal learning and one-off projects

nDesign

2x 4G Router; from different companies 

|

TP-Link TL-R470T+ Load balance

|

Unmanaged Switch

|__3x AP

|__NAS

|__Printer

|__TV

|__Few Computers...

Not the prettiest network, but at least I have some sort of internet connectivity...

trewq

Verified Provider
2x 4G Router; from different companies

|

TP-Link TL-R470T+ Load balance

|

Unmanaged Switch

|__3x AP

|__NAS

|__Printer

|__TV

|__Few Computers...

Not the prettiest network, but at least I have some sort of internet connectivity...
Is it expensive just running of mobile data?

nDesign

Is it expensive just running of mobile data?
Not really, I have "unlimited plan" for about $27 each, so $54 for both and the DSL was costing me about $80.

The main reason for the two routers is that I need a stable connection, the DSL was unreliable at all.

scott2020

I have had good luck with a combo of Plex and PlayOn with my Roku's.  PlayOn does good on transcoding but it does take a decent machine to do so.  It has a lot of cool plugins too.

I have a cable modem to  Asus WiFi router and a 16 port gigabit switch.  I also connected in a few DECA adapters to talk Ethernet over coax. 

amuck-landowner