amuck-landowner

Hostress, LLC has acquired GreenValueHost v2 Clients and domain.

k0nsl

Bad Goy
I know boss, but I'm generally a bit, ehm, skeptical about anyone who'd touch or get themselves involved with GVH or anything associated with the latter...

I wouldn't jump to do that so quick.

I am mega ummm protective of customers and the BS they deal with in this industry (some actually run businesses from their services).  Easy for us in the know to laugh that people buy from GVH (and a long list of other brands).

If @tdale tries and it works out for customers, great.  Well done.  If later it goes sideways instead then so be it.

Guess if we were dealing with normal companies, they'd refund customers and all that jazz.  But that doesn't happen often in hosting, so this is about as good as we all can hope for.

That said, no clue how @tdale is fulfilling plans sold.  Some of those were like unlimited SSLs and other things that cost money.

Licensecart

Bit confused here, if you "acquire" a company you get everything and the debt, etc.

Code:
verb (used with object), acquired, acquiring.
1. to come into possession or ownership of; get as one's own:
to acquire property.
But this is a company / business: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_acquisition

Code:
A single acquisition refers to one company buying the assets and operations of another company and absorbing what is needed while simply discarding duplicated or unnecessary pieces of the acquired business. "Split and sell" acquisitions involve buying an entire business in order to gain one or two pieces of the business. The acquiring business may wish to retain the customer list and a product line, while moving manufacturing and other production related duties to an existing line. In this case the excess is often sold off to recapture some of the acquisition cost.

tdale

Verified Provider
Change the title to "Hostress, LLC has acquired GreenValueHost v2 Clients and domain."

telephone

Do what you think is right. Right now i'm worried about the clients and being offline. So the title of this post isn't exactly number 1 on my list. I know that sounds crappy but you should at least be happy I'm voicing that i care about the customers. Something these customers probably never had.

Not to be a dick, but if your top priority is the customers, then why was posting announcements on LET and VPSboard a high priority?

Why was a set migration strategy not made before this announcement? A set time and date should have been announced instead of a vague "migrated within 15 days or so". An FAQ regarding clients current plans, and whether you're keeping the unsustainable plans (free IPs and unlimited SSL). Last, a proper explanation into what was acquired and from who.

You could have totally made a video.

While it's nice that you've come to the aid of GVH clients, I'd rather have just flushed the giant turd that is GVH down the toilet and finally called it a day.

6iPqvEp.gif

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff

I don't understand what potential you see in this.  

Clients who were with GVH were after the bottom-est of all barrels and unsustainable plans.  The "assets" you've "purchased" are (essentially) the clients.  I'm pretty sure there's ways for it to work for you, however bottom line overall is that you're going to end up with a single giant overloaded server or increasing prices to make it sustainable and at a reasonable price that you don't have to end up eating cereal for dinner.  If you do the first one, you'll get poor service and then people will complain and leave (therefore your original "asset purchase" losing value).  If you do the second one, well...  ya know.  Cancellations because people wanted the service and the specs at that price which also decreases the value of the original "asset" purchase.  

Overall, this will result in a net negative.  I mean good luck on your challenge and acquiring of assets, however it's definitely something I'd never go near.  

Last edited by a moderator:

souen

Been pondering about that too. Maybe a few cases of people buying from GVH on an experimental note (i.e. regulars who were well-aware of the service quality and bought anyway for kicks) and maybe, just maybe, they are tempted to renew if the price is still competitive after adjustments and the service improved. As often said, first step is getting the name out there, people hearing about you to potentially buy from you.

All the best with the v2 client migration.

A small suggestion for the other company that "acquired" GVH: please get some paperwork signed with someone legally able to represent the company whose assets are being sold. The 2-year non-compete agreement was a complete joke, as is the refrain with another entity signing off with the company name in poorly-written public announcements that can reflect on company reputation. No offense meant, only I thought it'd be a pity to let basic things like that negatively affect the company its owner worked hard to build. Company name on the line and shouldn't let someone else use it so haphazardly.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Been pondering about that too. Maybe a few cases of people buying from GVH on an experimental note (i.e. regulars who were well-aware of the service quality and bought anyway for kicks) and maybe, just maybe, they are tempted to renew if the price is still competitive after adjustments and the service improved. As often said, first step is getting the name out there, people hearing about you to potentially buy from you.

All the best with the v2 client migration.

A small suggestion for the other company that "acquired" GVH: please get some paperwork signed with someone legally able to represent the company whose assets are being sold. The 2-year non-compete agreement was a complete joke, as is the refrain with another entity signing off with the company name in poorly-written public announcements that can reflect on company reputation. No offense meant, only I thought it'd be a pity to let basic things like that negatively affect the company its owner worked hard to build. Company name on the line and shouldn't let someone else use it so haphazardly.
So true.  

However, going back on topic, I wish the best for the Hostress team.  

A little bit of a rant here.  This is mostly geared towards old GVH Staff and current XFuse folks since they now share the same bed and is kinda unrelated to Hostress.  I get that you guys are trying to sound formal to sound "corporate" and "larger", but it's one of those things that just makes it a bit cringeworthy.  I know we all joke about "FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE" and whatnot but seriously it's cringy, like it's obvious he's faking it.  Writing about yourself in third person isn't necessarily a bad thing, but trying to be all "reporter-interviewer" style with it is absolutely ridiculous.  

joepie91

So true.  

However, going back on topic, I wish the best for the Hostress team.  

A little bit of a rant here.  This is mostly geared towards old GVH Staff and current XFuse folks since they now share the same bed and is kinda unrelated to Hostress.  I get that you guys are trying to sound formal to sound "corporate" and "larger", but it's one of those things that just makes it a bit cringeworthy.  I know we all joke about "FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE" and whatnot but seriously it's cringy, like it's obvious he's faking it.  Writing about yourself in third person isn't necessarily a bad thing, but trying to be all "reporter-interviewer" style with it is absolutely ridiculous.  
Seconding this. Making yourself appear larger and more 'corporate' is just another form of dishonesty, and not a laudable goal to shoot for, as far as I'm concerned. Just be honest, in the broadest sense of the word.

TheLinuxBug

*sigh*

Just another pony in the CC + GVH + Xfuse circus.  What is funny to me, as I mentioned during the Xfuse 'purchasing' of assets, is I HIGHLY doubt any legal paperwork was signed before the transfer of customer data to third parties.   I would be quite interested to see a signed contract from either of these 'Companies' which have appropriated GVH assets, I bet neither has them.  If this wasn't the bottom of the barrel and it was real businesses with real customers who gave a shit, one or all of these 'Companies' would likely be sued for breaching customer privacy (if I was a lawyer probably a longer list of things to add to that, but we will just use this for now).  However, as most people don't seem to care about their personal details, as they have let GVH leak their user DB everywhere and are likely STILL customers, I guess it is hard to feel bad for the customers.  

Which brings me back to the beginning of this, who the hell are you helping here, it sure doesn't seem like the customer...the customers you "purchased" don't  even seem to value them selves? Looks a lot more like CC has Johny Nuggets by the testes and is just giving the assets to anyone who claims they can recoup any type of value from them in order to eek what little cash they can back out of this incredible cluster fuck they created. 

Sure, wave the 'hero's' flag today and tell everybody your doing it for some noble reason, but I just don't buy it.  Smells just as fishy as the Xfuse 'purchase' which seemed to be just as corrupt if not more so.

Ohh, and it would make my day if you could provide proof to prove what I am saying is wrong, because frankly, I don't think you can.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Servers4You

Verified Provider
Most of the negativity is because of the bad reputation GVH has. In my opinion, if some is willing to turn GVH around, I say go for it and good on you and I wish them good luck!

I think @tdale has done the right thing in taking on its clients & he is right, there are clients who are a business and leaving them in the cold would do more harm than good.

telephone

Most of the negativity is because of the bad reputation GVH has. In my opinion, if some is willing to turn GVH around, I say go for it and good on you and I wish them good luck!

I think @tdale has done the right thing in taking on its clients & he is right, there are clients who are a business and leaving them in the cold would do more harm than good.

Not 100% true. There's 3 main factors for me:

• GVH = Huge turd.
  • GVH clients have been passed around like a $5 whore at a frat part.
  • @tdale's past with UGVPS, CVPS, and CC.
AnthonySmith summed up everything in his LET post:

AnthonySmith said:
tdale said: Did i lie about who i was? Yes. Did Chris keep the lie going? Yes. Did i work for cvps and colocrossing after selling ugvps? Yes. Do i regret any of it? Absolutely, and i've learned from those mistakes.
So 2 years ago you lied, built up debts that remained unpaid and lied to everyone, fast forward 2 years your a saint?

I don't believe you and did you really think getting in bed with the GVH name was the best way to your redemption? come on it is insulting how stupid you must think people are.

tdale said: You know what though, it is the past. Not once have i lied since that time. I'm trying to have a legitimate transparent company that will provide customers such as yourself with services that are stable, reasonably priced and have great support.

So before you tie me into bad support given by a company that was beyond my control due to other peoples lies, why don't you just give me the benefit of the doubt and let me prove myself as myself for ONCE.

It is ridiculous... completely ridiculous that you would expect anyone to believe that, you may have told your first public lie as late as Feb 2013 but you kept it up a lot longer then that.

tdale said: other peoples lies

.... sigh.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent

This is entirely how I feel.  The negativity is about JOnny GVH bouncing from one hair brained bad idea to another, folding versions of the company up rapidly (how many times can same company hard stop offering product and then go offer it again?), having massive customer facing fubars (alleged hacks, horrendous ticketing sagas, chargeback horror).

Not 100% true. There's 3 main factors for me:

• GVH = Huge turd.
  • GVH clients have been passed around like a $5 whore at a frat part.
AnthonySmith summed up everything in his LET post:
Yeah these three are valid.  

#2 is only one I find a tad off and no way for me to soothe public sentiments on it. Clients of GVH went from GVH to Xfuse (prior GVH VPS + dedi clients).  GVH latest customers  (shared and reseller) went from GVH to Xfuse (not really though as Duke never handled them but had access to accounts and looked at mess and said hell no) and sold them to TDale.

Duke has been a good caretaker of customer since the prior GVH client takeover.  There haven't been public leaks, hacks, etc.  There are reasons for that and the change vs. when it was GVH.  To start Duke doesn't operate a playground of teens, hacker types, etc.  He has a core team that has remained the same since the GVH handoff.  Nor does Duke personally do dramas. Dramas upset Duke more than anything.  He's not out shopping for attention, in fact he's been too quiet outside of these Jonny-caused flare ups.

Which brings us to the present:

This is valid. I pieced all the data together and cemented this in hosting history.  It was matter that was unacceptable then and well I think tdale told the rest of the story a while back with my assistance and not enough folks read the timeline and all (would help to have those swiping at things on LET review said timeline since the UGVPS behavior was mainly post-handoff to CVPS/CC).   This puts Tdale back in saddle working with CC / HVH, only where original customers end up with him.  Nothing said at this point about him inheriting the prior customer base Duke is holding (VPS + dedis).

Past behavior is all folks have to work on.  Prudent to look at such and blow a whistle.  Tdale claims he's working his brand and in it to make things a success.  I've asked him if he has the time and energy to even attempt this and withstand the ass whoopings being around GVH-anything brings.  He claims he has the time and energy.  I hope he's being straight and honest to himself, family, folks in this industry, etc. 

I think he's going to make a good attempt.  Will it work?   From cashflow perspective as-is, no.  GVH products [emphasis on latest SHARED] sold and minds of many customers was on cheapest stuff and annuals.  GVH name and ability to use that as vehicle to move more sales is severely negative.   So only thing being assumed would be existing customers and servers in place along with any costs / debts attributable. The shared stuff is blah and rentals and rentals of containers.  So it's a cPanel migration away from consolidating into one discount location and being done.  

souen

#2 is only one I find a tad off and no way for me to soothe public sentiments on it. Clients of GVH went from GVH to Xfuse (prior GVH VPS + dedi clients).  GVH latest customers  (shared and reseller) went from GVH to Xfuse (not really though as Duke never handled them but had access to accounts and looked at mess and said hell no) and sold them to TDale.
Yeah, that's the official path to date. However, "GVH clients" as client data have been exposed to more people than parties involved in the sales (db leaks, used by former employee to advertise another brand), which adds to the feeling of gross negligence in handling client data (and by extension the clients).

It's doubtful all this would stop the former GVH "brand president" from returning with another brand fronted with a partner or the ilk though, if he was really determined to do it. If there was some paperwork in place maybe authorities could be called in to set the record straight. Takeover v1 hinged on the promises of someone with a history of changing his word every other week, v2 so far looks to be the same, with the same press release problem.

Imho, as before, I'd just like to see the transfer run its course as quickly and cleanly as possible. Stories like this give the industry a rough look and turn off new customers especially from trying new or less well-known startups.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Yeah, that's the official path to date. However, "GVH clients" as client data have been exposed to more people than parties involved in the sales (db leaks, used by former employee to advertise another brand), which adds to the feeling of gross negligence in handling client data (and by extension the clients).
So this single point I'll address.   There have never been GVH database leaks in truest sense.  There were rumors of such.  There was one issue where a piece of a database - admin table - was out and about - that was it.   That piece was doctored.  I know because I saw the piece and asked people at GVH to compare the data character by character.  Some data was incorrect.  It was a cut and paste job by someone..  An old file someone had with a new admin tossed in since they suspected someone of working there. 

Now that doesn't give warm feeling.  Point is, someone who was an admin and had access, had a file.  This is expected.  That data getting public isn't.  To that effect, nothing really has gone public so even the questionable folks there haven't don't wrong in this way.  

The email snafu with Neximweb.   Kaushal was an admin for a period of time at GVH.  His story about mixing that GVH customer data into other data and handing to mailing person remains sounding like bull crap to me.  I wouldn't doubt that Jonny permitted the list be used / furnished it then to satisfy money he owed Kaushal or some similar financial thing.  #Shellco

There is a reason why I am vehemently against guys with random masked pre-a-different-brand.  It raises up to shenanigans like the Nexim list borrowing.

Is it not karma and poetic justice that following the list abuse that Neximweb has gone out of business?   It proves to me that what some of us do scrutinizing brands and owners actually accomplishes something and does keep some fringe folks in line. 

I encourage folks to shake companies down and keep folks honest.  

amuck-landowner