amuck-landowner

How are you handling backups?

clarity

How are you guys handling backups? I am looking for some new ideas. We all know rsync and stuff, but I am really wanting a script that can sftp over data to another server. I am a tutorial following kind of guy, and I can't seem to find anything that comes across as good to me anymore. Do you guys have any links?

Thanks.

fusa

Verified Provider
We use Bacula for this. Easy incremental and full backups on multiple volumes / servers. 

This services also pulls the data from your server, so there is no login information on your web/mail server.

Last edited by a moderator:

clarity

We use Bacula for this. Easy incremental and full backups on multiple volumes / servers. 

This services also pulls the data from your server, so there is no login information on your web/mail server.
How hard is bacula to configure?

happel

Daily (nightly) backups for the past month using rsnapshot. I like rsnapshot for being pull based. In the event of a security breach of a production system the backups are still safe :).

I'm currently looking into zetaback for my zfs storage pools.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Made locally, also rsynced every 2 hours to remote server where I've got an archive. Also backed up from there to my PC occasionally.

I've got an R1SoftLicense, haven't used it yet though. So will do R1SoftBackups too.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Out of curiosity, why the SFTP specification/want?

Rsync continues to be the way I advise backups for most things.  Duplicity and many other solutions are using rsync underneath.

Where isn't rsync cutting it for you now?  (I know the commandline options can be a pain at times to perfect)

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
Crashplan backing up to a backupsy VPS as well as my local (home) server. Each container on my dedi backs up each day, some are synced manually from within the OS itself.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Crashplan backing up to a backupsy VPS as well as my local (home) server. Each container on my dedi backs up each day, some are synced manually from within the OS itself.
How is Backupsy going for you?  I just took the plunge and signed up.  :)

clarity

Out of curiosity, why the SFTP specification/want?

Rsync continues to be the way I advise backups for most things. Duplicity and many other solutions are using rsync underneath.

Where isn't rsync cutting it for you now? (I know the commandline options can be a pain at times to perfect)
I guess I don't really have a want for sftp. I would love something like backuppc that was lighter weight.

I like rsnapshot a lot. I wish it could push backups though instead of the pulling only. I guess I could mount a remote directory for it to work, but I would worry about performance that way.

I am also thinking about signing up for backupsy, but I want to use it for an own cloud instance. The I have to find something to back that up!

BlueVM

Verified Provider
Backups? What backups? Unmanaged providers offer backups?

We'll probably have a free backup system in Feathur shortly... enough for 1 or 2 backups per user... probably with a limit of 10 - 30 GB of data.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Backups? What backups? Unmanaged providers offer backups?

We'll probably have a free backup system in Feathur shortly... enough for 1 or 2 backups per user... probably with a limit of 10 - 30 GB of data.
If I recall KuJoe does ridiculous amounts of backups (three layers deep) of each server.  I know several who maintain backups (including ourselves) for worst-case-scenario disasters.  RamNode had an issue recently where their nodes were compromised and most of them were trashed (requiring a reinstall and complete loss of client data).  Fortunately they had backups of most of the nodes and (while took some time) were able to restore many of these backups.

I feel that being unmanaged doesn't exempt us from backups.  Now we won't pull backups fora single person (that's not how it's setup for us anyways) but if/when a major disaster happens we should be able to have everything back up in a day or two.  

In my opinion, backups are a great way (even for unmanaged providers) to save face when disaster happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I guess I don't really have a want for sftp. I would love something like backuppc that was lighter weight.
Let's see --- backuppc -- this? http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/info.html

Looks like some really nifty features in it.  Also looks to have a good bit of overhead to do everything it is doing.  Way more than rsync by itself.

"BackupPC is written in Perl and extracts backup data via SMB using Samba, tar over ssh/rsh/nfs, or rsync."

I like rsnapshot a lot. I wish it could push backups though instead of the pulling only. I guess I could mount a remote directory for it to work, but I would worry about performance that way.
Give SSHFS a look :)  I use it alot to overcome all sorts of oddball issues with goofy bandwidth.  Simply, it allows you to map director/filesystem via SSH over any network.  It does create overhead, but no more than any other technology like SSH.  

With SSHFS you can push or pull data.  

Rsnapshot looks interesting also :)    Any rsync based solution that allows for a base full backup and incrementals and/or deduping, is good.  Especially true where you are backing up full desktop installations.     OS installs are highly duplicative from one user to next.

Good thread though. I like these.  Helps expose new/unknown solutions that are out there.

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
@buffalooed - They're great. I have been with them since before they officially launched (beta testing) and early on they had a raid controller die so I lost my entire VPS at which point I left for about a month and then I went back and tried again.... haven't looked back since. @serverian is doing well and Backupsy is great!

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
The creator of rsync really deserves some massive recognition.  A lifetime achievement award.  Rsync is used in so many things we all take for granted.

happel

Any specific reason you want to push backups?

Pull has a several advantages:

- more secure

- easier to monitor

- can be managed from a central location

Hosting55

I use r1soft for save our webservers data. So great product, easy to recover. For our office PCs we use duplicati. Duplicati backups our data to Amazon S3 incrementally. Also I use duplicati for my personal needs, backup all important data to my google drive.

clarity

Let's see --- backuppc -- this? http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/info.html

Looks like some really nifty features in it.  Also looks to have a good bit of overhead to do everything it is doing.  Way more than rsync by itself.

"BackupPC is written in Perl and extracts backup data via SMB using Samba, tar over ssh/rsh/nfs, or rsync."
That is exactly the one. It is pretty!

Any specific reason you want to push backups?

Pull has a several advantages:

- more secure

- easier to monitor

- can be managed from a central location
The server that I was planning to backup to has 128MB of ram, and rsync sometimes fails due to memory issues from creating the file list. If I get a backupsy box, this should not be an issue.

amuck-landowner