How did you come up with your company name?

Discussion in 'Operating a Hosting Business' started by MannDude, May 27, 2014.

1. MannDude

MannDude Just a dude vpsBoard Founder Moderator

Mar 8, 2013
    MannDude
    Curious how everyone here came up with their company name. Some names seem obvious, as in they include the words, "host", "vps", "server", etc. Others, not so much. Since your company name is your brand identity, I'm curious why you chose the name you did and how you came up with it.

2. Mun

Mun Never Forget

May 9, 2013
    I beat manndude to a pulp until I found a name I liked.

3. raindog308

raindog308 vpsBoard Premium Member Moderator

May 16, 2013
    I thought that's how you got your nick?

MannDude -> beating, pulping, rearranging, condensing -> Mun

4. lv-matt

lv-matt New Member

May 17, 2013
    I purchased mine of someone else who had already come up with it for $XXX.

5. Mun

Mun Never Forget

May 9, 2013
    Actually I got it because people couldn't pronounce the original name I got from pulping manndude so I shortened it for all the idiots in the world.

6. datarealm

datarealm New Member Verified Provider

Jun 26, 2013
    We sat down with a notepad and filled pages with names.  Then went back and veto'd a bunch, and finally started a voting process.

Likewise for domain names.  We had originally started with 'serve.com' and a bunch of ideas based off a gas station motif with 'full.serve.com' for fully managed services, 'self.serve.com' for self managed services, etc.

7. Xenfinity

Xenfinity New Member Verified Provider

May 11, 2014
    We started doing business in the web hosting industry to bring innovative new features to VPS hosting. Lots of Virtuozzo/OpenVZ hosts out there, probably because it's very cheap to maintain.

After working with Virtuozzo, KVM, Hyper-V, and Xen, I found that I really liked Xen for how realistically its virtual machines act like dedicated servers. Xen can even virtualize within a virtual machine.

To create a company name, I had someone else try to come up with a name, but he only made some variation of "Texan" (we're incorporated in Texas), like "ATXXEN", which reads "Austin Texen"

The only name I could come up with was "Xenfinity", which doesn't have any special meanings except being a portmanteau of "Xen" and "Infinity", and since I didn't like any other name candidates that popped up, "Xenfinity" stuck.

Nick

8. raindog308

raindog308 vpsBoard Premium Member Moderator

May 16, 2013
    But how did MannDude get his name?

I assume it was an iterative process...

"Mann...what?  Let me think...

MannLewd...meh...

MannShrewd...meh...

Mann 'Tude...too strident...

MannBrood...bugs me for some reason...

MannCrude...descriptive, but...

MannRude...maybe...

MannFood...sounds like a sports bar...

MannScrewed...oh God, the jokes...

MannPrude...what am I, a Puritan?  No.

MannBloodFeud...I like it, but too hillbilly...

MannRenewed...no, sounds like a spa...

MannSubdued...doesn't fit...

MannNude...NO."

Webmaster and Kayaba Akihiko like this.
  9. jarland

jarland The ocean is digital

Apr 4, 2013
    I ran into catalysthost.org on GoDaddy auctions. Launched with it. Grabbed .net when it expired. Waited a year for .com to expire with fingers crossed.

Never understimate the power of getting drunk and trolling the domain auctions on GoDaddy ;)

10. MannDude

MannDude Just a dude vpsBoard Founder Moderator

Mar 8, 2013
    MannDude
    Company name, not forum username.

But for reference, "I'm Curtis Mann, dude." ==> MannDude

Or sometimes I lie and tell people it's my real name and pronounced, "M-ahn Dew-day", which I think sounds better anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2014
  11. iWF-Jacob

iWF-Jacob New Member Verified Provider

Jan 27, 2014
    I won the original domain via a contest at DigitalPoint (I know, I know...) It sat for a couple years until we decided to launch!

12. KuJoe

KuJoe New Member Verified Provider

May 17, 2013
    Originally we were Backup Dragon, then I decided to buy securedragon.net for our WHMCS because I'm not a fan of subdomains, then we got the idea of offering services other than backups, then we registered the LLC using our "company" domain, then backups became such a small percentage of our services so we stuck with Secure Dragon, then we offered different brands with different domains, then we went back to just one website, and here we are.

shovenose and MannDude like this.
  13. Coastercraze

Coastercraze Top Thrill Verified Provider

Mar 28, 2013
    Queue line mist fan AKA Cedar Point.

14. AMDbuilder

AMDbuilder Active Member Verified Provider

Jan 3, 2014
    A few hours of debating possible company names leading up to lunch.  The closer we got to lunch the more food related names were suggested.  I forget the exact reasoning we settled on our name, perhaps because our lunch arrived or the name wasn't already taken.  It could also be the fact none of us could say the name without smiling.

In either case we get to have some fun with the branding, and yes we still smile when saying the name.

15. lbft

lbft New Member

May 15, 2013
    I think a lot of the time the primary determining factor is finding an available domain, unfortunately.

I don't do hosting myself but it's usually the limiting factor when I'm trying to name a project.

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2014
  16. HostSailor

HostSailor Member Verified Provider

Apr 27, 2014
    Days of deep brainstorming, but then again now adays it's hard to find a name that isn't already taken.

17. Nett

Nett Article Submitter Verified Provider

Nov 27, 2013
    Virtuozzo is expensive FYI.

Back on topic: my website (PetaByet) is just an anagram of petabyte(1024TB), originally I bought the domain just for fun but later developed the site.

18. cspacews

cspacews New Member Verified Provider

Jan 30, 2014
    Our Website name is CSpace well my first initial starts with C and we are reffering to Web/Internet Space so it become CSpace and Hostings its assumed ;)

19. dano

dano New Member

Nov 19, 2013
    I sleep on names -- I used to buy great names I would think about(impulse), and then I decided that I should sleep on the name and see if I like it in a day or two, and if I do for the project, it sticks.

20. markjcc

markjcc New Member

May 1, 2014
    1 Minute of Brainstorming, I thought about the word Next.. Then removed the T came up with NexHost

BOOM!

Webmaster likes this.