amuck-landowner

How do you manage/organize/store your config files for your servers?

fixidixi

Hy,

I'd like to ask if you have any toughts on how server configurations should be stored, managed,archived etc. just store it in some version control system?

Thanks for your input :)

so far ive stored all the config files on my pc and synced them accross a backup vps, my laptop and a cloud storage.. (ive only got 5 servers to manage now..)

How do You manage this? :)

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
Important configuration files that require change management - git

Distribution of configuration files - either via an inhouse deployment system (using ssh) or via bittorrent sync

Most configuration files are also stored on DropBox for redundancy.

Currently managing: 78 servers

Last edited by a moderator:

fixidixi

yea its a bit of an overkill but i was thinking about configuring hudson/jenkins and create jobs for various deployment purposes (learning curve :) )

- server configs

- app compilation

- app deployment

k0nsl

Bad Goy
...for the most part I use Git to manage it all. Also, back it all up on several locations and also offsite backup in my house — for some 30+ VPS/servers (mostly VPSes).

:) 

gxbfxvar

I use RCS (yes, that old one) for /etc and Mercurial for configuration files in $HOME. Backups are done using tarsnap.

On a new system, I just clone the personal configuration repositories from one of the existing machines. Machine specific settings are either handled via branches or just in separate files ($HOME/.$HOSTNAME.config).

definedcode

Verified Provider
I suggest using Ansible to manage your servers, or Chef. They're both pretty awesome and make configuration easy and automated provisioning of servers.

amuck-landowner