amuck-landowner

How do you upload your files to your webserver?

LiamCyrus

Verified Provider
I store the files in a folder on MEGA (used to use Dropbox, though I prefer MEGA for the security/encryption focus aspect) so that I can access up to date development files on all of my computers. Occasionally I'll reluctantly push the files to a private BitBucket repository (as a web developer I naturally have a dislike for Git) for incremented backups. I use SFTP via Sublime Text to actually upload the files to our production server, and run a lamp stack on my computer for development testing. I use AWS S3's web interface for uploading static media (they don't support FTP :( ), and of course use phpmyadmin for any database work or uploads. 

It's a really cost effective setup (near free, if you can bear the occasional popup for the sublime SFTP plugin, or opt to go with filezilla instead) and is cross platform, allowing me to work on my site both on Debian at home and XP at school. 

I use FlashFXP which is the fastest FTP program I ever tried. On the free side I use FileZilla which has good updates and the latest options for TLS, SSH Keys, etc.

vladka24

I use FlashFXP which is the fastest FTP program I ever tried. On the free side I use FileZilla which has good updates and the latest options for TLS, SSH Keys, etc.

Is it faster than FileZilla? It's pretty cheap, I might buy it if it's indeed faster than FileZilla. Did ever have any issues with it?

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!

Is it faster than FileZilla? It's pretty cheap, I might buy it if it's indeed faster than FileZilla. Did ever have any issues with it?
Filezilla advantage is the multiple threaded upload/download. But I still use FlashFXP unless I need to move multiple directories with tons of files in them

FlashFXP is faster than Filezilla which is doing some pausing between sending commands over network when I use it which I associate with FileZilla being free.

IndoVirtue

Verified Provider
If I'm on Windows computer, I use WinSCP. Pretty popular here at least in my country and they have portable version too. All we need is only VPS with sshd running, no additional daemon needed. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

AuroraZero

SCP or SFTP sometimes but rarely I have to wget something that I can not get any other way. Some people have some weird setups to their servers on the other end sometimes. They do not allow certain protocols, so you have to do what you have to do in those instances.

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
Depends on my current connection and where they are located. 

If its from home I will just upload it via SFTP.

Under some circumstances like if I am away from home I will have it on another server and I will have to login remotely and wget it off where it is located. 

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
SFTP to central filestore, deployment script which deploys from there to production instances (when staging & QA processes complete).

There isnt really many arguments for FTP or other non-encrypted protocols these days.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
There isnt really many arguments for FTP or other non-encrypted protocols these days.

making it comedically easy for certain ultravoyeurist douche bags to snoop whilst being aware of them?

EDIT: As an aside, I remember accidentally stumbling across a power point presentation on Docker the other month, can't seem to find it now. The author suggested avoiding SSH for connecting to servers and called it a cargo cult mentality or something, seemed amusing.

casdr

I don't upload things to my server much, but when I do, I use rsync. I also use git, but that's for projects I code myself.

GalaxyHostPlus

Verified Provider
I think zip and unzip is fastest way in linux than uploading single files well it's my way I'm doing but probably rsync also would give good performance. 

amuck-landowner