amuck-landowner

How do you upload your files to your webserver?

ModyDev

Is there a good alternative for FileZilla for Linux GUI which doesn't need unprotected file format (Putty *.ppk) ?

Last edited by a moderator:

perennate

Verified Provider
@ModyDev by "unprotected file format", are you talking about transport encryption? Because FileZilla supports SFTP over SSH.

perennate

Verified Provider
No, I am talking about the private key file stored by FileZilla in unprotected format *.ppk

According to https://wiki.filezilla-project.org/Howto#Other_platforms, FileZilla works fine with standard SSH agent. I tested it on Ubuntu with XFCE+GNOME-keyring and verified that I didn't need to do any key file format conversion. The PuTTY format is only necessary on Windows because FileZilla uses PuTTY library on Windows; but you mentioned you were looking for a program for Linux.

Last edited by a moderator:

stim

I use a Raspberry pi for local file storage and back it up to a remote server using good old rsync. Really powerful and easy.

On windows, WinSCP does the job nicely.  

risharde

SFTP most of the time for me here... some occasions, I use SCP if its server to server transfers...
FTP... no way... too insecure from what I've read

WasNotWSS

The usual combination of tarballing, compressing, and scp. It's worked perfectly for several decades (and no issues with port behavior and nasty NAT fixups), so- works for me!

amuck-landowner