amuck-landowner

Is IPMI important for a Dedi?

JayCawb

We have free reboots + permanent KVMoIP with every server, so yeah it's definitely a handy thing to have and should be included by default.

notFound

Don't take me seriously!
Verified Provider
It depends what this 'small fee' for iKVM is. Generally I don't like to go without IPMI for personal stuff, but in a production environment definately not unless I've got some really quick remote hands that can do stuff. ;-)

Magiobiwan

Insert Witty Statement Here
Verified Provider
I consider it to be a very important thing to have. I coughed up the $20 for a DRAC for a PowerEdge I have Colo'ed because it didn't come with one. DRAC is VERY nice to have. And DRAC is basically IPMI, just with a different name.

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
Either IPMI or quick (<10m) access to KVM is a must for me.

Usually this rules out remote hands attaching a KVMoIP unit.

concerto49

Verified Provider
Thanks for the replies. 1 observation regarding "I need IPMI" seems to be providers and/or those that work there. Those that say it's fine tend to be consumers :)

wlanboy

Content Contributer
"I need IPMI" seems to be providers and/or those that work there. Those that say it's fine tend to be consumers :)
Might be true. First cannot wait for response times - second are used to wait a view hours until the fire brigade arrives.

shawn_ky

As a consumer, as long as it isn't mission critical, then no biggie.. but then, I wouldn't be using a budget server for mission critical, so it comes down to you are going to get what you pay for...

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
I am a consumer. I would never order a server without IPMI of some form. If my server goes down I need to be able to get it back up asap. Right now my server doesn't have IPMI but it will as soon as my provider gets the switch for it setup.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
Thanks for the replies. 1 observation regarding "I need IPMI" seems to be providers and/or those that work there. Those that say it's fine tend to be consumers :)
If I would run anything where I am not the only user, something like shared hosting or similar then a IPMI/drac/ILO or whatever it's called is a "must".

When it comes to personal stuff that is not sensitive to a couple of hours/days downtime then it's of no importance.

So as with most questions asked in this business, the answer is "it depends on what it's supposed to do"

Last edited by a moderator:

Patrick

INIZ.COM
Verified Provider
Always nice to have IPMI or KVM at the very least for the ability to have access to server if something messes up

AlexBarakov

Verified Provider
As long as remote reinstall and remote reboot are options, no need for IPMI. Also it would be good to have some KVM on-site and just sell time on it.

VPSCorey

Verified Provider
IPMI is best, but with it you have to maintain a VPN network or expose them publically to the customer.  Little overhead at first, but less requests on the back end.

amuck-landowner