amuck-landowner

Jonny Nguyen - GreenValueHost - Raided by Police.

It's been confirmed his home was raided but do you have any proof he was arrested (I would hope that you do have proof and aren't so dumb that you would publicly post that someone was arrested without any concrete proof ).

He's a minor (17) but he can be charged.  His ex-VP Eric was only 16 and was charged in NY in February.
I've been told that he's been arrested by a couple people, those of which are typically rather trustworthy.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
It's been confirmed his home was raided but do you have any proof he was arrested (I would hope that you do have proof and aren't so dumb that you would publicly post that someone was arrested without any concrete proof ).
Should be clear that nothing indicates he was arrested.  However the nature of a warrant puts you under control and no mobility and defacto arrest situation.

I don't think he was arrested in the traditional understanding form of hauled off to local jail or anything.  This warrant was to secure evidence.  He was certainly talked to and detained and such would probably for time they were in the home constitute fringe of an arrest.  He couldn't just go for a walk then I bet.'

... and this is why I didn't re-post the headline of arrest ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Amitz

But, guys... Seriously: Do you really think that Jonny did that? We all know he's a big mouth and does not always behave like the brightest light out there, but I cannot imagine him being that stupid.

KMyers

He is a minor, isn't he? So they can't charge him with anything?
There is technically no age limit with being "charged" however being charged as a minor is a slap on the wrist. Most serious crimes done by someone above the age of 15 can bring "adult" charges. 

To be honest, I have a feeling that this may be the end of GVH. Even if he only spends a few days in prison, there will likely be a clause restricting him from using a computer for a year or two. 

KMyers

But, guys... Seriously: Do you really think that Jonny did that? We all know he's a big mouth and does not always behave like the brightest light out there, but I cannot imagine him being that stupid.
I would have doubts if he claimed to do it himself but I dont doubt that he would have used a third party service

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I'd say Jonny talks a big game and says things often enough that are fabrications.   Problem in that is to folks investigating where is the line with something like DDoS?  Do they need to find his payment for a booter... conversations with operators of such?  Or will his braggadocios claims to random folks be sufficient?   

DDoS isn't something routinely that leave evidence laying around.  Especially on spoofable networks.. Ah hem.

*** there are questions for someone who has dealt with multiple DDoS investigations involving law enforcement ***

My understanding is the District had network / DDoS issues and Jonny knew / privileged information about such and combination of his timing, bad approach to things, research perhaps, etc. created a toxic mix.  He put his thing in a beehive and got stung.

Lots of heresay, even if he said it.  Lack of physical evidence.

Me I'd recommend the court and those involved (parents / counselors / school board) force him into some qualified psychology help and make him work a real job.  Maybe something like digging ditches at the local cemetery will get his priorities straight and some work ethic.

Ideally this wake up call / intervention  gets him on the right path.  Young people do stupid for impression sake / insecurity.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
He's 17... That's a murky age in the US.   They routinely charge folks that age as adults, even put them in adult prisons.

Even if they charge him as a minor he could face stiff punishment via lockup to age 18 and beyond.

However, he has no known record as a minor and he'll do the chicken clucking and telling anything he knows to help his cause and avoid prosecution (such is normal in the US).  I'd expect him if found guilty to face a few years of probation and community service.  Depends on the prosecutor though and how bad they want to make an example of him or how tired of him they might be...

All I can say is his parents are in for a big spend.  There goes the college money.
Wait he's going to College?

woah.  You know what good for him.  

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
He's not done with his primary education, yet.  College, yeah he claimed to have been planning to go.  This isn't going to make it easier.
Yeah that was a low blow/dick move on my part.  Yep this isn't going to make it easier for him.  

KMyers

Wait he's going to College?

woah.  You know what good for him.  
He's not done with his primary education, yet.  College, yeah he claimed to have been planning to go.  This isn't going to make it easier.
Well, thanks to the excellent prison inmate education programs, it is possible to earn a few degrees while reflecting over his past mistakes.  

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Well, thanks to the excellent prison inmate education programs, it is possible to earn a few degrees while reflecting over his past mistakes.  
Seriously, he'd kill himself in a jail / prison and he'd get victimized.  Going to be clear to folks appointed to deal with matter that his mental fragility is really bad.  Not saying mental health should give you a free ride pass or anything, nor am I saying he's some beautiful mind wasted by such.  

More likely he gets wrist slapping and benefits again from living in an upper income area around influential folks.  They tend not to send their own neighbors to the big house for vacation. Laws aren't uniformly applied in the States, sadly.

Asian families I know and grew up around would be humiliated by this, and you'd be very sorry about bring shame upon your family.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Update:  Someone called Jonny's father a bit ago.

The police had a warrant for attempted unauthorized access of a computer system.

It is alleged that Jonny was trying to access some part of his school network internally. SSH maybe was mentioned as logging and how snagged.

Remember - always have permission from a legitimate person in charge of said environments before you go security testing.  Test my door unannounced my dog or Smith & Wesson revoke your life essence.

Now if SSH was all there and open and on same network segment as the kiddies and in the open with no ACL, yeah.... ahhh best practices then are fear, job insulation and responsive terrorizing the curious.

PS:  He has been suspended for 10 days also.

KMyers

The police had a warrant for attempted unauthorized access of a computer system.

It is alleged that Jonny was trying to access some part of his school network internally. SSH maybe was mentioned as logging and how snagged.
If that is indeed the case, then the charges could be a lot worse then it would be if it were just a DDoS

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
If that is indeed the case, then the charges could be a lot worse then it would be if it were just a DDoS
I hate to sound like that person ... but SSH on public wifi...  Any install I've dealt with - with public wifi, entirely isolates that group from anything.  Rules are so tight out of necessity.  Afterall, grading, personal records, finance stuff, etc. that you don't want exposed, ever.

Attempting to scan a network, meh nothing anyone should care much about - shouldn't be anything there for them to see. Brute force, well different ball of wax.

I am thinking the district is running a flat everything on one network wifi and wired all the same so teachers and students can freely touch whatever resource.  The bad design of a whole wifi crazy campus.  Tssk if so.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider

PS:  He has been suspended for 10 days also.

Yeah I know it'll be a first time offender, but for cyber security/terrorism, there's a good chance they're going to try him as an adult, or sit on everything for a year for him to turn 18 and get him then.

Francisco

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
I bet Duke is THRILLED to be officially associated with that clownshoes.  Fair chance he'll get reeled into the mess as well, especially if some of Jonny Wonder's other dirty history floats up from the investigation.

KMyers

I bet Duke is THRILLED to be officially associated with that clownshoes.  Fair chance he'll get reeled into the mess as well, especially if some of Jonny Wonder's other dirty history floats up from the investigation.
I am pretty sure @XFS_Duke is currently evaluating his options. Per his Disclosure thread, Jon owes his a fair amount of money. 

amuck-landowner