amuck-landowner

Kodo Technologies announces HostGuard VPS Control Panel

NickM

Verified Provider
For the KVM question, KVM storage can be handled in many ways.  Do you handle storage in the same way as SolusVM (LVM fat provisioning?)
Yes, we use regular LVM fat provisioning.  We felt that the performance benefits of using LVM instead of qcow2 outweighed the benefits that qcow2 brings (particularly the sparse file support).  We also didn't go with thin provisioning because we wanted to eliminate potential sources of problems - with thin provisioning, you can completely destroy everything if you run out of metadata space.  Perhaps in a future release, we'll add an option to use qcow2 images instead of LVM.

Virtovo

Verified Provider
Yes, we use regular LVM fat provisioning.  We felt that the performance benefits of using LVM instead of qcow2 outweighed the benefits that qcow2 brings (particularly the sparse file support).  We also didn't go with thin provisioning because we wanted to eliminate potential sources of problems - with thin provisioning, you can completely destroy everything if you run out of metadata space.  Perhaps in a future release, we'll add an option to use qcow2 images instead of LVM.
I agree with the rationale, was just checking.  I think flexibility over the storage model will be a good differentiator from some other panels. 

Melon

Strange product name for something that has nothing to do with security. Logo is silly, and the icons are pretty ugly. Also, non-free.

HostGuard

Verified Provider
We think it is a brilliant name for a company to offer products such as a VPS control panel and it allows us to develop software targeted for protecting hosts and empowering them to automate.

We're also very security orientated.

The logo is a bit of fun, as we want to lighten up the mood and enjoy developing the product.

Last edited by a moderator:

rsk

Verified Provider
Great to kickstart some healthy competition in the VPS panel market.

However, the Skull logo doesn't kind of suit the VPS panel idea. "I think" :p

k0nsl

Bad Goy
@HostGuard:

As far as I know I've not seen any information about what language this is coded in, tried looking on your site as well but found zilch. I have not downloaded it either, just browsing the available information given here and on the site.

Did you write this entirely from scratch?

It doesn't look bad at all, and I guess if I tried the UI it might give a better impression too.

[EDIT]

entire -> entirely

Meh, I'm tired.

Last edited by a moderator:

HostGuard

Verified Provider
Great to kickstart some healthy competition in the VPS panel market.

However, the Skull logo doesn't kind of suit the VPS panel idea. "I think" :p
Hehe, criticism is taken on board. I don't want to change it though because I want to get some masks made up as we're the "guards" that protect and run your hosting business.

HostGuard

Verified Provider
[EDIT]

entire -> entirely

Meh, I'm tired.
Get some sleep.

To answer your questions so you don't need to think:

We've built it off the Code Igniter framework therefore it uses PHP and yes we did write it from scratch.

NodePacket

Verified Provider
Couple of Questions:

Encryption and Security?

What are the prices towards migrating from SolusVM?

NickM

Verified Provider
Couple of Questions:

Encryption and Security?
All communication between the Master and the nodes is done over SSH using 2048 bit RSA keys.  User passwords are bcrypt hashed.  We do not store any VM root passwords in the database.

In the interest of complete disclosure, we do have to note that there are some sensitive things stored in plaintext, due to restrictions in the underlying protocols.

First, due to a restriction in QEMU and libvirt, we do store KVM VNC console passwords in plaintext.  Basically, the restriction is that the VNC password must be sent to libvirt in plaintext, and libvirt stores it in plaintext in the VM config file, since the underlying hypervisor requires it to be in plaintext.

In the database backup settings and offsite snapshot storage settings, since we support password-based FTP and SFTP as protocols for transfering backups / snapshots to another server, those passwords are stored in plaintext.  We do support key-based authentication for SFTP, and provide instructions on setting that up, and we make it clear that password based authentication should NOT be used - it's only provided as a legacy option for those who have no other choice.

How long will the Release Special pricing be valid?
The Release Special pricing is limited to the first 20 customers.  The special $5 per node price applies to the first 100 nodes, and it's a lifetime price.

HostGuard

Verified Provider
So we can buy now and upgrade the slaves if we like it later at $5 a pop (up to 100)
That is correct. If you lock yourself in now, the discount will apply for life.

We don't plan on having specials in the future either so I would take advantage of this.

The plans do get cheaper as your business scales though.

MCH-Phil

Verified Provider
I'm glad to see more panels coming to market.  I, as I do with feathur, will support this with at least a min. subscription monthly.  Even if I am not actively using it.

HostGuard

Verified Provider
I'm glad to see more panels coming to market.  I, as I do with feathur, will support this with at least a min. subscription monthly.  Even if I am not actively using it.
We really do appreciate the support Phii. The feelings are reciprocated, as it makes us happy when we empower our clients through our software.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
How have I not seen this thread?

I'm always happy to see new things get created. Looks good man. Obviously many of the folks who would be interested in dropping SolusVM due to security related concerns would be interested in knowing if your panel has been thoroughly audited internally and externally. Sorry if it's been answered elsewhere.

NickM

Verified Provider
How have I not seen this thread?

I'm always happy to see new things get created. Looks good man. Obviously many of the folks who would be interested in dropping SolusVM due to security related concerns would be interested in knowing if your panel has been thoroughly audited internally and externally. Sorry if it's been answered elsewhere.
Yes. An external security audit was performed by Rack911 prior to the initial release.  Internally, every commit is looked over by at least Richard and myself.

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
I guess I will have to give this a spin this weekend.  You know what kind of spin.  ;)

amuck-landowner