amuck-landowner

LET Down?

Munzy

LET is a big community site.. very big. I really dont know why they keep the uptime below 99%. I think they has enought profit to rent a dedicated server or buy an owned litespeed webserver , or buy DDOS protection from many providers.

I really not understand how they could accept to happen this.

I think this. But i know.. very hard to manage a server... to keep it nearest 100% so i understand this.

Patience at all :)
I am sorry, but you have no idea what you are talking about.

k0nsl

Bad Goy
It's down, again.

<k0nsl> .isup lowendtalk.com
<river> It's not just you. http://lowendtalk.com looks 4down from here!

[edit]

Welp. I didn't see the previous page.

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
The downtime perplexes me with those sites....  They are big sites if you look at corrupted metrics like Alexa.  Don't go comparing something like that to say BuySellsAds numbers.  Huge difference.

I mean if they can't even keep up their own sites.... What happens when you are a customer subletting servers / renting?

They built some cluster supposedly for the sites.  What did they claim?  8 front ends or something????  Odds are they did 8 VPS instances on the same box speaking VLAN/internally to MySQL/web stack on same box.

Someone over there can't scale things right or deal with malicious traffic.  With all the practice, they should be experts.  

Surely they pissed the wrong schoolboy off and now their sites must pay.

Unsure why the lad doesn't take ColoCrossing.com offline while he's at it.   If you want to cripple someone you go after their money.  Kind of like some bastard in Buffalo contacting someone's boss... ho hum.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
LET is a big community site.. very big. I really dont know why they keep the uptime below 99%. I think they has enought profit to rent a dedicated server or buy an owned litespeed webserver , or buy DDOS protection from many providers.

I really not understand how they could accept to happen this.

I think this. But i know.. very hard to manage a server... to keep it nearest 100% so i understand this.

Patience at all :)
I handled a bunch of the maintenance on the old LE box and I can assure you, it doesn't need anything that large. Comments/viewership is down, anyone that's an advertiser can confirm the figures being far less than they were when LEA was still running it.

Back then each site ran inside an OpenVZ instance hosted on an E3 running proxmox. Load average was well under < 1 on each of them with minimal/no optimization on our part. The CC guys are just partially retarded because they think they can ride a spoofed SYN flood by just throwing raw iron at the problem without having anyone on staff that knows anything about DDOS attacks.

There's the running joke of the cluster or cluster error and all that. For those unaware, the site supposedly consists of an 8 server cluster now to load balance everything in a master<>master replication (not confirmed but given the funny syncing issues they had in the past it makes sense). Why do you need so much iron when the site is generating less impressions than when LEA ran it?

I highly recommend you don't use Alexa to judge the size of any site, anywhere. Alexa's entire system is based on how many people view your site with their search bar enabled. There's many bot herders out there that mass install the toolbar and then sell 'alexa rankings'. Infact for a while there was a few for sale on WHT until they got delisted/left.

Remember, the site used to literally host on a ~100MB RAM box from QuickWeb and that was back when the site was in its prime. The site is far from its prime, especially when they constantly keep relisting providers with extremely terrible histories.

Francisco

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Since Uncle Fran is giving LowendHistoryLessons I'll toss this on the fire.

Ironic that back in the day, oh was that February 2012 when Lowendtalk was hosted on Linode.   LET got DDoS'd and it went on and on.  The site stayed down for days.

Then all of a sudden - to the rescue - ColoCrossing.   A company with no DDoS protection, no defined expertise with such, etc.   

Just like that, site migrated out of Linode over to ColoCrossing and all those big nasty attacks just stopped.

Irony isn't lost.   

Maybe the new owner of Lowend is staging the DDoS for more public theater and distraction.

:popcorn:

AuroraZero

What truly needs to happen is some one over there needs to pull their heads out of their asses and get a handle on things. The whole place is like a sinking ship with no Captain. If they did that the place might actually become something again.

Right now as it stands the place can't, and won't become anymore then it is now. I will not come right out and say the people running don't have a clue but what they are showing is incompetence of the highest order. Most of the people who browse the site could do a better job keeping it online then they have thus far, and don't get me started on the hosts that should be flushed down the toilet.

I guess I should stop ranting and go back to lurking lol. I am better at that anyways it seems.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
CC offered Joel a 4 x 1gbit port bonded setup that was to be used for some tanking power.

The box was provisioned as an E3 using its onboard ports, no additionals and no LACP/LAG port merging.

No UDP ACL's were in place either (I know this is 100% true since it was easy to confirm).

Francisco

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
What????? @AuroraZero   they have a fearless leader Kossen.  He's a waffler though.  Waffles between knowing and doing right and being Biloh's paycheck whore.

Is his auto-posting of bullsh!t BlueVM offers bubblegummed up for the n'th time not effective :) ?  I know how they can improve it --- with a GVH offering on LEB :)  Oh wait that won't work.  BuyLow call the Blanchard boys and have them spin up some more fake-low-end-co's.

See problem over there isn't that they don't get it.  They get it alright, just in it to get more of the market pie by hook or by crook.  Like them bugging LET and LEB with AdRoll code for Servermania.

I think all the Buffalo boys should join Kossen in an euro-pee-on vacation for a few months of holiday.  Cause the contributions by folks in roles, meh, it's like autopilot-on-drunk.

tdale

Verified Provider
I'm not sure what is going on with it :( All i know is i called CC and informed them of the issue. Hopefully someone has already taken action or is going to take action shortly. This is the longest its been down for a while now.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
What truly needs to happen is some one over there needs to pull their heads out of their asses and get a handle on things. The whole place is like a sinking ship with no Captain. If they did that the place might actually become something again.

Right now as it stands the place can't, and won't become anymore then it is now. I will not come right out and say the people running don't have a clue but what they are showing is incompetence of the highest order. Most of the people who browse the site could do a better job keeping it online then they have thus far, and don't get me started on the hosts that should be flushed down the toilet.

I guess I should stop ranting and go back to lurking lol. I am better at that anyways it seems.
If they cared about the site they would take a hard stance against really really really shitty service being provided by many providers, even if they are large customers of them. Do you think CVPS/BlueVM/123S/WLS are in a position to leave CC in protest if Biloh/@mpkossen laid down the law on service quality before another post? Lets be serious.

Fran

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
May I present this:

0amtFiCOHs3MBRZ.png
(this 'toon is all that much funnier when you read URL before and see it came from ColoCrossing's internet / internal facing stuff)

AuroraZero

What????? @AuroraZero   they have a fearless leader Kossen.  He's a waffler though.  Waffles between knowing and doing right and being Biloh's paycheck whore.

Is his auto-posting of bullsh!t BlueVM offers bubblegummed up for the n'th time not effective :) ?  I know how they can improve it --- with a GVH offering on LEB :)  Oh wait that won't work.  BuyLow call the Blanchard boys and have them spin up some more fake-low-end-co's.

See problem over there isn't that they don't get it.  They get it alright, just in it to get more of the market pie by hook or by crook.  Like them bugging LET and LEB with AdRoll code for Servermania.

I think all the Buffalo boys should join Kossen in an euro-pee-on vacation for a few months of holiday.  Cause the contributions by folks in roles, meh, it's like autopilot-on-drunk.

I know they know exactly what they are doing and have known for a long time. Fact of the matter is at some point the house of cards is going to come crumbling down. You can only stack shit so high before it starts to crumble and stink so bad some one begins to notice.

They could not pay me enough to give up my integrity to run that site. My scruples and honor would get in the way and I would have to tell the owners to go get bent. There is not enough money in the world for me to condone that behavior.

If they cared about the site they would take a hard stance against really really really shitty service being provided by many providers, even if they are large customers of them. Do you think CVPS/BlueVM/123S/WLS are in a position to leave CC in protest if Biloh/@mpkossen laid down the law on service quality before another post? Lets be serious.

Fran
I was really surprised that they banned Johnny boy and made it stick for as long as they have to be honest. I figured it would be a few days and he would be back. I refuse to do any business with any company that has server in a CC location. I will not touch with a ten foot pole. I have a VPS that UGVPS gave me a long time ago that I refuse to even boot up. The networks was so, so, to begin with and the disk meh.... so no big loss, but anyways at some point they will run that site into the ground or some one high enough up in the government will take notice and the whole scheme will come down around their ears.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
They are trying to apply POODLE patch

...but no one seems to find where LET's https config is 

But that would imply SSL for their sites and they have dragged their feet to bloody points screaming about how they can't do that...

It was like BuySellAds fault originally the claimed... No ads on SSL site, yeah right, sure... Then I stopped paying attention to the theater.

I like when Darwin speaks:

LE* is down due to natural selection ;)

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I was really surprised that they banned Johnny boy and made it stick for as long as they have to be honest. I figured it would be a few days and he would be back.
My take on the GVH ban is simple.

Although GVH drives sales into BuyLow's pocket, GVH really was taking a public hammer to their el cheapo VPS sales (a flex market that is very profitable compared to having to deliver a physical server to a single customer).  GVH took CVPS insanity plans and mass multiplied the insanity while ripping the prices down even further.  GVH uptime, support, etc. are probably even better than CVPS/123/Blue these days.  So it's direct compete in the same eco system.

As ages ago it was said, COMPETITION IS A SIN.

BuyLow's bean counters didn't like the chomping going on out of the ill gotten LE* pie GVH was doing.

Plus for as dishonest as Jonny has been strategically, he has been very honest at times about revealing matters and that has CC perma-bent.

Whether or not two community members were involved / using the same IP / etc.  meh, I suspect they weren't and that was cover BS.  Look how they were unbanned and matter silently circled down the drain.

Needless to say, the buzzards at CC/CVPS were instantly after ban probably talking to the lad about stealing his company away.

Me, I hope he runs away from CC for his own good.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
My take on the GVH part is that @mpkossen took a stance to get rid of a problem user and if Biloh/Sysadmin reversed his decision, it would've likely put a really big dent in their relationship.

Think about it. If Biloh unbanned GVH after @mpkossen banned him, it'd just mean GVH has immunity from being dumb/silly/etc and to not touch him for the sake of the bottom line, nothing more. It isn't like GVH's IMMEDIATE PRESS RELEASES brought any value to the community past laughs and a swarm of people spamming the threads. I guess there's "value" in views but...

Francisco

AuroraZero

There is no way he could survive away from CC now @drmike. He has burnt way too many bridges. Not just with the whole GVH thing but with everything he done. He is a big drama queen and not many people will put up with that. Not even from a client. No matter how much money is involved.

I am sure on some level he has to know. If he doesn't then he is not so smart and needs to doing a lot of growing up before trying it again in any industry.

amuck-landowner