amuck-landowner

List of VPS/Dedi providers using Colo Crossing

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I have bought one VPS on the last year from there. That company has now "merged" with another company and moved me. I do not "trust" many of the companies on that site anymore since I can not tell who runs them and what not. Plus they all seem to have the same locations. Not sure if this is by design or not, but I am beginning to think it might just be the case.
That's pretty much the basis of a lot of the findings that have been posted on here. Yes, some of it comes off as tinfoil hat material. Yes, it can drag on at times and become overwhelming and yes, Buffa should drink less coffee at night.

In the end, though, it's a gamed market. If the site was listed as 'this is owned by colocrossing, operated by colocrossing, and as a perk of being our customer, we give you free advertising slots to improve your business!' then people would be happy and the drama would mostly all end. The problem, though, is the community is marketed as being unbiased, equal visibility for all datacenters, etc, but it isn't.

You have new companies < 1 week old getting listed and deadpooling yet long term hosts with solid business waiting for 3+ months. Is it because the 1st host is with CC and the 2nd isn't? Probably but alas there's always that 1% uncertainty.

There are a lot of easy ways for them to fix things but that goes against it. The big thing they all have brought up is how much the site cost to buy. Yet, they rake a good $8k/m gross off ads to host 2 sites that would be fine off a pair of KVM's. As amazing as the cluster claims to be, it's a shame. The backend IP's haven't changed, it's still hosted entirely off the same /29 it was back when I helped migrate it from linode.

Francisco

Awmusic12635

Verified Provider
Personally I have never had to wait very long to be posted on LEB. Never longer than a month for sure.

2days - 1 month is what I have seen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Personally I have never had to wait very long to be posted on LEB. Never longer than a month for sure.

2days - 1 month is what I have seen.
Did you ever have stuff in CC? I honestly can't remember what you had prior to the merge. From what I remember you guys don't use CC for much if

anything now? If you ever did?

It's likely the writers (is there more than mpkossen still?) pick out their favourites too. When I wanted to get posted I usually just talked to Asim

directly and he'd do up a post if I gave him enough lead time (I tried to give him a week unless there was something fun we wanted).

Favourites is fine so long as it's their honest favourites and not twisted/forced.

There's still the unsolved case of UGVPS/Thomas/Crystal that's long since sunk and ignored.

Francisco

Awmusic12635

Verified Provider
Did you ever have stuff in CC? I honestly can't remember what you had prior to the merge. From what I remember you guys don't use CC for much if

anything now? If you ever did?

It's likely the writers (is there more than mpkossen still?) pick out their favourites too. When I wanted to get posted I usually just talked to Asim

directly and he'd do up a post if I gave him enough lead time (I tried to give him a week unless there was something fun we wanted).

Favourites is fine so long as it's their honest favourites and not twisted/forced.

There's still the unsolved case of UGVPS/Thomas/Crystal that's long since sunk and ignored.

Francisco
Our KVM in LA is still CVPS -> CC atm until the finish up all the moves to owned hardware (in progress) however only one offer ever included that KVM.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Our KVM in LA is still CVPS -> CC atm until the finish up all the moves to owned hardware (in progress) however only one offer ever included that KVM.
Aaah, OK.

Off topic - I thought you guys were all pulled but I thought I read somewhere that you were having shipment issues as well. Bastard L5520/L5639's!

Francisco

Awmusic12635

Verified Provider
Aaah, OK.

Off topic - I thought you guys were all pulled but I thought I read somewhere that you were having shipment issues as well. Bastard L5520/L5639's!

Francisco
Delays with our last dedicated offer on LEB yea. Delivered a decent amount with some remaining.

In dallas we only have the storage and a few legacy customers to move to owned HW and the KVM in LA then we will be fully on our own network and hardware (Already did others).

We are focusing on Dallas first

GVH-Jon

Banned
The plans that we posted on LowEndTalk are way beyond sustainable. We're beyond financially stable actually and we're not in debt. We're actually just fundraising for a mass expansion plan.

The total in our open invoices from our upstream (none are overdue) is just under $1,500. Not much at all, really.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
The plans that we posted on LowEndTalk are way beyond sustainable. We're beyond financially stable actually and we're not in debt. We're actually just fundraising for a mass expansion plan.

The total in our open invoices from our upstream (none are overdue) is just under $1,500. Not much at all, really.
You let me know once you get 5 TOR relay nodes burning 100mbit/sec each for $35/month if your CC bills stay the same. There is a lot of hungry

TOR/torrents/etc people that will gobble that up.

Now, it's possible your TOS/AUP deals with those people but then you'll just get some image mirror host or things like that.

You aren't getting 500mbit/sec for $35/month and neither is anyone at CC. It's possible they're just selling a hugely excessive volume that they got on sale, but then you'd be (hopefully) putting a stock cap.

Francisco

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Delays with our last dedicated offer on LEB yea. Delivered a decent amount with some remaining.

In dallas we only have the storage and a few legacy customers to move to owned HW and the KVM in LA then we will be fully on our own network and hardware (Already did others).

We are focusing on Dallas first
Isn't Dallas your main deployment DC? And the others are 'Pods' or is the idea to make all locations equal?

Francisco

GVH-Jon

Banned
You let me know once you get 5 TOR relay nodes burning 100mbit/sec each for $35/month if your CC bills stay the same. There is a lot of hungry

TOR/torrents/etc people that will gobble that up.

Now, it's possible your TOS/AUP deals with those people but then you'll just get some image mirror host or things like that.

You aren't getting 500mbit/sec for $35/month and neither is anyone at CC. It's possible they're just selling a hugely excessive volume that they got on sale, but then you'd be (hopefully) putting a stock cap.

Francisco
TOR is strictly prohibited on our network. Our ToS/AUP deals with abusers. A stock cap will not be placed. If we happen to get some people that actually use their resources and we have to pay overages, we'll pay it because it's our responsibility to honor what we sell.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
TOR is strictly prohibited on our network. Our ToS/AUP deals with abusers. A stock cap will not be placed. If we happen to get some people that actually use their resources and we have to pay overages, we'll pay it because it's our responsibility to honor what we sell.
You get a thumbs up and a head nod for being honest on that. If it bites, you'll eat it and that's all anyone can ask.

Best of luck and may the image/VPN hosters never find your offer!

Francisco

Awmusic12635

Verified Provider
Isn't Dallas your main deployment DC? And the others are 'Pods' or is the idea to make all locations equal?

Francisco
Dallas is the main deployment for Fliphost yes. LA was an expansion in the summer. The end goal is to get all our services in each location.

Ex.

Dallas:

VZ SSD

VZ storage

VZ HDD (legacy customers)

LA:

KVM SSD

So bringing VZ to LA and KVM to Dallas would standardize our service offering making it less confusing. Will see what the future holds.

concerto49

Verified Provider

Francisco
LA is planned in 2014. We'll make it equal :)

Can't do everything at once. End goal is to make all locations equal. Just doing it one at a time.

Kris

You get a thumbs up and a head nod for being honest on that. If it bites, you'll eat it and that's all anyone can ask.

Francisco
Overage pricing? Haha. GVH was a reseller of HVH (as everyone knows) and publicly gave up the 2 shared hosting VPS to "HVH". Then seemingly overnight went from shared hosting and reseller services to only VPS servers with SSD and CC pass-thru E3 servers all over his signature, even here.. 

Soon after the 2k+ of debt and CC takeover from HVH, within 1-2 weeks many of HVH's previous resellers seem to have been groomed by CC, some got a new site design. Hell, GVH even ditched his business model & customers to resell CC dedicated servers. Looks like a tight ship, but his epic WHT posts and fights showed the true age though when things got heated. 

Anyone noticing a pattern yet? To be fair, it's not only these guys. We have one guy who claims to be impartial but is selling CC cookie-cutter machines on WHT with 100+ IPs at $120/mo... Nah, you're part of the problem. 

Back to observing from a distance :popcorn: 

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent

Francisco
GVH-Jon, I want to like and believe your offers, but I've been at this general data thing longer than I think you've been alive.    I saw plans at < $7 a month with 30TB+ of bandwidth a month.   Not to get the providers here up in a stir, but I am certain there are enough of them that aren't pushing that (30TB+)  on a  total node and perhaps not across their several servers collectively per month.

You are offering 100Mbit~ highly saturated to push that sort of monthly.

There aren't many uses or interest in such, unless people are 1. downloading media   2. torrents   3. spidering   4. TOR  5. reselling service   6. CDN.   Every one of those use cases can and will use as much as they can.  

Inevitably, someone mean (so it's not me) is going to buy a few accounts and put your service limits to the test/wall.   Isn't that in essence what happened with your Cpanel hosting?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent

Damn it man!

Look, selling 4GB of RAM + 8GB of burst + +++++ = not sustainable.

Are you rolling out large RAM (i.e. 128GB+) servers?   I doubt it.   Probably the 16/32GB house E3's.   I am betting to save cash, 16GB of RAM.   So you are allocating 1/4 of the entire server RAM per container or could be utilized.   Yeah, customers don't use it.  So you are running the oversell ratio massively and hoping no one bursts and hoping your SSD cache smooths things when such does happen.

Believe me if these plans were honest and sustainable, I'd launch fat nodes (512GB+)  and drown the industry.

We're actually just fundraising for a mass expansion plan.

No kidding? :)  That was obvious, just like the crazy annuals I keep seeing out of CC land.   Invoice time, time to fund raise.   Now the new code term is "expansion"?   You rent / lease servers.  Expanding is telling CC to allocate you another and bill you for it.

$1500/mo invoice.... So 10 E3 servers.  Each at $150 or less (your special in house pricing).  I bet you have less servers and are paying more on a few.  Maybe, oh 6-8 tops.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Buffa should drink less coffee at night.
I am a tea drinker :)  I don't have night or day.  My schedule is when things need done I get up and do them.   So I am often around.   Nights tend to be quieter and I can focus more then (usually).   Lately it's been 24/7 go-go with work. 

GVH-Jon

Banned
Can't really make long explanations on my galaxy, ill get to answering everything ASAP once I'm back on a laptop

Happy new years eve every1 btw!

Awmusic12635

Verified Provider
GVH-Jon, I want to like and believe your offers, but I've been at this general data thing longer than I think you've been alive.    I saw plans at < $7 a month with 30TB+ of bandwidth a month.   Not to get the providers here up in a stir, but I am certain there are enough of them that aren't pushing that (30TB+)  on a  total node and perhaps not across their several servers collectively per month.

You are offering 100Mbit~ highly saturated to push that sort of monthly.

There aren't many uses or interest in such, unless people are 1. downloading media   2. torrents   3. spidering   4. TOR  5. reselling service   6. CDN.   Every one of those use cases can and will use as much as they can.  

Inevitably, someone mean (so it's not me) is going to buy a few accounts and put your service limits to the test/wall.   Isn't that in essence what happened with your Cpanel hosting?
To be fair, our storage plans have had the 30TB bandwidth for quite some time and it isn't really an issue.

amuck-landowner