amuck-landowner

Live chat

tekkiegurl

Having a live chat for customer is a  option for customer who have less technical problems. Customer would greatly appreciate if they get quick answer for easy problems they encounter.

FireWood

Live chat is a must have. It just makes a web hosting company more complete. Without it can still function, but with it its the best.

concerto49

Verified Provider
In theory it's good but if you put someone good on live chat, it'll be expensive - if you put a lower tiered staff there, it means it's just a deflection service.

A lot of live chats I've gone to ended up like, "Please tell me more about X"

Live Chat: "I'll have a member of the team reach out to you."

Repeat for every other question you need answering.

Reece-DM

Verified Provider
It would depend on staff and the costs to run 24x7.

I'd expect most LEB host's are not able to spend that little extra due to the very tight profit margins.

Damian

Verified Provider
We had a staff meeting and voted to remove the live chat from our site. Despite being named "SALES chat", people seemed to think it was for live technical support. We do not offer live technical support.

SkylarM

Verified Provider
We had a staff meeting and voted to remove the live chat from our site. Despite being named "SALES chat", people seemed to think it was for live technical support. We do not offer live technical support.
Yeah that's the downside to live chat. It's nice to have it, but a lot of people use it for technical support when that isn't the intent.

ThePrimeHost

Verified Provider
Live Sales Chat with a guy who can give you instant quotes: YES

Live Support Chat with a useless guy telling everyone to open ticket: NO

This. Sales and customer service is fine (i.e. questions about products, how do you get XYZ ordered etc). Technical support, no. It doesn't work. Period.
We offer it and it's important that clients be able to get ahold of staff quickly and know someone is there to address their issue. That being said, Technical Support chat is really only good for simple and quick issues (i.e. general q and a's ...firewall blocks on a shared server, etc..). For drawn out or more complex issues, clients really do need to put in a ticket as "live technical chat" is not a viable medium for that kind of support.

Jade

NodeServ
Verified Provider
We offer it and it's important that clients be able to get ahold of staff quickly and know someone is there to address their issue. That being said, Technical Support chat is really only good for simple and quick issues (i.e. general q and a's ...firewall blocks on a shared server, etc..). For drawn out or more complex issues, clients really do need to put in a ticket as "live technical chat" is not a viable medium for that kind of support.
Which is why you really only use live chat for Sales, and technical support for shared hosting, any help needed beyond that, then a ticket would need to be created to assist the client further.

ThePrimeHost

Verified Provider
Which is why you really only use live chat for Sales, and technical support for shared hosting, any help needed beyond that, then a ticket would need to be created to assist the client further.
In the cases where chat is not sufficent medium and a client requires a ticket we either direct them to our helpdesk or create a ticket for them. I believe there is still a certain satisfaction in knowing their issue is known and being addressed by live "humans".

Jade

NodeServ
Verified Provider
In the cases where chat is not sufficent medium and a client requires a ticket we either direct them to our helpdesk or create a ticket for them. I believe there is still a certain satisfaction in knowing their issue is known and being addressed by live "humans".
Couldn't agree with you more, a client loves to know that their's someone a click away to help them with issues they are facing.

Patrick

INIZ.COM
Verified Provider
Only good for sales but support is much easier to track and log through tickets. Also always good idea to 'hide' live chat when your offline

AlexBarakov

Verified Provider
As other have said, I find it useful for a hosting provider to have sales over live chat. Support over live chat is frustrating and I personally prefer sending a ticket as a client.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Live chat, yes, folks ought to have it especially for pre-sales and issues following the transaction.

Technical issues should get shoe horned into ticketing.

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
They should have that satisfaction regardless of the method used to contact you. If they don't then perhaps the problem lies with the ticketing side of an operation rather than anything else.

Magiobiwan

Insert Witty Statement Here
Verified Provider
Tickets can be a somewhat hard way to handle things like sales and some tech support issues. IRC is a nice way to do it.

jmaben

Live chat has the ability to provide the convenient answers that customers want, while also adding significant benefits to the staff and bottom line of companies.

These are some basic benefits of live chat:

• Convert more visitors into customers
  • Grow Sales and Improved Corporate Branding
  • Improve customer loyalty and satisfaction
  • Reduce customer support costs
  • Faster product enhancements
  • Improve support team's efficiency
  • Proactive Sales 
  • Helps improving marketing efforts
  • Resolves website visitors’ queries in real-time
  • Live Chat Helps Optimize Your Website
  • Expand communication channel
I am using Live2Support live chat since 2010 which is helping in my business growth.

rsk

Verified Provider
To be completely honest with you, we used to run live chat, now we are removing it when we redesign the site by new year.

Why? because an interactive knowledge-base (that is well written) is far more better than to sit in a p2p chat for 1 hour just to accomplish what a 2-5minutes knowledge-base article would convey.

:)

amuck-landowner