amuck-landowner

Looking to Colo

KuJoe

Verified Provider
OP can say why not, but I often colo gear and have in the past because of specific gear I can't get from a facility.  Use to be stacks of SSDs :)   Still not affordable to get them in a server.    I like to own my gear, so one time cost to acquire and have things right is golden.

Do I colo what I've cobbled or do I get a $200+ server rental?  Cause you know the SSDs tack on monthly pretty good.  Colo usually wins out.  Plus I keep my gear out and deployed until failures become too costly then we just bring it back in house and repair it and use it elsewhere (usually internally). 
So far every dedicated server provider I've worked with allows you to ship drives to them, some charge a one-time remote hands fees while some will install it for free. I'm currently renting a server and I bought some nice drives on Newegg while they were on sale, I just shipped the drives and they installed them for free.

Last edited by a moderator:

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
WSI will not. 

Quadranet (Who I am looking at right now for Colo) does not have the prices I would like for a dedi. Colocation would be better for me in the end.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
It's nice where/when a facility allows your own drives.  It is random who does and doesn't support this.

Know years ago, when things were much more expensive, I'd ship drives in removable sleds from time to time.  Sometimes new data, sometimes just drive upgrades.   Had to work with some folks about such, so stuck with companies who were down to earth and billing me for receipt, unpackaging and swapping them was fine.

I know Dacentec handles drives you ship on their Rent-To-Own servers.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
CommercialMedia let me ship my own drives to them for 30 minutes of remote hands. I had 2 1TB drives and 1 SSD ready to ship before I moved to Colorado where the latency wasn't as good (I kept the server and use it for playing around with and @mikho has a VM on it for his own use also).

So I could have 2x Intel Xeon L5420s, 16GB RAM, 2x 256GB SSDs, 2x 1TB SATAs, 5 IPv4, and an unmetered 100Mbps port for $35/month. Of course the downside is that I don't have anything for remote management so I rely on tickets for reboots but luckily I've only experienced one outage in 4 months and it was resolved before I woke up. Might be worth looking into.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Yeah CommercialMedia isn't a company I'd be going near.   Lots of issues with offer on LEB not so far in the past and issues in the past prior to that.

Single homed --- or were.

Same company owns Megacolo I believe, so buyers beware.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Quadranet ---- people cling to them like other common places.  I haven't been impressed with services or the network there.  Although if you are in Asia, it might be best spot for you on the low cost colo side.

Haven't seen pricing lately on their colo.  Have to be slews of folks offering resold/in their rack colo there.

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
With the fact that I run some fairly important mirrors on my dedis I want somewhere I can really trust. I have a failover, but I want to have a reliable main machine.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Yeah CommercialMedia isn't a company I'd be going near.   Lots of issues with offer on LEB not so far in the past and issues in the past prior to that.

Single homed --- or were.

Same company owns Megacolo I believe, so buyers beware.
Yeah, they've had a lot of negative reviews but for $35/month I consider it a disposable server. Sure it takes ~12 hours for some tickets now but for a personal server it's been awesome with only 34 minutes of downtime since I got it. :)

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
Quadranet ---- people cling to them like other common places.  I haven't been impressed with services or the network there.  Although if you are in Asia, it might be best spot for you on the low cost colo side.

Haven't seen pricing lately on their colo.  Have to be slews of folks offering resold/in their rack colo there.
There's a reason. They're reliable and just work.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
r it's been awesome with only 34 minutes of downtime since I got it.

Glad they are delivering to one customer :)

@jarland has had a good experience with them also. 

Sadly, many have not for all sorts of real issues.

qps

Verified Provider
We have Dual Xeon L5420 servers in Atlanta for $49 available from our LEB special, if that will work.

Zach

Verified Provider
$10/A isn't too bad :)  Perhaps low these days actually.  Let's see:

1A = 120 watts

120 watts x 720 hours in a month = 86400
1A != 120 watts.  Depends on the voltage of the drop.  Some offer 208V, some offer 240V (Colostore does this).  So:

1A @ 120V = 120W

1A @ 208V = 208W

1A @ 240V = 240W

And so on.

Also, 120V is pretty inefficient comparatively.  Look for providers that offer 208 or 240.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
FDC allows it but you lose ownership of the equipment.

Fiberhub might? QPS might if you forgo ownership of said shipment.

Francisco

amuck-landowner